Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Type B flying helmet sold for 2.700£!!!

Eyemo

Practically Family
Here you go...
:)
DSCN1338011.jpg

DSCN1340013.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice Sidcot Eyemo and in very good nick.

In terms of that wingco, is that "Boltes"? Just confirm and I'll have a look through some books.

And nice how that's Gieves and Hawkes, together with Burberry's of Haymarket, they were the most popular outfitters of prewar officers trying to use up their £50 uniform allowance.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Eyemo but there's something not right here.

The photo with the medal ribbons was not loading up before for me but now I see this, this is rather strange. The service ribbons are for WWI service and this tallies with the Military Cross ribbon (these were an exceptionally rare award for aircrew after WWI as the DFC and DFM had been introduced for such acts of gallantry). There are no service ribbons for WWII and this doesn't fit with the date and information on the inside label.

EDIT:

Oops, there is an Africa campaign and the War Service medal for WWII. I suppose this could be an officer who was recalled for WWII with the rank of F/L and ended the war as a W/C. Quite unusual though.

Eyemo

Practically Family
A friend of mine (Who incidently was a Battle Pilot in the Battle for France) said the same thing...This Guy was probably a Great War Vet possibly army..who may have joined the RFC in WW1 and joined the RAF during WW2...not two hot on medals I'm afraid...thanks for your help!:)

BTW. I have a second coat too...that may belong to the same chap...I'll see if I have any pics...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Looks to be the same chap Eyemo and in very good nick.

But I am still stunned by the condition of that Sidcot you posted earlier, that really is in the best condition I have seen. Hold onto that, it's a beauty!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Eyemo, next time I'm over your way I'll be round to your museum in a shot!

Much to my embarrassment, I never got over to Wales, that's going to have to be rectified ;)

Eyemo

Practically Family
You are most welcome my friend....It's in it's early stages...but hopefully we wiill be up and running before the summer..:)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Most impressive collection Eyemo! Like Smithy I like the sidecot a lot. What a great piece.:eusa_clap
Just give me a wink if you have too many Type B helmets;)
Might even drop by your museum to pick it up myself. And would time it with Smithys arrival - so we could have a few pints too.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Nice collection-

Speaking of Sidcot suits...
I have a rather empty claim;
I once bought a mint/NOS Sidcot suit, which was a good fit for a 6-footer,
complete with the furry collar stuffed in the pocket. It also had furry pockets.
The princely sum of 35 quid bought it from Mad Mike's Surplus, Lee Green, London. This would have been around 1996/7. Quite a unique surplus store find. Of course, I sold it...
Beyond it's being a Sidcot suit, I was fascinated by the "AM" marked zips,
which were, I believe, DOT brand, or perhaps a mix of DOT and Lightning.

And of course, I wish I still had it...:(

Bugger!

B
T

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
And would time it with Smithys arrival - so we could have a few pints too.

Now that's not a silly idea at all! One Welsh RAF memorabilia and beer excursion, sounds just the go :)

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Eyemo, next time I'm over your way I'll be round to your museum in a shot!

Much to my embarrassment, I never got over to Wales, that's going to have to be rectified ;)
Likewise, Wales has unfortunately been a place I've missed on my visits to the UK. I wouldn't mind seeing your museum as well (once it's finished).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24