Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uisce Beatha - A Discussion of Irish Whiskey

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
Jameson Crested Ten...one of the nicest. Best served on a cold rainy night in front of a blazing fire with a sup of hot water (put a metal spoon in the glass first so it won't crack!) and cloves.

HepKitty We put alcohol into alot of cake recipes over here! My grandmother puts almost a full bottle of brandy in her Christmas cake! And my mam mixes a large can of Guinness into her puddings!

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
There are severl incarnations but my experience is only with what I can get my hands on and that has been the classic blend. I can't find the single malt around here. :eusa_doh:

Have you tried Cask in Union Square? When I was there in May they had several bottles of Irish whiskey that are generally not imported to the US, including Tullamore Dew Distillery Reserve (which I thought was only available at the distillery itself!). It seems like they can get their hands on a lot of stuff that is not commonly available elsewhere.

Ace Rimmer said:
Have you tried Cask in Union Square? When I was there in May they had several bottles of Irish whiskey that are generally not imported to the US, including Tullamore Dew Distillery Reserve (which I thought was only available at the distillery itself!). It seems like they can get their hands on a lot of stuff that is not commonly available elsewhere.

That would mean I would have to go to San Francisco though. ;) :p
I'll check with them and see what they have. Thanks. :D

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
That would mean I would have to go to San Francisco though. ;) :p
I'll check with them and see what they have. Thanks. :D

Give them a buzz and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I would not rely upon their website as they did not have the non-US Irish whiskey offerings listed on their website last I checked. As an example, my sister (who lives in the area) brought me a bottle of Millar's Irish Whiskey that she bought from Cask. It's a 70 cl bottle and generally not imported into the US. It's also not listed on their website.

Be thankful that you're closer than me to Cask ... I'm about 3,000 miles away or so. lol The owners have a whiskey bar somewhere in San Fran as well; I visited it in May and they've got a great selection of Irish whiskeys.

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
Classic Irish only please

There is only one true classic Irish Whiskey in the USA, as far as I know, and that is Redbreast.

Classic Irish whiskey is made only with barley, some of it malted, and all of it distilled only in a true pot still. There's nothing else like it.

Tony

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
^^ Tony, it's true that Redbreast is one of the few PPS Irish whiskeys available to us in the States, but it's not the only one. Certain speciality whiskey bars can get Green Spot, which is also PPS.

In fact the whiskey bar I mentioned to jamespowers above in San Francisco carries Green Spot. You'll pay through the nose to get it (I recall it was $40+ per 2 oz serving) because Mitchell & Son reportedly only commission a scant 200 cases per year. Most of that stays in the home market in Ireland. Precious few bottles make it overseas, and fewer still to the United States. :(

davidraphael

Practically Family
I lived in Dublin for a few years and downed Jamesons and Redbreast like babies drink milk. Bushmills also occasionally got a look in...

However, as far as I am concerned, the best Irish whiskey is Midleton Very Rare. Beautiful. Melts in the mouth. But you'll need to dig deep - it's about $120-150 a bottle.

m311.jpg

Dan'l

Practically Family
Ace Rimmer wrote: "My regular Irish whiskey is Powers Gold Label. If I had all the money in the world I'd drink something else but per Jim Murray (author of the Whiskey Bible 2010), "an entire nation cannot be wrong". PGL is the #1 seller by volume in Ireland itself. At $21/bottle it's very hard to beat; you cannot get that level of pot still character in a NAS Jameson, Tully or White Bush. "

I bought my first bottle of Powers Gold Label last night and I really enjoyed the taste. I've always liked Bushmills but PGL has a noticably different, and better, flavor.
I'm looking to try a bottle of Red Breast after reading about it on this thread.
Now, how much longer until this work day is over?

Ace Rimmer wrote: "My regular Irish whiskey is Powers Gold Label. If I had all the money in the world I'd drink something else but per Jim Murray (author of the Whiskey Bible 2010), "an entire nation cannot be wrong". PGL is the #1 seller by volume in Ireland itself. At $21/bottle it's very hard to beat; you cannot get that level of pot still character in a NAS Jameson, Tully or White Bush. "

I bought my first bottle of Powers Gold Label last night and I really enjoyed the taste. I've always liked Bushmills but PGL has a noticably different, and better, flavor.
I'm looking to try a bottle of Red Breast after reading about it on this thread.
Now, how much longer until this work day is over?

I am glad my namesake is getting its due. ;)
I'll have to go out and get a bottle myself. :D

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
So? Did you go out and get some yet :p
Seeing how this latest post is years after the ones before....I think someone did indeed, find that Red Breast Whiskey....and to this day, they still have not returned......lol!

Just now thinking of THAT name...Red Breast.....(ouchies) lol!

camjr

Familiar Face
I stick with Tullamore Dew. A few of the hotels I frequent while on the road carry it for me as well. Definitely worth a try.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto