Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Classic Borsalino Fedora?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Well then, here's the best advise you'll ever get: Try a hat on before you buy it.

You've quoted that mantra before, but I still think, it's about the silliest advice I've ever heard on TFL! That would make it impossible for many Loungers to wear anything but the worst off-the-rack-hats. They may satisfy you - but they certainly do not satisfy me. Different strokes for different folks.

g.durand

One Too Many
I have decided on getting a custom-made fedora by Art Fawcett. Scouting eBay for a vintage hat would be too much of a hassle in terms of sizing, and I don't think I'll be able to find the hat that I truly want.

mendelboaz--You are a quick study. You will not be disappointed.

fedoracentric

Banned
You've quoted that mantra before, but I still think, it's about the silliest advice I've ever heard on TFL! That would make it impossible for many Loungers to wear anything but the worst off-the-rack-hats. They may satisfy you - but they certainly do not satisfy me. Different strokes for different folks.

Exactly right. But if all you care about is fit and you don't care at all about quality, I guess AC Lyles' advice is OK.

But it wouldn't work for me. Every hat I've ever bought has been off the Internet sight unseen (other than photos).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You've quoted that mantra before, but I still think, it's about the silliest advice I've ever heard on TFL!
That's rich! A fundamental rule of all things sartorial, that is inconvenient for you to abide by, is proclaimed to be silly.

fedoracentric

Banned
As to Borsos, they were once a very fine product. I'd suggest that ended by 1970 when the rest of the hat industry went kaput. I have a few from pre 1960 and they rival anything Stetson made.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
It's a shame, though... Borsalino's hats look very classy, and the fact that it's a family owned business just gives it that extra bump to really stand out above other hat manufacturers. I suppose falling victim to cheaper and more shoddy producing methods is just too easy nowadays. Thank goodness for craftsmen such as Art Fawcett.

There is an ample supply of Borsalino hats from the post war era available through eBay. My searches bring up many that were sold through American fashion retailers and imported by Americans visiting Italy in the 1950s. These are beautiful high quality hats, with great diversity in style and finishing techniques, many of which would be impossible to duplicate today in either a factory or custom hat. As souvenirs of foreign travel, some appear to have been worn little and survive in very good condition. It involves patient hunting and knowing your hat size (in my experience, Borsalino hats run small by quarter to half a size). Freight to the Netherlands might add to the cost.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I stopped at the Bergdorff Goodmans Mens Shop the other evening to pick up a copy of the new book "I Am Dandy", by friend Rose Callahan, which had gotten its publication party at the store. I was wearing my favorite vintage Borsalino. While I looked around I saw a small display of Borsalino hats for sale. Aside from the fact that the store had almost doubled the price from what's shown in the links above, I was astounded by the inferiority in quality of the hats, compared with mine, which I can assure you cost me a heck of a lot less than $700.

Latoso

Familiar Face
Well then, here's the best advise you'll ever get: Try a hat on before you buy it.

Unfortunately, I know this all too well since I only live 20 minutes from Optimo and Tiffany always manages to find me something stunning or recommend something custom that I never thought of.

As to Borsos, they were once a very fine product. I'd suggest that ended by 1970 when the rest of the hat industry went kaput. I have a few from pre 1960 and they rival anything Stetson made.

The family closed old factory and sold the business in the early 1980s. Up that point they still made super high qaulity hats. Panizza and Barbisio also made high quality hats into the 1970s. The Italian makers held in there the longest. P. & C. Habig Wien also made high quality hats into the 1980s.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I have a couple of the Bencraft Alessandrias. I wouldn't call them garbage. It's true that the sweat is not my favorite as it is not reeded, but after a couple of minutes, you don't notice it any more.

What I especially like is that this hat has the proper amount of stiffener in it so you can shape it well and the brim actually snaps. The vintage Borsolinos you find on ebay are frequently too soft to do much with in terms of taking the wrinkles out of the crown or snapping the brim.

I accept it for what it is instead of lament over what it is not. When it's on your head it looks good and no one is feeling it ("inferior felt!") or inspecting the sweat. Yes, the felt is not the same as the 1970s. Me? Don't care.

What I'm trying to say, if you like the new Alessandria, you won't hate it if you buy it.

Tom

I have a couple of the Bencraft Alessandrias. I wouldn't call them garbage. Tom

I agree. Still, the aesthetic and material differences between modern Borsalinos and those made 50-60 years ago are palpable. Old hats in excellent condition remain available in the vintage market for those whose tastes favor these differences.

modern:

newborso6.jpg

newborso7.jpg

1950s:

numesca6.jpg

numesca8.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
For those of us with big heads vintage isn't much of an option and the ones that do come up that are decent go for a premium. There is a 7 5/8 borso on the bay now, first vintage one I've seen in my size. I'll certainly bid on it. I would like to see/feel the difference everyone is talking about. Oh, to have a normal size head............

Sy must have kept them all... I never saw a one in the stores.

Tommy K, it is much harder shopping for the larger noggin and much harder abstaining for the teensy ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart