Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser gals

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Indeed, pants without pockets are just a waste.

I have the top two patterns Kitty T posted, and all of the pants I have made of late have been from that top pattern. In fact Im wearing a pair right now :rolleyes:

I find to get a great look you are going to want to pay attention to the fit around the waist. Make sure its snug, high in the back (goes over your bum) and gives the leg a good drape. If your pant leg wraps around your leg as you walk, then they may be cut funny or not hanging properly form up top.

Yay pants!

LD

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I really want to find some to purchase for grad school because I don't want to 'dress up' to go to class (thinking more a Katherine Hepburn/Lauren Bacall tailored look)

I probably will wait and see....I'm losing weight and don't want to be too hasty...either with the pants or the girdle to go underneath.

The thread is giving me some food for thought, though!

Mary

Practically Family
The seamstress wanted 350 kr or 60 US dollars. I had to supply the fabric and all that. Unfortunately she wouldn't be able to do them for several months. So I might go looking elsewhere.

But I belive I picked the cheapest model without visible buttons and pockets. I want a pair with invisible fastening on the inside on both sides and cuffs, no pleats and straight and wide of cause.

I've been recommended to use wool gabardine. But summers to come. What fabrics do you use? And if theirs a link or a picture of the fabris I'd love to see it!

(I was actually thinking about having a fabric tread because I love older fabrics and I find it so hard to learn what fabrics are called. Most older clothes don't have labels. But the again it's hard to see in pictures what a fabric really looks and feels like.)

Have you bought any fabrics on the internet? It seems to be much cheaper than what I can find in shops.

M

TessTrueheart

Mary said:
The seamstress wanted 350 kr or 60 US dollars. I had to supply the fabric and all that. Unfortunately she wouldn't be able to do them for several months. So I might go looking elsewhere.

But I belive I picked the cheapest model without visible buttons and pockets. I want a pair with invisible fastening on the inside on both sides and cuffs, no pleats and straight and wide of cause.

I've been recommended to use wool gabardine. But summers to come. What fabrics do you use? And if theirs a link or a picture of the fabris I'd love to see it!
M

That is cheap. I don't sew myself, but I'd probably choose a viscose, cotton or linen fabric for summer.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I have a question ... I'm in the process of making a pair of 40's trousers (EvaDress 3322). I had a skilled seamstress grade the pattern and make a muslin after my measurements so the fit should be OK.

It seems that I have a bit of an MC Hammer pants thing going on, though. Should the trousers fit tightly in the crotch area, or are they meant to hang a couple of inches below the crotch? I suspect that the seat seam is a bit too roomy. (On the other hand, Hammer pants are basically Zoot pants, so they should be on spot period-wise, right? lol )
Thanks!

Oh, and I am planning on wearing the pants with a cream silk blouse and pearls, or short sleeved sweaters for casual days.

AnnaMaria

New in Town
Mary said:

M

That is cheap! I don't think I would make a pair of trousers for 350 kr.

Wool is often a good choice for these kind of trousers . Try to find a thin wool with a good drape (is that the right word?). Cotton and linen works well to (again if it drapes well) but they wrinkle easy. But if they are in a blend with rayon they wrinkle less.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Female Zoot Gang Gets Arrested

img429.jpg

1942 Zoot Girl Gang:

edit: oops, sorry for the hugeness

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mary said:

(I was actually thinking about having a fabric tread because I love older fabrics and I find it so hard to learn what fabrics are called. Most older clothes don't have labels. But the again it's hard to see in pictures what a fabric really looks and feels like.)

Have you bought any fabrics on the internet? It seems to be much cheaper than what I can find in shops.

M

For custom made slacks that will fit you and last a lifetime, thats a great deal. A seamstress will always have you provide the fabric. I say have 3 or 4 pairs made. Depending on how tall you are, 2-3 yards per pair will be enough. Id recommend wool gabardine. It drapes great, good for summer and winter wear, and its a classic weave that could last decades :)

LD

The Dame

One of the Regulars
positivelypinup said:
I bought some from stop staring, and i did not like them. I wish they had pockets on the side...I really love pockets!

Oh, yeah - gotta have pockets! I really like trousers that are inspired by men's wear - pinstripes, pockets, cuffs, tweeds, wools ... the whole nine yards. I just feel naked without pockets, and although I love vintage style, I am still a modern girl - I prefer to keep my cell phone on me, so a pocket is a must since I hate those belt thingys for cell phones.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
ShrinkingViolet said:
I have a question ... I'm in the process of making a pair of 40's trousers (EvaDress 3322). I had a skilled seamstress grade the pattern and make a muslin after my measurements so the fit should be OK.

It seems that I have a bit of an MC Hammer pants thing going on, though. Should the trousers fit tightly in the crotch area, or are they meant to hang a couple of inches below the crotch? I suspect that the seat seam is a bit too roomy. (On the other hand, Hammer pants are basically Zoot pants, so they should be on spot period-wise, right? lol )
Thanks!

Oh, and I am planning on wearing the pants with a cream silk blouse and pearls, or short sleeved sweaters for casual days.

I've had a few original pairs over the years. The crotch area has been much lower on every pair. Sounds correct to me. I did have a tailor take them up a bit in that area,because I didn't care to be that period correct. In other words,go with with your preference.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, all those patterns have a crotch that is way too high. Cut it down an inch to an inch and a half, making sure the taper of the cut is smooth. I had to do that, otherwise I got strange draping in the front, and camel toe at the crotch.:rolleyes:

Also, for ladies doing the modern 'high waist' pant, make sure its not hugging your hips and butt. As we can see from that great pic Shrinkingviolet posted, to get the look right, its snug at the waist only.

LD

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
rubyredlocks said:
I've had a few original pairs over the years. The crotch area has been much lower on every pair. Sounds correct to me. I did have a tailor take them up a bit in that area,because I didn't care to be that period correct. In other words,go with with your preference.

Ditto with what Ruby said. I've owned quite a few pairs over the years and the crotches are always lower than on modern pairs. Usually about 1-2 inches lower, depending on the pair. I find the lower crotch to be much more comfortable. I think because I am long waisted and have a long rise. Most modern pants give me bad camel toe and wedgies because they aren't long enough. It's so uncomfortable.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Id recommend wool gabardine. It drapes great, good for summer and winter wear, and its a classic weave that could last decades :)

LD

I have a vintage linen pair that are heavenly in the summertime. Wool would be too hot for me in the summertime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80