Under our jackets?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Jrolfe, Nov 15, 2019.

1. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

I have to agree with your wife. I wouldn’t tuck pullovers into trousers. Aero has fair isle sweaters and vests that are shorter in the body and those could work depending on your jacket length.

Carlos840 likes this.
  2. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Too short to wear a shirt untucked and the jacket zippered is the big shortcoming of many of the jacket styles featured on TFL. In my opinion nothing looks sillier than 4” of shirt peaking out. Typically if i’m wearing a short jacket that needs ro be zipped then I wear a shirt that can be tucked in like a regular oxford. If extra warmth is needed I have a few shorter wool vests. Option 2 is wear a longer jacket. My deck jacket and D1 hit a little below the belt and will accomodate shorter shirts untucked.

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  3. Will Zach

Will Zach One of the Regulars

I recently did a test on a 32F windy day - long-sleeved crew neck shirt from Uniqlo, a light-weight runner's hoodie from YoungLA, and a HD CR with a Rayon liner. Did not work out so well - after about 30 minutes my upper body was cold. Next I will try replacing the Uniqlo with an LL Bean base layer that is supposed to be warm and thin.

Great thread - hope to find info on the holy Grail of layering - something thin and warm at the same time.

4. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

I bought a Bob Dong version of this. Removed the felt letters from it - which was a job and a half but better than walking round with 'Better Bob Dong' on your shirt :)

I wish they'd sell them plain as I'd buy another.

I normaly can't get on with Hoodies under jackets as the hood never seems to fit right with the collar.

I've got a Runabout Goods Fully Vested which is great as it cuts the wind in the body but the lighter wool sleeves mean it doesn't feel like you are wearing an extra layer or restrict movement any in the shoulders. Love the pocket details on it too. Can't see it on the website anymore but its this...

Fully Vested.png

Other than that a decent wool jumper.

I did get a wool mix hoodie like this from universal Works in the sales last winter which I like a lot as its thin but super warm and not too baggy a cut.

mtrlr, navetsea, JCSD and 6 others like this.
  5. Jrolfe

Jrolfe One of the Regulars

Always looking dapper my friend!

6. Jrolfe

Jrolfe One of the Regulars

That look you got there is awesome! So badass.

7. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Turtleneck-shirt, what else? :D

navetsea, Dphillip and Jrolfe like this.
  8. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Vendor

Aww I miss living in Hawaii!

For me, most of the time it is a long sleeve t shirt but depends on the jacket. I like to have something over my arms if the liner is Rayon or similar material. Otherwise my arms seem to get sticky inside the sleeves. Especially at the bend opposite the elbow. Cotton liners are just fine for me with a short sleeve shirt on.

Regards,
    Jay

navetsea likes this.
  9. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

for clarity, not me in the photo, was just trying to find a photo of the jumper/vest. Agree its a good look though.

Jrolfe likes this.
  10. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

T-shirts and lightweight shirts in warmer months and heavier shirts, sweaters, hoodies or cardigans in autumn and winter. So pretty much everything, I enjoy wearing different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrolfe likes this.
  11. Powerband

Powerband Practically Family

Dude, you nailed this observation. My buddy wears jackets of various physical sizes between 46 to 50 and they all look about the same fit on him. I go from 38 to 40 and look like a background gangster in a bad mafia movie.

navetsea, JCSD and Jrolfe like this.
  12. Powerband

Powerband Practically Family

I don’t wear hoodies often (only on a cold, lazy weekend), but the American Giant hoodie is the only one I’d wear.

Seb Lucas and Jrolfe like this.
  13. JMax

JMax Call Me a Cab

White or Black T-Shirts or Henleys. For colder weather the same but add a hoodie or mechanics sweater.

JCSD and Jrolfe like this.
  14. NZJono

NZJono New in Town

I find Merino wool layers such as the ‘IceBreaker’ brand from New Zealand work really well under jackets. They can be tucked in and are also very warm, and come in varying thicknesses.

Jrolfe likes this.
  15. RL204

RL204 New in Town

Button up flannel is my go to for warmth under any jacket.

Living in Edmonton Alberta Canada gets real cold so I’m trying a thick vest this year to go over my leather and help me keep wearing my favourite jackets into the -20C range. Perk of the vest is it has hand warmer pockets which are almost a necessity this far north. I’ve never worn leather in winter before as it’s just not that good at keeping you toasty warm. So far the setup pictured below has been tested to -20C and it works. Don’t know if I’d wear this ice fishing all day but it works walking around in the cold for 30min or so. In about 1 month I’ll be able to test it in -30. Exciting ;)

Attached Files:

Powerband and navetsea like this.
  16. Will Zach

Will Zach One of the Regulars

Great post, thanks. I will give the Universal Works hoodie in charcoal a shot. Universal Works products are actually stocked by several retailers in NYC, so I may be able to check if I can fit in S or even XS (I wear 38/40 in jackets). There are measurements on Universal Works website and the hoodies seem to be cut quite generously. May I ask your jacket size and your hoodie size?

17. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

That’s a good look. I’ve been on the lookout for a comparable vest at a bargain. I’d be guessing a bit on size.

18. Cornelius

Cornelius New in Town

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the mackinaw wool vests from Filson. Easiest way to bump an autumn work jacket up to winter weight.

Other than that I go with merino underlayers, military surplus wool or a good Donegal sweater.

Jrolfe and Bfd70 like this.
  19. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

You're right about short jacket styles and I understand the shirt peaking out is a pressing concern for many here. Mostly I don't mind the look at all. I have developed a more relaxed view on this and proudly let my shirt tails peak out underneath some of my jackets.

JCSD likes this.
  20. RL204

RL204 New in Town

I really like it when my shirt sleeves poke out a little. Nothing wrong with a little shirt exposed out the bottom either. If you have a nice shirt on no point hiding all of it.

navetsea and Seb Lucas like this.