Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Type B flying helmet sold for 2.700£!!!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I know it's a type B - the classic, the icon - but 2.700 £ for a massproduced leatherhelmet!!! Was it some fellowlounger, who went over the top at e-bay?

By the way - anybody out there got a spare one for sale.
I could use one - but not for 2.700£ :D

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Spitfire,

Not a Type B I'm afraid, but I have a very good internally wired Type C for sale at the moment. At rather less than ten percent of what that Type B went for...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
Spitfire,

Not a Type B I'm afraid, but I have a very good internally wired Type C for sale at the moment. At rather less than ten percent of what that Type B went for...

I've got a type C allready - but thanks anyway, Johnson.:)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Prices are crazy at the moment for Battle of Britain era RAF kit Søren. I saw a pair of Mk VIII goggles go for over £400 the other week. Bloody mad!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Unbelievable! They aren't even in really good condition! The lenses are mouldy and there is noticeable able wear to the leather pads and rust stains on the strap.

OK, they are in the original box - I think that's 250GBP for the box and 150GBP for the goggles!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
By the way - anybody out there got a spare one for sale.
I could use one - but not for 2.700£ :D

Søren,

You might be interested in getting in touch with Sefton Clothing. They do first rate repairs of WWII RAF flying helmets and I know they have in the past made replica B and C types for people. Knowing their work they will be top class repros and the price tag should be slightly better than 2,000 quid!

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:
I blame the Webosphere...

The effects of the web seem to have been mixed. It certainly has led to a buzz about some items, upping their value. On the other hand (and I've seen this happen several times in Rocky Horror collectors' circles), it can also be the case that the sudden access to a global market means that there are many more of a formerly rare item available, thus drastically dropping its value. My parents have been into antique furniture (but never dressing the part) for years on end. Used to be people bought that stuff as investments, but apparently over the past ten years (as my folks have discovered now they're fully fledged empty nesters of nearly a decade and are looking to downsize) antiques have started to go in and out of fashion. They have some beautiful bookcases that are worth a pittance now compared to the late 90s. I think it's inevitable we'll see this trend with WW2 items, most likely in and around the pending anniversaries (70th, and then the 75th), interest rising as inevitably it becomes the last major global conflict with living eye-witnesses, we'll see interest and therefore values go up for a bit. What the pending (when exactly is it due?) remake of The Dam Busters will do to the price of old RAF stuff (whether worn during that campaign or not!) doesn't bear thinking about!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Søren,

You might be interested in getting in touch with Sefton Clothing. They do first rate repairs of WWII RAF flying helmets and I know they have in the past made replica B and C types for people. Knowing their work they will be top class repros and the price tag should be slightly better than 2,000 quid!

Sounds like a bloody good idear.
But my google search only ended up in some highend fashion shops - do you have a link? Or are they called something more than Sefton Clothing???

Windsock

A-List Customer
Hear'ar

Spitfire said:
Sounds like a bloody good idear.
But my google search only ended up in some highend fashion shops - do you have a link? Or are they called something more than Sefton Clothing???

Soren, send me a pm and i'll give you his email address and phone number. Also, I have one that i'm planning to sell, let me know if you want pics/ details...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
There you go Søren, Andrew to the rescue.

I don't think they have a website, I only have the email address as well.

Andrew, any chance you could post pics anyway, I'm interested in seeing the photos and if Søren decides it's not his cup of tea I could be interested. Not for 2,000 quid mind :D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Andrew - PM under way.
That's what I like so much about this forum - there's allways somebody who knows more than yourself - and there's allways somebody willing to help a fellow lounger.:eusa_clap
Thank you!

Eyemo

Practically Family
This is my BoB figure..a mix of original and good repro...

039-3.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice display Eyemo :eusa_clap

Must be the height of the summer of 1940 as he's wearing regulation Oxfords and not flying boots. And a wingco no less ;) Nice touch not painting the '32 Pattern Mae West yellow, very appropriate for someone of his rank who has been in the service for awhile and has had his for quite a time and still has the original issue colour.

Good job :eusa_clap

Eyemo

Practically Family
Thanks Mate:) ...the Coat is named and has a very interesting selection of medals on it...will get the info for you, if you like?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Eyemo said:
Thanks Mate:) ...the Coat is named and has a very interesting selection of medals on it...will get the info for you, if you like?

Would love to hear Eyemo. Might even be able to supply you with some service history fs the chap was BoB or Battle of France (my main areas of interest). Either way always interested!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24