Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate EASTMAN (ELC) flying kit thread.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Welcome

First off, welcome to the forum. ELC makes some really great jackets. The reason I believe some choose not to buy their PHE is because it's made of steerhide and being that it's artificially aged doesn't help either. I have actually owned a couple and I can honestly say I really don't like them. Now there is a new repro maker out there (Goodwear) made by a chap named John Chapman. I have never owned one of his jackets, so personally I can't tell you how they are but many own his jackets and swear by them. All in all there are some really great repros out there but if you want 100% authenticity then nothing beats an original. Good luck on your quest.

Steve

Taikonaut

New in Town
Thanks Steve, do you have the website to Goodwear?
I saw a few photos on here and the grains on their leather look very authentic.

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Captain Krunch said:
Greyhound, I'm thinking of getting the Flight Suits goatskin A-2 in the next month or so. How long have you had yours? How's the hide? I have one of their historical horsehide ones, and that horse is one tough hide! It has yet to break in to my satisfaction. I'm hoping that their goatskin will be much softer.

I have a FS M-422A and love it still after 3 years. The leather is goatskin and a little stiff; still not broken in to my satisfaction either. But still great quality. And yes, their customer service is outstanding!

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Hey Paddy, the Star is really nice. The pic above doesn't do it justice. I tweaked it. Hope you don't mind.

star1-level.jpg

Mark

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone, excuse the bump but I thought this would probably be the most appropriate place to post this.

I've been looking for something classic and slim-fitting since I like the look on me, being slim guy (72 kg 188 cm/~159 pounds 6' 3", 31" waist on jeans) and all, and have decided to settle on one of the Eastman luftwaffe jackets, and I'd like some opinions on both of them - pictures would of course be great too, particulary of the backside, as the thing I'm most interested in is the fit.

The thing is, I like the design of the 'standard' luftwaffe version slightly more, and the horsehide character also sounds slightly more appealing to me than steer, however judging from the pictures, the 'Hartmann' is closer to the fit I'm looking for - something really snug, that practically almost wears like shirt. The standard luftwaffe version isn't really bad either, but appears a good deal more loose in the back, and I'd like to know exactly how much before I decide on ordering either - So gentlemen, if anyone of you have experience on the subject or otherwise would like to voice their opinion, by all means make yourself heard :).

Any tips on sizing are welcome too, currently I'm looking to order one in 38" Long, though since the jackets are short enough already I'm wondering if I should request them to add an inch extra or so on top of that due to my disproportionate height if possible (and if anyone knows if/how much extra they charge for things like that, the information would be much appriciated!)

Luftwaffe Jacket frm ELC

hi m000 - i got one by myself since 4 years and i am of quite slim shape, too. i got one regular size 40 and it turns out to be a little baggy with good space around the shoulders; for trimmer fit i would have to go with 38. but for this one, 40 is OK with me so i can wear some knit stuff with shirts under it with no "packed feeling". the leather is superb, inner lining very splendid and of finest quality, all zippers working smooth and press buttons tight and well working. if you swing between the Luftwaffe and the Hartmann, the Luftwaffe is definately the more baggier' one; even though you can adjust the side with the small belts, it will be only tight around your chest but blousy around your body.

i'll try to make a picture of it and load it up the next days.

whatever you go for - ELC will be a good choice in any case.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the comments, it'll come in handy when I place in the order. I'd gather I could ask Eastman to snug in an inch or two in the waist from the usual if needed, since the jacket will be made-to-order anyway?

And pictures would of course be awesome if you just can find some time for them :).

hellisforheroes

New in Town
Eastman A-2 Havana Brown Horsehide

New member here, I have been looking at the forum for awhile reading peoples opinions on good manufactures for A-2 jackets. I decided to go with an Eastman A-2 in Havana brown horsehide. My question to you guys is, does anyone on the the forum own one? I like the way it looks on the Eastman Leather and History Preservation websites but I was curious to know if someone could take a few pictures of theirs so I can get a better idea of how the shade looks in real life.

hellisforheroes

New in Town
Hopefully Kinabalu will see this thread and post pictures of his. anyone else who has one I would really appreciate a few pictures

mb1101

New in Town
Eastman Leather Pearl Harbor Havana Brown A2 leather jacket

here are some images of my Eastman Leather Pearl Harbor A2 leather in Havana brown:

DSC00796.jpg

DSC00798.jpg

promoshoot5.jpg

phpromostills14.jpg

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
i would like to join this Eastman admirer's group! (if you guys like to be called such). I own a new ELC goatskin in dark brown, man, i was first blown away by the unique shiny, stiff finish and the superb grain, then i was nonpluzzed as to how long this thing is going to soften at all!! any ideas guys? it seems you all like horsehides...

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anybody??? About my ELC goatskin, the patina starts to develop, brown is lurking out from the dark green. BUT, a big but, one area of the hide showed a tiny crack/surface peel! Hasn't peeled yet but a crack is forming, what the hhhhhh?? I owned an older ELC goat, was blown away by the thickness, so I ordered this, much thinner. Still one of a kind goat, but why the cracking???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy