Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser hem lessons????

riosfernando

New in Town
Hello ladies,

Sorry for disrupt in your dominion, but, maybe you can help me. I am looking for some sewing lessons in the web. Where I live its hard to find a tailor. Where only you can go to make some clothes adjustments, like pants hem, is the cleaners business. The problem, the cost, they charge $24.00! It cannot be difficult try to learn it, how to hem a trouser.. Therefore, if you know some web sites or interactive lessons, please, address me to those sites.

Thank you.

Grimstar

Familiar Face
Allow me to also apologize for the intrusion into the ladies domain, but the thread title intrigued me... rios, this site might help http://craftandfabriclinks.com/sewingbook/sewbk6.html#hem ...if I find more, I'll edit this post and add them. The thing about sewing is, it's tricky to learn some things if you don't have someone to show you, but it's possible to figure it out, with practice. I'd recommend practicing on something you can afford to lose, before trying anything on a garment you like, like a nice vintage suit. The main advice I have, is always measure carefully before cutting, you can always take more off later, but once it's cut, there's no putting it back :) There's a decent article on hemming on this site, also. http://www.needlepointers.com/ShowArticles.aspx?NavID=734
And by the way...this is not meant to be critical...but the ladies are not the only ones who sew lol

riosfernando

New in Town
My apologies.....

"And by the way...this is not meant to be critical...but the ladies are not the only ones who sew lol"

My apologies, Grimstar, and to the others that I might offended. No critic taken, just thought, and was my error, that the women are more accustomed to that craft or task.

I am very grateful for the information and I will let you know the results.

Again, Thank you.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Do it.

It's a snap. I cuffed two pair of pants this week (my first attempts) and they are A-OK. Not hard to do at all.
And remember, Tommy Silva (This Old House) sews like a pro, and used to make all his daughter's dresses.

Grimstar

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
It's a snap. I cuffed two pair of pants this week (my first attempts) and they are A-OK. Not hard to do at all.
Yep, hemming is pretty easy. Everyone should know how to do a hem, sew on a button,...things like that, just as a general maintenance kind of thing. And thanks, zohar...that's why I responded in the first place...to save the ladies the trouble. lol And yes, there are lots of men that sew well...my favorite is the little old italian guy who showed me how to open a seam with a razor blade, instead of a seam ripper...much faster to do, but nerve-wracking in the beginning.

Adam_H

New in Town
Tailoring, like cooking, has traditionally been men's work.

My great-great grandfather was a tailor, and I'm proud to continue his tradition.

My first job was in a costume shop in college, where I learned to sew by hand and machine.

We were doing a Moliere play and I was in charge of the hats.
I ordered plain-crowned hats with 6-inch brims in several colors from a company in what was then still called Czechoslovakia. (I was concerned about the mercury standards a Soviet border state would employ in its felt manufacture; I'm angry, but not mad.) Lots of grosgrain trim and plumes and other foppery. Great fun.

"Halston got his start designing hats, you know," I would boast. "He made all of Fran's hats, from Kukla, Fran & Ollie."

Come to think of it, great-Gramma was a milliner.

Anyway, I have hemmed all my own trouser cuffs and jacket cuffs since, even if I buy a suit new.

Learning the hidden hem stitch for your pants isn't hard, and once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy