Under our jackets?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Jrolfe, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Jrolfe

Jrolfe One of the Regulars

IMG_6821.JPG ive found it interesting on the preferred layering of clothes under our leathers. Of course as the weather is getting colder more or thicker fabrics are being worn. I'm in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. so flannels are my go to. Maybe we could get some ideas & pics of everyone's "go to's". Here's a wool Briarscliff from the 60s & a true classics tee.

Peter Bowden, torfjord and Psant25 like this.
  2. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

Hanes Beefy t-shirt, flannel shirt. If I'm wearing the Aero Cafe Racer, I'll just have a t-shirt under it with a scarf if it's cold.

bn1966 and Jrolfe like this.
  3. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I’ll sport flannels and a vest. I have a nice Donegal tweed and a nylon quilted. That usually does me right.

Phil Silv3rs and Jrolfe like this.
  4. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Interesting thing about layers. Bigger fellas can easily sport a jacket 1size up with a tshirt and then layer as needed. If slimmer, one size becomes proprtionately bigger, ie 38 to 36 is bigger than 48 to 46. I can layer under my D1 (and have needed to lately) which i consider too big. Under my jackets that “fit” a button down, maybe a flannel is all there is room for.

Jrolfe likes this.
  5. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

IMG_2880.jpg
    I've been wearing linen.

El Marro, Fonzie, RL204 and 9 others like this.
  6. Will Zach

Will Zach One of the Regulars

A hoodie is my go-to under a leather jacket. Not entirely age-appropriate but I don't care.

7. Jrolfe

Me too. I usually size up a bit just for hoodies or flannels. Then wish I haven't. But that's my endlessly questioning brain.

El Marro likes this.
  8. Jrolfe

Beautiful jacket Jonesy! & the backdrop too!

jonesy86 likes this.
  9. Jrolfe

I noticed your vests & actually started surfing the webs for one. Anytime you wanna share half your wardrobe with me would be great

10. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

Most of the time long sleeve tshirt.

11. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Henley's often, I love the pike brothers ones. Flannels as well, or if really cold I'll pull on a roll neck sweater, but my mates take the p.... out of those.

El Marro likes this.
  12. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I can't get into flannel - all I wear are a black t-shirt and black v-neck wool sweater (I have many of these). I've never owned a hoodie.

13. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

Hoodies are wonderful things. Also originally workwear, as long as you get one in a dark colour with nothing printed on it, I don't think there's an 'age limit' on them- I find them really useful when travelling.

Honeyman1935 likes this.
  14. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Can't bring myself to wear one - it's just not my look. But the ones made by American Giant look really well made

15. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

They're such simple things that even cheap ones seem to last a long time. Gildan and Fruit of the Loom do these kind of hoodies and I've had two for years. I'd not spend much on them, though.

16. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

Great thread idea!
    I live in Southern California fairly close to the coast. The climate is a chaparral and not a desert and therefore it does not get as hot as a desert, but not as cold as one either. Most of the time, I just wear t shirts and chambray shirts under my jackets. When it gets a little colder, I wear flannels, sweatshirts (no hoods) and maybe a scarf.

This is usually what I wear in California - a t shirt or a light-medium weight shirt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've traveled to much colder places such as Japan, Massachusetts, Colorado, and Missouri during the winter and even then all I need on top of the sweatshirt and scarf is a pair of gloves.

This shot was taken in Japan:
    [​IMG]

Tonio, bn1966, handymike and 5 others like this.
  17. Dav

Dav One Too Many

I own a hoodie, that I do like, but just never seem to wear it. Funny really as I'll wear a flying jacket without batting an eyelid, yet feel self conscious in a hoodie. Perhaps it's because they just didn't seem to be around much as I grew up???

dubpynchon and Peter Bowden like this.
  18. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman A-List Customer

I got one of these Bronson moto racing shirts. Extremely heavy cotton, but not too thick to wear under a sweater. Screenshot_20191116_095908_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

19. Striver

Striver New in Town

Hi All,
    I don't often post... but I've been meaning to get some advice about under jacket attire for a while, so I'm pleased this subject has been raised!
    I like mostly jackets that end just about on my jeans belt: but cold times are coming.... I need to find pullovers/sweaters that I can wear that don't show beneath the lower edge of my jackets. Sometimes I resort to tucking pullovers into my jeans but my wife says that looks terrible! Any suggestions/ recommendations? I live in the UK.
    Thanks.

Jrolfe and Bfd70 like this.
  20. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

I like hefty Field and Stream flannel shirts