Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
article-0-1D26BC1300000578-832_634x800.jpg article-0-1D26BC1F00000578-390_634x827.jpg article-0-1D26BCEB00000578-186_634x731.jpg

dubpynchon

One Too Many

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It surprised me, certainly. It coincides with the wider AG44 uniform coming in, though, when the US Army went green instead of brown. There were similar coats issued earlier, of course (c/f m442, M442A, g1....); there was a cotton equivalent OG107(?) something or other in Korea; I've also seen a very similar coat (photos only, not in person) labelled an M51 Overcoat, so it's plausible there have been several similar coats with different nomenclature over the years.
In any case, military origins aside, the AG44 makes a fantastic, civilian overcoat with an overall look that could pass for 40s or 50s, at a currently very affordable price.
It's only taken me six months to honour my promise to show you the trench coat. There's some puckering of the material at the top of the sleeve, how it happened beats me. The lady in the dry cleaners that I use suggested that it could have been a stain that the previous owner might have treated with a scrubbing brush. Maybe it's just the fabric as it ages. It doesn't bother me, I love the coat and it's aged appearance just adds to the classic style. The coat still retains all it's qualities, it keeps me warm and dry, being totally rain proof.
Camera 1 454.JPG

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Excellent coat, GHT. It really does have a vintage feel, proving what Edward said that although military it makes a great civilian coat.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Excellent coat, GHT. It really does have a vintage feel, proving what Edward said that although military it makes a great civilian coat.
Thank you, it just shows though, you can spend hours and hours searching for something and not have any luck. When my wife drew my attention to this coat at the festival that we were at, she said you'll be lucky to find one as good at the price.
A year earlier she came across a white tux, well cream actually, I had wanted one just for specific occasions, but knowing that I wouldn't wear it very often, didn't want to pay a lot. My missus found a beauty for just twenty pounds. You just have to be aware and don't dither. If it turns out not to be as good as you thought, it's not too difficult to sell it on.

Edward

Bartender
It looks great. Shows too how sometimes thinking outside the box of our preferred time period can pay dividends for an accurate look; I'd never have thought to look for a sixties overcoat to give me a good forties look!

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A camouflaged trench coat? I guess it qualifies as a trench coat; it has all the standard/classic features.

I think this is not a good look. Not even for RDJ. And I'm a trench coat lover. I tend to be of the school of thought that, on grownups (civilian grownups), camo rarely works. Part of the allure of a standard single-color trench coat is that it carries a subtle hint of military authority, without over-stating it. This camo version is too much.

56359447_2074887679233854_5261455285721339888_n.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ I'm with you on that point, Tom. But we live in an age when adults want to be teens again (cough cough, baby boomers, cough cough) so it happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ