Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to tweak my modern Stetsons to keep from selling them

jbucklin

Practically Family
After having acquired two VS hats, and three Borsalinos (along with a Fed IV)---all with tall, straight crowns---I have finally come to be discontented with my modern Stetsons and their short, tapered crowns. The reason I have so many of these hats is because I live about 7 minutes from the Resistol Outlet and it is hard not to make impulse purchases while perusing their stock of fedoras. I considered getting one of those straight-sided domes and reshaping these three hats, which are among my favorite modern Stetsons, but thought I would try just using a spray bottle and a little steam. Please tell me what you think; do they look squatty to you?:

Stratoliner
Photo266.jpg

Whippet
Photo267.jpg

Chatham
Photo268.jpg

Last edited:

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
They all look fine to me. But I, too, share a similar situation with you. I am tending to acquire more and more of the vintage or straighter crowns. The taper on the modern fedoras make me think of "cone heads". But everyone else thinks the modern hats look good on me. So, I end up keeping all of them. ... But I am wearing the straighter crowns more often.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Thanks guys.

It seems like the Stetsons with the teardrop crease have a little less taper than some of their hats with the center dent crease. I mainly tried making them look taller. It would take the straight-sided dome to straighten out the sides.

I know what you mean about the compliments. I had someone tell me the other day that one of my VS hats was his least favorite (beautiful hat btw) and that he actually preferred "that brown one, you know, the one that's a little shorter" (modern Stetson). It's like trying to convince people that Mozart really is great when all they hear is that it's really old, outdated music that has no relevance for today. "But Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber---now they're really good"!

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
JB, It looks good. When I would see him in the store, then I would buy him. First and foremost he must also like you.

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
JB, It looks good. When I would see him in the store, then I would buy him. First and foremost he must also like you.

Manfred, that's good feedback. I wanted to see what some of the loungers' first impressions would be. In other words: Is this a hat you would buy if you didn't know it was a modern Stetson and just simply liked the look of it? It's gotten very difficult for me to remain objective. That's why we all need each other, eh?

wgiceman, did you end up getting the Borsalino Film? I'm loving mine!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Since you are right, JB. We have all to many Hats. There are many to doubt.
My wife does not share my hobby. The always says, "all look the same."
There is absolutely the perfect hat. Sometimes there are just little things that make all the difference.
Let's be honest. Sometimes I do not know what I should wear.

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
Here's a pic of my first custom VS (the one that my friend said he didn't like). I initially creased it with a fairly low crown, since that's what I had become accustomed to. Then I tried re-bashing it to make it taller a few months ago. It's really not much taller than the Stetsons---maybe 1/8" or so. Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to compare.
Photo269.jpg

job

One Too Many
After 2 hats I was finished with lower crown hats. I look for a straight and tall crown now. I'm also starting to like certain types of western hats. I think one day I will have a little of every style of felt hat.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Job, I have the same Alessandria as you, purchased from Bencraft. It's amazing to wear that tall hat for awhile and then put on a Modern Stetson. It looks as squatty as Buster Keaton's porkpie!

So. do you think my slight modifications on the Stetsons are an improvement? Or do they still look like the original factory models? My son said they still look really short, but he finally admitted that it's an improvement overall.

job

One Too Many
I don't think you can do anything to take out the taper. I don't have any modern Stetson dress hats for the fact that I am not a fan of their crown shape. The best thing to do is not to compare them. I have a Akubra Stylemaster that has a low crown and taper. I wear it often enough but I would not try it on after taking off the Alessandria. It would seem tiny. How many do you have?

job

One Too Many
Being that you got the hats at a outlet center you could do alright selling them here. You may come close to breaking even.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I don't think you can do anything to take out the taper. I don't have any modern Stetson dress hats for the fact that I am not a fan of their crown shape. The best thing to do is not to compare them. I have a Akubra Stylemaster that has a low crown and taper. I wear it often enough but I would not try it on after taking off the Alessandria. It would seem tiny. How many do you have?

Let's see, I have:

1. Stratoliner
2. Whippet
3. Chatham
4. Nostalgia
5. Firenze
6. Temple
7. Saxon

I also gave my son my old sage-green Chatham and I own three Stetson straws.

That's a bunch of Stetsons!!!

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
Manfred, that's good feedback. I wanted to see what some of the loungers' first impressions would be. In other words: Is this a hat you would buy if you didn't know it was a modern Stetson and just simply liked the look of it? It's gotten very difficult for me to remain objective. That's why we all need each other, eh?

wgiceman, did you end up getting the Borsalino Film? I'm loving mine!

I called a couple of times on Friday, but got no answer. Perhaps I can get the order in this upcoming week. Hopefully, they will have my size in stock. If I have to wait, it will be spring here soon, and I will have to wait until fall before wearing the fur felt again.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
. . . If I have to wait, it will be spring here soon, and I will have to wait until fall before wearing the fur felt again.
Wgiceman, I know whereof you speak. We've been gypped out of any winter again this year: no cold weather to speak of. We get a cool snap, then it warms swiftly back up to soggy heat, back and forth. By March it'll be soggy all the time. Hard for felt wearers.

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
Wgiceman, I know whereof you speak. We've been gypped out of any winter again this year: no cold weather to speak of. We get a cool snap, then it warms swiftly back up to soggy heat, back and forth. By March it'll be soggy all the time. Hard for felt wearers.

Bummer, ain't it? When we do get a cool snap, I end up wearing 2-3 hats on the same day just to say I got them in the rotation. Of course, if you are at work, that doesn't work out too well. But hey, I can always say the few hats I have do tend to display well on the shelf.

.... wife thinks I'm crazy, though.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I had some success last night with my Beaver Brand that had lost its straight sides. See the "conversion corral" thread.

I thought I was SOL with that one, but all it took was some courage and a little time and patience to wet and stretch and iron it over the block and flange. No-- it isn't the hat it once was when new, but a VAST improvement over the conehead rag it was last week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24