Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

There are so many silversmiths working with that name... I have only followed the work of Kenneth Begay (1913-1977) and his long history with the White Hogan in Scottsdale. His hallmark is a distinctive KB set into an incised square. His son, Harvey Begay (1939-2009) used a similar design with his initials HB. Looks like a handsome polished Cerillos turquoise cabochon, maybe 1970+? Just a guess. I'll take a look through books at home to see if the hallmark is identifiable.
Appreciate the insight!

I really like these heavyweight boiled wool vests made by Ibex before they went out of business some years back. (They were restarted by new owners and make a similar style lighter weight merino wool vest but the old ones are much better IMO). I've bought a number of them on eBay in different colors. They make a great place to wear my collection of Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild pins (of which I also own quite a few). I keep one on each vest and always look forward to seeing them again when the weather turns colder.

100422_navajo.jpg

I’m no hand model. :rolleyes:

Ray Jack (Navajo) silver, spiny oyster and turquoise ring (from an estate sale). Jimmy Begay, Jr. (Navajo) silver bracelet (from the artist — a long time friend).

DA357871-FEF1-4EEE-9ECB-DB298A6098D8.jpeg

Jimmy is making me a silver concho hat band using the design on the lower left.

127A4A96-98D8-4D3F-8D2B-2D3351376D6A.jpeg

He’s been quite busy lately filling a large order from Ralph Lauren for silver concho belts.

https://www.ralphlauren.global/bh/e...ure-style-Jimmy-Begay-silversmith-Navajo.html

Appreciate the insight!
Sorry for the delayed reply on this. I spent a little time with Barton Wright's Hallmarks of the Southwest, a useful reference first published in 1989. My copy is a second edition updated in 2000. It shows about 80 silversmiths working under the last name Begay. Many of them used 1/16" gothic letter stamps spelling Begay with a first initial before it serving as their hallmark. Without the first initial it is pretty hard to go further on identifying the artist on this one. Still a lovely ring with a fine stone. Sorry not to be able to add more definition.

Sorry for the delayed reply on this. I spent a little time with Barton Wright's Hallmarks of the Southwest, a useful reference first published in 1989. My copy is a second edition updated in 2000. It shows about 80 silversmiths working under the last name Begay. Many of them used 1/16" gothic letter stamps spelling Begay with a first initial before it serving as their hallmark. Without the first initial it is pretty hard to go further on identifying the artist on this one. Still a lovely ring with a fine stone. Sorry not to be able to add more definition.
No apology necessary and many thanks for taking the time to look up the information.

I've shown some of these over the years but took a few minutes to make this composite photo of Navajo silver pins. All of these are imprinted with stamp of the Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild, with the exception of the stylized naja which I received from my mother-in-law... something she picked up in travels to visit friends in Arizona. I keep these pins on various wool vests and jackets that I enjoy wearing when the weather turns cold. Hope you enjoy seeing them.

guild_pins.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko