Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two I got this weekend

AcridSaint

New in Town
Hey folks, I happened on to these two hats this weekend.

I was away in VA for Thanksgiving and I noticed a Dobbs box in my buddies' garrage. It turns out his wife once had a fairly large men's hat collection that had slowly been erroded by the animals in the house. I told her that if she were going to ebay any of them, to let me know first. She ended up giving me a chocolate brown fedora by Mallory.

The hat is a 7 1/4 I believe, it fits me a bit loose and I'm a 7 1/8. I haven't measured it though. It has a moth hole in the front of the brim, was covered in cat hair (I got a bit off) and was crushed. I popped the top out as I plan to reshape it. The liner is loose and hanging by just a couple stitches. The hat isn't in great shape, but not terrible either, I believe I will be able to save it. My wife has offered to help restitch the liner.

front.jpg

front2.jpg

inside.jpg

hole.jpg

The second hat, I picked up today at a thrift shop. It's a black Dobbs, size 7 1/8. This had a two dollar price tag on it and I snatched it up before I ever even noticed that the band was broken. I had just been complaning to my wife that I didn't like it anyhow, so it will be replaced with a ribbon. There is a hole in the brim from THE PRICE TAG (so disappointing) and a bit of felt missing from the body. The pictures make both of these seem more noticable then they are.

front.jpg

inside.jpg

break.jpg

hole1.jpg

hole2.jpg

Sorry about the pictures, they don't show the true colours of either hat well. I believe both of these hats will fix up well, although I'm not sure what to do about the moth hole in the brown one. I had thought about cutting a shape out where it is, since it's the front of the brim and then sealing the edges. I had also thought about a trolly cord, would one be completely out of place on this hat in that location? Any suggestions for either hat would be appreciated, comments are welcome too.

Thanks for looking!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Two good buys.

That Mallory is a terrific hat. Once you get it cleaned a bit, the use of some staem and working the felt around the hole may help close it up.
You might consider sending the Mallory to one of the hatters you read about in the hat threads. Several of them are very adept with restoring vintage hats. The Mallory would certainly be worth the trouble.
These look like two hats that can clean-up well and be keepers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW