Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

20240417_174723.jpg
20240417_174755.jpg

Fred Harvey era stamped thunderbird pin. Back says hand made and sterling. No artist's mark.

20240417_175048.jpg

I replaced the JBS branding iron pin that was on my Open Road with it.

Thanks to Greg for sharing the auction for this Michael Schmaltz (former lounge member Michaelshane) piece. I've admired Michael's work for some time but have never come across a piece to purchase until now. Here it is cleaned up some. It View attachment 612000

View attachment 612001
will make a nice Mother's Day gift for my bride.
You're welcome. That's a good get. Cleaned up really well. Stunning beads too.

I keep a few searches active on eBay for work by Native silversmiths whose work I have collected over the years. One that rarely returns a match is Sam Roanhorse - younger brother of Ambrose Roanhorse, an important figure in the history of 20th century Native American craft. There is some confusion identifying works by Ambrose Roanhorse who often did not mark his pieces with his own hallmark. Sam Roanhorse used a distinctive fluid "SR" and the work I've found with this mark ranges in design but is always beautifully crafted.

So when I saw a notification for a ranger belt last weekend I moved quickly. It arrived yesterday and I am thrilled with the work and condition of this piece... the belt is pristine and appears not to have been worn much if at all. Sam Roanhorse is considered to have lived c.1916-1988 - was taught by his brother and worked for the White Hogan and other notable shops in the 1940s - 1970s. The bottom picture shows the (now) four pieces of his in my collection.

sam_roanhorse_belt_1.jpg

sam_roanhorse_belt_3.jpg

sam_roanhorse_belt_2.jpg

sam_roanhorse_belt_4.jpg

sam_roanhorse_belt_5.jpg

sam_roanhorse_belt_6.jpg

sam_roanhorse.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL