Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Uncontested - The Champ"

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
WOW! :eek: You were not lying,JoshBru,that CHAMP is literally like brand new! Congrats on a killer score!

Nothing is more cool (and fun!) than wearing an honest to goodness vintage fedora AND having it be in pristine NEW/NEVER WORN condition to boot,eh?
Enjoy that virgin CHAMP and don`t be afraid to wear it (and show it off).

HMH

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the compliments hatophile & HosManHatter!!!! I appreciate it. I was a little scared to wear the hat out because I didnt want to "de-virginize" it but then I thought about it and figured that a hat like this should be shown out in public.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
DarkAudit said:
So how mangled was the eBay listing? :D

The listing wasnt too bad I thought.

The title read: VINTAGE J.H. SHOOP & SONS FELT HAT "CHAMP"

The description read: THIS AUCTION IS FOR A VINTAGE J.H.SHOOP& SONS FELT HAT . ON THE SWEATBAND IT HAS J.H. SHOOP & SONS
FREEPORT PA , ALSO CHAMP FEEL THE FELT AND
KASMIR FINISH . ON THE HATBAND THERE IS A STRING
WITH A BUTTON , I DON T KNOW WHAT THIS IS FOR ,
BUT THINK IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN REMOVED BEFORE
WEARING . THE SIZE IS A SIZE 7THIS HAT HAS THAT
" BRAND NEW " APPERANCE
I M NOT SURE OF IT S TRUE AGE BUT MY GUESS WOULD
BE THE LATE 40 S OR EARLY 50 S.

I really am unsure why no one bid on it. Its a size 7, but I know that there are many people on the lounge with a size 7 skull.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Joshbru3 said:

The description read: THIS AUCTION IS FOR A VINTAGE J.H.SHOOP& SONS FELT HAT . ON THE SWEATBAND IT HAS J.H. SHOOP & SONS
" BRAND NEW " APPERANCE

I really am unsure why no one bid on it. Its a size 7, but I know that there are many people on the lounge with a size 7 skull.

Congratulations on a great buy and a beautiful hat! If I had seen the listing, I'd have bid on it! :eusa_doh:

Joshbru3 said:
I found this one labeled weird on ebay and no one had bid on it. The auction ended and asked the seller if it was still for sale. I never expected this. The mail man brought this MINT (New Old Stock) Champ to my door yesterday. I bought the hat because it had a really cool ribbon pattern, and I knew it was nice, but not this nice. It looks like it came right from the Champ factory. If it was worn, it was worn once. No nibbles, no staining, no odor, no marks, nothing. The sweatband is smooth as silk and very pliable. This hat is my most prestine one to date and the felt really is the softest thing ive ever felt. It almost feels like suede. Heres some pics. (Pics of me wearing it in other threads)

Great find and you look good wearing it in the other threads! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Tooch

One of the Regulars
I found this one labeled weird on ebay and no one had bid on it. The auction ended and asked the seller if it was still for sale. I never expected this. The mail man brought this MINT (New Old Stock) Champ to my door yesterday.

Oh, that's a score!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for the kind words SteveAS, Fly Boy, mayserwegener, & Tooch. This is really my new favorite hat. Scoring a hat like this probably isnt good for the checkbook, because now im going to want to find all these hidden treasures on ebay and antique stores even more than before. Just knowing that there are gems like this Champ out there, adds some fuel to my already burning hat addiction. LOL.

Joshbru3 said:

" BRAND NEW " APPERANCE

Guess some of us pinheads missed that one Josh, more the better for you, eh?

But really, you'll find some great ones that look untouched, and those that aren't crazy popular like the Stetson strats and whippets will be just as nice,
but easier to bid on and win. Good luck!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1960's Champ Open Road...Rebashed

I frequent this vintage clothing store/antique store near my house in Chicago. Every time I go, I go to the vintage hat rack to see if the owner got any new vintage hats that fit me. Every time that I have gone, I have seen that there is a child size manikin wearing a silver open road type hat. It was always too high up to reach, so I finally asked the owner to take the hat down and tell me the size. She said that it had been up there for years and no one had asked about it. When she went to take the hat down, there was so much old debris and drywall on the hat, that the brim spilled over with debris on the floor. There was a little staining on the back of the crown, the brim was bent straight up in the air, and it needed a severe brushing. The owner sold me the hat for $10 because I was really unsure how clean i could actually get the hat. I spent hours on it, and I think it turned out pretty good. Heres some before and after pictures.

Before:
DSC04008.jpg

DSC04009.jpg

DSC04010.jpg

After:
DSC04014.jpg

DSC04017.jpg

DSC04018.jpg

Some inside pics:
DSC04029.jpg

DSC04028.jpg

DSC04026.jpg

DSC04022.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Mr E Train said:
You did a great job on it! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Rodkins said:
That looks great. Nice work!
hatophile said:
Very nice Josh. How does it look on?

Thanks Mr E Train, Rodkins, and hatophile!!! I love the color of this hat. I really need to get more white and "silverbelly" hats. I just have to be real careful not to get them dirty. Black and grey are obviously much more forgiving than white or silver when it comes to dirt smudges, I guess thats why I have so many grey hats.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1950s Champ Featherweight

I just bought this hat from ebay. I would doubt if this hat was ever worn. Its MINT. The felt is extremely light weight and thin. The most interesting part of the hat is most definately the ribbon. The ribbon is a pug style with four color levels. The colors go from tan, to light grey, to dark grey, to light brown.

DSC04553.jpg

DSC04552.jpg

DSC04546.jpg

DSC04547.jpg

DSC04533.jpg

DSC04529.jpg

DSC04524.jpg

DSC04519.jpg

DSC04516.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members