Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U-boat leather jacket options

subject101

One of the Regulars
I'm talking about the 3/4 u-boat leather coat here, not the panzer leather jacket that was given to some submarine crews.

So far I've found four;

Magnoli Dr Who -> not sure if this is a real u-boat jacket repro
Noble House Shop -> according to other threads, low quality jackets
Spearhead militaria -> chinese, unknown quality
thebadwolf.com -> It seems more Dr Who than a Kriegsmarine thing

Any other option that I'm missing? :)

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I've got the Wested in brown and am quite happy with it, although I haven't given it much wear yet because it has only just started being cold enough here. It's a heavy jacket, though.

Photoss

New in Town
I've seen the wested version in person and heard about the magnoli, both seem to be good choices. You have more freedom with magnoli's though.

subject101

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the answers :) I don't regard those Dr Who and the aero Barnstormer as real u-boat leather jackets, if such a thing ever existed.

There are a lot of pictures of u-boat crews with civil clothes but I have seen some photos of jackets that are quite similar to the one that it is making Spearhead and the Noble House. It makes sense to me because they are more or less like a 3/4 version of the german leather great coat. However, quality of these makers is not clear.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I think the Wested was originally a pattern they used for props for Das Boot, they have subsequently renamed it as a Dr Who jacket to catch that market. According to the Bad Wolf page (which does seem well rehearsed), the actual Dr Who jacket was a vintage Kriegsmarine jacket.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Wested has been having communication issues over on Club Obi Wan with the Indy jacket. If you can get around this the Wested Doctor jacket is a excellent price for a very nice jacket. I love mine, frankly.
It's heavy as hell and quite warm.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The Bad Wolfsite says it was a vintage navy coat but I reckon that design was very common in civilian useage in Europe (esp Germany) throughout the 1950's-1970's. Even the German police wore a version of this double breasted bag until the 1980's. I used to see them hanging in surplus stores for $30 Australian.

Photoss

New in Town
Wested might be your best bet, IF you CALL THEM. They are notorious for failure to recieve or reply to emails. And then call to make sure your order is processing correctly soon after...

ryans

New in Town
U-boat jacket from Noble House and other options

Bought this U-boat jacket last year direct from Noble House. It's really warm and comfortable. Quality is so so okay. Nothing significantly wrong or anything but may not live up to those who are into details.

noblehouse-01-white.jpg

I also have a Dr Who U-boat jacket from Wested but it's Noble House's that has that U-boat vibe to it.

Other U-boat jacket options I had considered but didn't pursue were:

1. Traders of the Lost Surplus ($450)

http://www.totls.com/LEATHER JACKETS OF THE THIRD REICH.htm

2. Replicaters ($218)
http://www.replicaters.com/ww2germannavy.html

The reason I didn't pursue them were because I couldn't find any one who had purchased U-boat jackets from them. If any one did, I'd certainly appreciate your feedback.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No offence intended but the Noblehouse jacket looks like a haphazard reproduction if the photos are anythign to go by.

By the way - Schott and Gibson and Barnes do 3/4 length double breasted coats too. Check the websites. Not navy, more of a 1950's police look. G&B are some of the best made jackets you can get - I have 2.

I own a Wested and I'd have to say the quality is very ordinary.

subject101

One of the Regulars
By the way - Schott and Gibson and Barnes do 3/4 length double breasted coats too. Check the websites. Not navy, more of a 1950's police look. G&B are some of the best made jackets you can get - I have 2.

But those are civilian jackets :)

Dr Who stuff aside, so far we have only 5 Kriegsmarine reproductions;

Spearhead militaria
Noble house shop
Traders of lost surplus - http://www.totls.com/LEATHER JACKETS OF THE THIRD REICH.htm -> this one looks like very promising but the picture is bad
Replicaters - http://www.replicaters.com/ww2germannavy.html -> another bad picture

Not too much offer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner