Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Classic Borsalino Fedora?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Ever since I saw Indiana Jones as a kid, I've wanted a vintage, classic fedora. Many hats have come and gone over the years, none truly being the real deal. Having come across Borsalino recently, I've been looking at getting one of their fine fedoras. Many people on this forum state they are the best in the fedorabusiness, and their hats do look the finest I have to say.

In their catalogue, many different fedoras are displayed, and I'm wondering: which one of them is the true, classic fedora? By classic I mean the exact style worn in the 30's, and in the movies Casablanca and Indiana Jones. I'm currently deciding between these two:

http://shop.borsalino.com/eshop/product/Borsalino-Mans-Collection-.html/1/pid/71784/frmCatID/36588/

http://shop.borsalino.com/eshop/product/Borsalino-Mans-Collection-.html/1/pid/71801/frmCatID/36588/

Would any of you, judging by these pictures and personal knowledge, be able to tell me which one of these two is the one I'm looking for? Or maybe it's another hat entirely?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

fedoracentric

Banned
Your answer, unfortunately, is neither! In fact, you simply will not be able to find a new, factory-made fedora that comes any where near the 1930s style of fedoras. Today's crowns are too short and too tapered. If you want a fedora true-to-style of the 1930s you have two choices. Watch ebay and get one actually made in the 30s (or buy one from a lounger here), or have a custom hatter make one for you.

No factory-made hat today will work if you want the true style.

Otherwise, if you want one that will be "good enough," well only you can answer that question.

Good luck.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Gentlemen, thank you for your very informative answers.

I'll definitely be taking a look at the Federation IV, the price tag is very attractive (as is the hat itself).

Aside from that, however, I still want to get my hands on a Borsalino. Are there any owners of modern Borsalino's who can tell me which one of those comes closest to what I'm looking for?

The hats in the pictures have both similarities and differences, but pictures don't always say everything... Especially when it comes to displaying a product such as a hat, where matters such as positioning and the angle really determine the way it looks.

Last edited:

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Rather than buy a Borsalino, I'd go with Art Fawcett and have something custom made. For that price you can get a rabbit fur hat of similar quality custom fit and made. My first custom was a copy of Bogart's hat from the Maltese Falcon (which is similar to the one he wore in Casablanca). For another $100 you can have beaver fur. If you want a hat from the Golden Era, I'd go custom.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you absolutely must have a Borsalino, my suggestion would be to 1) look for vintage hat, 2) failing that, pick up an Alessandria.

tommyK

One Too Many
I have both the modern Alessandria and Film from Bencraft. Certainly not the quality of old but I've had no problems with either. The Film is probably the closest to the Indy hat, it's open crown so you could shape it however you want but the brim is smaller and not dimensional. I also have a Fed, great hat and closer to what you're looking for and almost half the price! The borsos seem lighter and perhaps breath better but that is my subjective opinion. YMMV

Last edited:

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I have a Film and an Alessandria but would recommend a Como, which is not what you think you want but which would be close to a classic fedora look but less extreme looking.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Just can't stand the gold printed logo on the knot of the bow on the Film. So cheap and vulgar looking. Although it says "Borsalino", but could as well say the name of some themepark.
Brioni (clothing) and Ferragamo (shoes) have similarly designed logos. It may be an Italian thing.

-30-

A-List Customer
"I will echo the sentiments of other loungers. Buy a vintage on eBay....the quality difference is obvious "
QUOTE: Historyteach24.

(More than "Just Obvious".)

A custom hat from a vendor such as Art Fawcett would be twice as good as a modern Borsalino.

Yes, I have bought a modern Borsa, after which I had another hatter make me a Custom, the Borsa

being "unwearable" due to it's many Major Quality Problems.

Regards,
J T

-30-

A-List Customer
"Care to elaborate?"
QUOTE: A C Lyles.

Sure:

Local, hatter/dealer.
$380. + tax.
Borsalino.
"Quality Superior".
Black fur felt. (Unknown, but probably rabbit and/or hare.)
Unbound (raw) edge.
Glued-in (black satin?) liner.
Non reeded leather sweatband.
Sweatband - see above, visible stitching below o/s ribbon. see below.
Grosgrain o/s hat band, c/w 3 visible fixing stitches to crown.
Grosgrain o/s bow - see above, c/w 9 visible fixing stitches to crown.
Pride of Ownership - Optional.

As compared to:

Leon Drexler Co. (Custom order.)
(Local.)
$450.00 + tax.
Black, fur felt. (full beaver)
Bound (antique grosgrain) silk edge.
Italian silk (sewn-in) liner.
Reeded lamb sweatband, c/w owner's name.
Grosgrain, antique silk hatband, Custom - no bow.
No o/s fixing stitches visible on crown.
Pride of Ownership - No Charge.

http://leondrexler.com/New_Leon_Drexler_Website/Home.html

So there you have it!
(I trust that Art Fawcett would do as well as did Steve Temkin at Leon Drexler Co.)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

mendelboaz

One Too Many
When you're new to something, it's always grand when the veterans are more than willing to lend a helping hand.

Thank you, gentlemen. I have decided on getting a custom-made fedora by Art Fawcett. Scouting eBay for a vintage hat would be too much of a hassle in terms of sizing, and I don't think I'll be able to find the hat that I truly want.

-30-

A-List Customer
"When you're new to something, it's always grand when the veterans are more than willing to lend a helping hand."
QUOTE: mendelboaz.

That is exactly what happened with me, but I was too late with my Due Diligence, and "enthralled" by the name "Borsalino".
LOL.

Regards,
J T

mendelboaz

One Too Many
"When you're new to something, it's always grand when the veterans are more than willing to lend a helping hand."
QUOTE: mendelboaz.

That is exactly what happened with me, but I was too late with my Due Diligence, and "enthralled" by the name "Borsalino".
LOL.

Regards,
J T

The elegant name sure has something to say for itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart