Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

two questions from a noob

samb

New in Town
Hi all,
Thanks for letting me join. I've been looking for information on two hat-related questions.
I'm considering buying a Christy foldaway but I can't find any pictures of anyone wearing them? Does anyone here have a photo of one on?
Also, I found this photo of a hat at styleforum that I was trying to emulate. Do you guys know what it might be? Or if you think that kind of thing could be achieved with a foldaway?
thanks so much,
Sam

LL

I looked but have deleted all photos of hat & noggin shots.
If you are set on a traveling hat, I'd look at Borsalino or Akubra versions.
The Christy's is very low crown & short brimmed.
You can get a good beater for a lot less have have a lot more hat.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I had one, also, but the felt was so thin that it crinkled in my hand as I picked it up. I used to have some noggin shots, too, but like GTD, I have deleted them. If you continually roll it up and stick it into a tube for travel, eventually the felt will fall apart, on any hat.

samb

New in Town
Thanks guys. I guess I should rethink getting a foldable. I like the term noggin shots. Any thoughts on what brand of fedora I should go for to replicate the hat in the photo?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I think the toughest travel hats from a factory are the Akubras. I own many. And if you want it battered like that, just travel with it a while. The airport security folks will destroy it for you (but if you like that battered look, it'll still be wearable).

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

You should search for the thread on getting a hat through airport security. They mention putting the hat in its own basket and putting a clear plastic bag over it. I've traveled a couple of times with a hat and I pretty much held it or wore it the whole way.

Later

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Hi

You should search for the thread on getting a hat through airport security. They mention putting the hat in its own basket and putting a clear plastic bag over it. I've traveled a couple of times with a hat and I pretty much held it or wore it the whole way.

Later
Some countries will let you use a separate basket and some won't, but as 1961MJS says, that way is best, and the clear plastic bag over it. If you ever go to China, those airport security guys will take great pleasure in smashing your hat under everything else you have, into a box smaller than a shoe box. And they get very happy if you get upset.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
I'd look at Akubra's travel hats. Does it need to be crushable? Can you get a "real" hat? Akubra is a good choice there, too - good quality and not too dear.

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
Why in the Good Lord's name would you go to China!?

Some of us don't have a choice ;)

If you ever go to China, those airport security guys will take great pleasure in smashing your hat under everything else you have, into a box smaller than a shoe box. And they get very happy if you get upset.

During my last trip through Shanghai 4 weeks ago, they were actually quite considerate - my hat remained clean and unscathed.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab

I'm sure The Good Lord didn't create us to keep apart. I'm sure he created the Chinese, the way he did, so we should learn from them. After all, they had a very complex and highly developed culture going, long before any Euopean hit, what later became known as "American soil" - and while we Europeans still fumbled around with two stones, when we needed a fire. Without the Chinese, The American Civil War had been fought on clubs, bows and arrows - if Colombus ever would had been able to reach what later would be known as America without all the preceding inventions, done by the Chinese, that is [huh]

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up

Great question!!! And whether you worded it that way on purpose or by coincidence, you nailed it. I go to China (and many other places around the world) in the name of the Good Lord, Jesus of Nazareth. I go to reach out to the Chinese Christians...and to learn from them.

Wow, this subject has gone way off topic. So open crown fedora? Thumbs up?

I prefer open crown hats so I can crease them myself. Others want a factory crease which look too perfect for me.
The hats I have that came with factory creases have all been tweaked once I got them.
The Akubra Fedora aka Sydney is a good, basic fedora that would suit your target.
Others here go for the Federation offered by Hats Direct since it is more like a 30's/40's fedora = Indiana Jones or the hat he started with before adventures turned it into an icon....

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some countries will let you use a separate basket and some won't, but as 1961MJS says, that way is best, and the clear plastic bag over it. If you ever go to China, those airport security guys will take great pleasure in smashing your hat under everything else you have, into a box smaller than a shoe box. And they get very happy if you get upset.

Hi

If memory serves from the other thread, the Chinese ain't the only Security types with that sense of humor.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav