Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Feraud

Bartender
I am a big fan of this stuff.
Here is the prize of my collection. Believe it or not, a friend gave this to me 15+ years ago.

Belt buckle. Sterling Silver base with turquoise stone and bear claws.
DSC05590.jpg

DSC05591.jpg

DSC05592.jpg

DSC05593.jpg

Does anyone else collect the stuff?

Can't say that I collect it, but I do like it. The dewy-eyed bride and I picked up matching turquoise-and-silver rings during our travels last summer. Don't recall what we paid, exactly, but it wasn't much.

Bassman

A-List Customer
I love Native American jewelry too, particularly the silver and turquoise stuff.
I have a couple of silver and turquoise bracelets, one of which I regularly wear (looking to sell the other) and 2 beautiful Zuni bolos (one from a trading post in Santa Fe and one from e-bay). I'll try to post a picture soon.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Nice collections, all.

When we lived down in NM for several summers, we picked up some turquoise jewelry. Unfortunately, some pieces were made of fake turquoise. Plastic or something like that. One way to test is to heat up a pin and poke the turquoise: if the pin sinks in it's fake, if it doesn't it's real.

My mom also found two turquoise beads at a newly discovered (by us) anasazi ruin site where we were living. It was on our private land.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
I have some turquoise pieces too but i think they come from India and the Middle East.. I find that the Asian stones and the NA stones are very very different colours and personally i prefer the bluer stones of the East...

The belt bucket is very nice but i have to ask, are they real bear claws?

Next time i am in Mexico i am going to have a look for some peices... There must be some nice ones there too!!

Kassia

One of the Regulars
thunderw21 said:
Nice collections, all.

When we lived down in NM for several summers, we picked up some turquoise jewelry. Unfortunately, some pieces were made of fake turquoise. Plastic or something like that. One way to test is to heat up a pin and poke the turquoise: if the pin sinks in it's fake, if it doesn't it's real.
private land.

Also watch for real stones that have neen dyed....

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Bought this one for my wife in Sedona, Arizona many many moons ago.

Sedona001.jpg

Sedona003.jpg

Unfortunately she is not so much into native american history as I am. So she has never worn it:eusa_doh:

Bassman

A-List Customer
Spitfire...that's a shame she won't wear such a beautiful piece, but those Squash Blossom necklaces are a rather bold statement.

Havana

One of the Regulars
Those are some really fantastic pieces. It's funny. I can't get my wife interested in this style of jewelry either. I think it's incredibly beautiful.

Bassman

A-List Customer
These are the few items I have.
The bracelet in the center is the one I wear daily.
The upper left bracelet is for sale;)
The lower left bolo is from Santa Fe, NM. It had a matching belt buckle which I could not afford and the seller broke up the set to sell me the bolo.
The other bolo, carved bracelet and my daily wearer were all from e-bay.
P1030304.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
One of my ex's loved the stuff so we visited David Saity on a regular basis. I had a few belt buckles but I ended up gifting them to friends.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Interesting thread.
I recently bought a pin/pendant of a thunderbird made by a Zuni artist, which had impressive inlay work in turquoise and other materials.

I tried to find a photo of it, but the image was replaced with something else after I bought it. (I ordered it from a store in the Zuni pueblo), and the others on the site aren't the same.

I looked again, this is fairly close, except it's on a necklace, is from a different artist, and seems to use fewer materials:

turquoisevillage_2015_2622058

(The image may change if that item is bought, though, so if it's something else than an inlaid thunderbird necklace, that's probably what happened).

Anyway, it's a gift for someone. I hope she'll like it.

Very interesting pieces. Over the years I have seen many pieces of this jewelry. Years back they were very reasonably priced, however I never purchased any, ( wish I had). One thing I noticed about the silver was it was either marked .925 Mexico or .925 Siam Silver.
I have never seen any pieces made with Sterling Silver or.999
Anyway great pieces, thanks everyone for sharing.
Best regards
CCJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot