Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

A quiet afternoon gave me a chance to clean out the case where I keep my favorite wearers. The bracelets posed for a photo...
8B39355E-B98A-4262-953F-6B9CF7562B0C.jpeg

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
Hi Friends,

I've learned a ton viewing and reading this thread in it's entirety, thank you all. I've also learned that finding a larger size bracelet that speaks to you can take some patience. I believe this bracelet to be modern. It was made by Garrett Hale. Old koa backdrop courtesy a 1926 Weissenborn that sounds much nicer than bracelet.

Edit. If anyone cares to tell me what style or era this bracelet might reflect or anything about techniques used to make it, I'm all ears >' '<
IMG_6340.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

I've learned a ton viewing and reading this thread in it's entirety, thank you all. I've also learned that finding a larger size bracelet that speaks to you can take some patience. I believe this bracelet to be modern. It was made by Garrett Hale. Old koa backdrop courtesy a 1926 Weissenborn that sounds much nicer than bracelet.

Edit. If anyone cares to tell me what style or era this bracelet might reflect or anything about techniques used to make it, I'm all ears >' '<
View attachment 256510

A nice cuff... thanks for posting. Its deep stamping and traditional design remind me of some pieces by Perry Shorty.

short_lefty

New in Town
New here, where do you guys buy jewelry (native american or just in general?) Preferably affordable (100 to 400)

Welcome to the Lounge @short_lefty ! My wife grew up in Albuquerque and her parents bought quite a bit of native jewelry during those early years (1960s/70s). She later worked in retail for Armand Ortega in both his stores in Santa Fe and, where we currently live, in Springfield, MO. Much of what she (and her Mom who worked there as well) collected was purchased at a big discount during that time. More recently we bought directly from the artists when visiting the Santa Fe area a couple of times a year. Another economical source has been local flea-markets and sometimes with on-line auctions (eBay, Goodwill, etc.). Enjoy the hunt and be sure to share your finds in this thread.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
I think it fits, Ross. It’s hat bling. I don’t have any jewelry but I’ve posted belt buckles here and they haven’t run me off yet. I’m not usually a fan of those bands but that one is beautiful.

Thanks, BB. Same here, took me a while to find one I like!

New here, where do you guys buy jewelry (native american or just in general?) Preferably affordable (100 to 400)
Not sure where you are located but if you ever get the chance to visit Navajo or Zuni Territory, western New Mexico, SW Colorado, eastern Arizona do it. It is a magical part of the world and shopping/buying jewelry is a wonderful way to spend some time.

I don’t have a scale but seller listed it as 90.9 grams. I’ve worn it for a few hours with no issue on strain or fatigue. I’d estimate it’s close in weight to my massive No. 1 below
View attachment 280199
I was in Cortez CO 18 months ago and a vintage shop had a silver/turquoise hat band for not tooo high a price but I didn't buy it as it seemed so damned heavy. I do regret passing it by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko