Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK (and US!) girls

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I just came back from a 50s memorabilia show and made the most wonderful discovery. I just had to share!

There was a couple exhibiting there, and the girl makes high waisted trousers from that Simplicity pattern to order as well as circle skirts, tie-front tops, bloomery sort of tap-pants hybrids, and judging by her site, all sorts of other stuff!

But the best part was the guy who buys the parts of Remix wedgies from the same factory in Mexico as Remix do (and is actual proper business partners with Philip the owner) and makes them up at his shop to sell. But not only that, he makes them in a wider range of colours AND he is about to launch 4 pairs of exclusive designs that he is making himself! He and the girl are apparently looking through Sears catalogues to come up with some great new designs to go with the standard wedge sole.

He had the Spectator wedge in shades of pink and all sorts of others. I thought this might be of interest to US ladies as well, since I don't think it would be *vastly* more to order them from him if you wanted custom colours.

He charges £79 so for us its great as we don't pay much for postage (£6) or duty, and he has a shop in Sutton, south London. From his site he also does 40s platform repros too!

Take a look (no Remix shoes on his site though, he said he'll have them on soon) http://www.johnsonshoes.com.

And the girl: http://www.pinstripeandpolka.com. Trousers are £50, custom sized to your dress size and leg length!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
That's great Fleur!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Just had a look at the clothes site and looks like she is uploading at the moment, quite fancy a pair of high waisted trousers!

ladyk

Familiar Face
I've been meaning to order shoes from him for quite a while, I'm rather excited to see he has new shoes on the way.... perhaps I will wait a little longer and see what he comes up with.

Thats for the link to the clothes, I see at least one outfit I would love to have made for me, and thats with a very quick glance. That ones going in the bookmarks to check back on.

May I ask what the event was you went to?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Elaina said:
You may want to pass it on to her that Simplicity may go after her since they state that the patterns aren't for manufacturing for sale. I knew a woman who did it on the web that wound up in hot water over it.

Oh...well I am only speculating since she never said what pattern she'd used, or even if she'd actually used a pattern...since she has scaled the sizes slightly differently from the vintage ones so they fit modern women slightly better I'm not sure they'd even count as being from that particular pattern. I only said that they were the Simplicity since they have the same cut - with the 4 side buttons etc. If the Vintage Fashion Library can sell reproductions of the actual pattern here, surely it should be ok to sell the trousers? I know others do, Vivien of Holloway, for example.

LadyK: it was Jukebox Madness at Kempton Park racecourse. I hadn't been before and thought the £7 entry was a bit steep as it's not that big...until I found these guys and it was all worthwhile!

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
And the Germany gals too

Fleur De Guerre said:
I just came back from a 50s memorabilia show and made the most wonderful discovery. I just had to share!

There was a couple exhibiting there, and the girl makes high waisted trousers from that Simplicity pattern to order as well as circle skirts, tie-front tops, bloomery sort of tap-pants hybrids, and judging by her site, all sorts of other stuff!

But the best part was the guy who buys the parts of Remix wedgies from the same factory in Mexico as Remix do (and is actual proper business partners with Philip the owner) and makes them up at his shop to sell. But not only that, he makes them in a wider range of colours AND he is about to launch 4 pairs of exclusive designs that he is making himself! He and the girl are apparently looking through Sears catalogues to come up with some great new designs to go with the standard wedge sole.

He had the Spectator wedge in shades of pink and all sorts of others. I thought this might be of interest to US ladies as well, since I don't think it would be *vastly* more to order them from him if you wanted custom colours.

He charges £79 so for us its great as we don't pay much for postage (£6) or duty, and he has a shop in Sutton, south London. From his site he also does 40s platform repros too!

Take a look (no Remix shoes on his site though, he said he'll have them on soon) http://www.johnsonshoes.com.

And the girl: http://www.pinstripeandpolka.com. Trousers are £50, custom sized to your dress size and leg length!

Thank you Fleure de Guerre for sharing the links! We German gals are interested too.

KatieD

New in Town
Johnson Shoes

I swear by Johnson shoes, they're just so comfortable (and we're talking the high heels here). Apart from the Remix shoes he makes all his shoes - mostly to order, so you can match your shoes to your dress, and he'll also make vegan shoes (including the glue) if asked.

Katie

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Sorry Lady De Winter, I should have thought of European girls as well! Duh.

KatieD thanks for the review of his other shoes too! A lot of the other dance shoes Colin does look very vintage so I am ever so pleased I found out about him!

GOK

One Too Many
Following Katie's recommendation of Colin Johnson, my partner is going to get a pair from him. He was over the moon to discover that he makes vegan footwear. Now all I need to do is find a really good excuse...ummmm, reason to get the five or six pairs of high heels that I've been coveting for ages!

Re; the vintage patterns - I've been using them for years to make the repro vintage clothing that I sell and have never had any problems at all. It's the same with the Victorian and Edwardian corset patterns - again, no problems.

TBH I can't see how companies such as Simplicity and Vogue etc could prove someone used their patterns - there are so many similar ones around, especially vintage ones. And there must be a lot of people like me who look at a design and make their own patterns. In which case, they are never going to be exactly the same as the originals.

Having said that, I fully understand why the pattern companies don't want people making money from their designs. However, they have to expect that some folks will be doing just that.

Rosie

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic: I thought it was Lady DeWinter from the film/book Rebecca.

I was wondering whether those shoes were made to order. I really, really think I'm going to get a few pairs.

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
de Winter

Rosie said:
:eek:fftopic: I thought it was Lady DeWinter from the film/book Rebecca.

To disclose the secret: I loved the three musceteer movie when I was a girl (the old movie with Lana Turner and Gene Kelly). But LadydeWinter refers to Rebecca when I was a little girl I was very impressed by Joan Fontaine. I was a very shy an unsecure too:eek:fftopic:

I had a look at the Johnson shoe site yesterday. The shoes are really cute especially the platforms but the heels are so high. Why can't anybody make such shoes with a lower heel.

GOK

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic:

Rosie, that was Mrs de Winter; I'm pretty sure Maxim was merely rich, not a baronet! lol

Lady (or Milady) de Winter, OTOH is the object of D'Artagnan's obsessions. She is notable for being both beautiful, ruthless and an agent for Cardinal Richelieu. She is also branded with a fleur de lis, which historically is what happened to prostitutes in France; so of course, she is an evil seductress!

Prior to working for Richelieu and with the Comte de Rochefort, she was the wife of Athos, who attempted to execute her when he discovered what disreputable spouse he had (I think she had stolen some things from the local church, he realised the thief was she and then discovered her brand).

After murdering several people - one of who was D'Artagnan's lover - she was adjudged guilty by the Musketeers and her de Winter brother in law and then beheaded by the executioner of Lille (I think), who was the one that branded her.

Milady was great....in a thoroughly evil baddie kind of way! Oh, and Lana Turner played her in the 40s!

Musketeers20Poster.jpg

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
LadyDeWinter said:
I had a look at the Johnson shoe site yesterday. The shoes are really cute especially the platforms but the heels are so high. Why can't anybody make such shoes with a lower heel.

Ah, well I emailed him yesterday to find out if he does the Remix babydoll pumps as well, they are a bit lower!

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Babydolls

Fleur De Guerre said:
Ah, well I emailed him yesterday to find out if he does the Remix babydoll pumps as well, they are a bit lower!

Oh, thank you so much. I have been thinking of ordering the babydoll shoes but couldn't decide. I think I will buy them. They are so cute.

My problem with high heels is that I cannot walk in them and that I am already 6 feet tall without shoes!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
LadyDeWinter said:
Oh, thank you so much. I have been thinking of ordering the babydoll shoes but couldn't decide. I think I will buy them. They are so cute.

My problem with high heels is that I cannot walk in them and that I am already 6 feet tall without shoes!

Me too, on both! Well I'm 5'11 but close enough ;)

As soon as I get a reply I'll let you know. I can't see why he wouldn't do them though!

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
Me too, on both! Well I'm 5'11 but close enough ;)

As soon as I get a reply I'll let you know. I can't see why he wouldn't do them though!

Thank you Fleur de Guerre

I have also the problems tha I have very big feet. I take UK size 9. And I have seen that Johnson makes shoes in almost every size (and colour). I dream of geeting wedges every day. Remix shoes has wedges in size 9 but they run very small and they don't fit me.

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner