Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Wearing this one today. Unmarked save for the tiny horned moon of the Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild, with craftsmanship and modern design that might be Scandinavian mid-century. One of my favorite pieces.

NACG_022224_1.jpg

NACG_022224_2.jpg

NACG_022224_3.jpg

I picked up this too small hat for $22 as the hat band looked like it might be “something”.

IMG_1090.jpeg

It was! A sandcast silver with turquoise that, based on the tagged price, has some age on it. Something with 15 (1” x 1/2”) conchos would probably run about $700+ new.

IMG_1095.jpeg

IMG_1096.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

I will need to loosen and adjust the conchos to fit my hat size. The belt is long enough.

IMG_1098.jpeg

I picked up this too small hat for $22 as the hat band looked like it might be “something”.

IMG_1090.jpeg

It was! A sandcast silver with turquoise that, based on the tagged price, has some age on it. Something with 15 (1” x 1/2”) conchos would probably run about $700+ new.

IMG_1095.jpeg

IMG_1096.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

I will need to loosen and adjust the conchos to fit my hat size. The belt is long enough.

IMG_1098.jpeg
Good eye!!!

DanielPetmr

New in Town
Interesting thread.
I recently bought a pin/pendant of a thunderbird made by a Zuni artist, which had impressive inlay work in turquoise and other materials.

I tried to find a photo of it, but the image was replaced with something else after I bought it. (I ordered it from a store in the Zuni pueblo), and the others on the site aren't the same.

I looked again, this is fairly close, except it's on a necklace, is from a different artist, and seems to use fewer materials:

turquoisevillage_2015_2622058

(The image may change if that item is bought, though, so if it's something else than an inlaid thunderbird necklace, that's probably what happened).

Anyway, it's a gift for someone. I hope she'll like it Home Remodeling in Newcastle.
Probably bought in Arizona, cannot find the mark online, it is I guess an A space Mc? Haven't cleaned it up, sorry. Also, when searching eBay I see some jewelry marked "old pawn". What does that mean? Thanks.

Nacho

Practically Family
Hi guys,

I’m from the Outerwear section. Kinda tired of looking at all the jackets so I decided to branch out for something new and fresh. Then I came across this thread. I do have a small collection of Native America bracelets. Thought I’d share here with the people.

1910s whirling eyes with some corn motif.

IMG_5847.jpeg

IMG_5849.jpeg

IMG_5850.jpeg

Recent Peyote Bird. Turquoise & sapphire inlay.

IMG_5851.jpeg

IMG_5852.jpeg

IMG_5854.jpeg

Random inlay decoration. Looks to be mountains of some sort.

IMG_5840.jpeg

IMG_5841.jpeg

IMG_5842.jpeg

Enjoy!

Last edited:
First “Old Pawn” piece I’ve ever bought. New to Native American jewelry.
I think it was made during the 1930s.
View attachment 601956
I think your dating is a good guess. Many tribal communities abandoned the ancient swastika symbol around 1940 in response to its adoption by the Nazi Party in Germany. I hear some weavers have gone back to using the motif in more recent years. The "swirling log" appears in a lot of jewelry from the tourist era though I've never been able to bring a piece with this symbol into my collection.

Kenan

A-List Customer
I think your dating is a good guess. Many tribal communities abandoned the ancient swastika symbol around 1940 in response to its adoption by the Nazi Party in Germany. I hear some weavers have gone back to using the motif in more recent years. The "swirling log" appears in a lot of jewelry from the tourist era though I've never been able to bring a piece with this symbol into my collection.
The Navajo folktale about the "whirling log" is an interesting one as well.

It reads:

"The hero of the story sets out on a long journey. At first the gods try to persuade him against going, but seeing his determination, help him hollow out a log in which he will travel down the river.

Along the way he has many misadventures which ultimately result in his gaining important ceremonial knowledge. In one such instance he and his craft are captured by the Water People who carry him down beneath the waters to the home of Water Monster. Black God threatens to set fire to Water Monster's home and the hero is released, but not before being taught by Frog how to cure the illnesses caused by the Water People.

When he finally reaches the lake that is his destination, the gods catch his log and help him to shore. Wandering about on land the hero comes upon a whirling cross with two yeis seated on each end. From them he learns the knowledge of farming and is given seeds. He then returns home to share these gifts with his people."

source: https://www.navajorug.com/blogs/news/whirling-logs-motif

My wife bought me a present for her birthday (which is on Monday — I got her a solar eclipse). I may have come out ahead on this one. From an online estate sale in a town 1-1/2 hours away.

IMG_2223.jpeg

IMG_2224.jpeg

IMG_2225.jpeg

IMG_2226.jpeg

“Robert Eustace”
“Zuni Indian”
“Handmade”

From post 1970 anyway.

It’s been in this skinny box for a long time. Gonna have to uncurl the leather “strings”.

IMG_2230.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently bought an O’Farrell hat for the hat band (not knowing the size), but it turns out the hat fits me. A nice bonus. The band was sewn to the hat in several places and the leather ends stitched together, so I carefully removed it so I could see if there were any artist hallmarks on the silver with gold accent story-teller conchos (and clean them up slightly). There were no markings so I reassembled the band, but didn’t sew it back on the hat. I put the conchos back where they were originally (based on the leather fade) and they are not evenly spaced — it messes with my OCD a little, but I’m trying to learn to be more “organic”.

IMG_2520.jpeg

IMG_2521.jpeg

The detail of the work amazes me. These are each 1-1/4” x 3/4”.

IMG_2514.jpeg

IMG_2515.jpeg

IMG_2516.jpeg

IMG_2517.jpeg

IMG_2518.jpeg

IMG_2519.jpeg

VoodooSan

A-List Customer
I recently bought an O’Farrell hat for the hat band (not knowing the size), but it turns out the hat fits me. A nice bonus. The band was sewn to the hat in several places and the leather ends stitched together, so I carefully removed it so I could see if there were any artist hallmarks on the silver with gold accent story-teller conchos (and clean them up slightly). There were no markings so I reassembled the band, but didn’t sew it back on the hat. I put the conchos back where they were originally (based on the leather fade) and they are not evenly spaced — it messes with my OCD a little, but I’m trying to learn to be more “organic”.

View attachment 606504

View attachment 606505

The detail of the work amazes me. These are each 1-1/4” x 3/4”.

View attachment 606506

View attachment 606507

View attachment 606508

View attachment 606509

View attachment 606510

View attachment 606511
Congrats on an AMAZING score, Bob!! Thanks for sharing this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner