Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Toned Hat

Magus

Practically Family
Hi all,

I saw a two toned hat for sale today, first time I have heard of such a thing. The crown was one shade of grey and the brim another. Any history on the subject out there?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I've never liked them, mostly see them on the western hat sites. I would be curious as to when they were first created, assume it is a new phenomenon.

karol

Magus

Practically Family
This one is actually a Stetson Royal DeLuxe. I don't care for it...personally.

stetson1.jpg

Magus

Practically Family
K.D. Lightner said:
I've never liked them, mostly see them on the western hat sites. I would be curious as to when they were first created, assume it is a new phenomenon.

karol

This one claims to be circa 1940

tonyb said:
Looks like a job for jamespowers. Got any ads showing that hat, JP?

Hahahahah! Not quite but I have a few pictures of my two toned Dobbs Gamebird from the late 50s if that helps.
Gamebirdside.jpg

Gamebirdfront.jpg

Gamebird.jpg

The idea of a two-toned hat is quite old really. They have been around before the 1940s but more as a novelty than a common place hat. I have a half straw half felt hat that I posted before. That is quite old as well. The felt on that is under the brim of the straw hat though. I had an accident with the hat and the result is too gruesome to recount. :rage: Here is how it looked before.
46c2ea10.jpg

Notice the felt underside of the brim.

Regards to all,

J

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rocky Mnt Hat Company

BTW, one of our members, Rocky Mountain Hat Company,
still makes two tone felt hats. Have a look at their site.
I think it was styles 66 and 67.

gekisai29 said:
guess i'm in the minority but i think its a great look

I love my two tone green. The first day I wore it, I got a compliment nearly as soon as I walked out of the front door with it on. Even my hat-dumb friends had to see it up close. There must be something to this two tone hat thing. ;)
Looking at how they were constructed in the golden age, and I suppose they are constructed the same now, I have to really give it to the master hatters of the time. They took two pieces and sewed them together with facing material on the inside and outside of the hat. I couldn't get it apart if I hooked it to two rhinos. :p It is artfully done and simply hidden under the ribbon and sweatband without and noticeable joining. It flows perfectly. At least that is the way Knox did it in the 40s for my example. :cheers1:

Regards,

J

stylin said:
Yikes! I thought the idea sounded good until I saw those pics! :eusa_doh:

I'll pass. JMHO!

Stylin :D

Ok, try this one as an example:

KnoxTwoToneside.jpg

KnoxTwoTonefront.jpg

The colors are not quite true to how it is in person but you get the idea. This is a two tone green hat from the 1940s. The brim is a deep green color and the crown is an olive. The brim binding matches the color of the crown. The ribbon is just a bit darker.
I love it and wear it. The first time I wore it, I got a compliment on the hat after walking out the door just ten feet to my car. A woman was doing her morning walk and complimented the hat. To which, I said thank you and tipped my two tone. Just about everyone who sees it just can't believe it can be done so seamlessly.
So what do you think of a two tone hat now? :D

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff