Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unsure About A-2 Sizes. "Not Again ?" You Say!

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
I know this subject has been flogged to death on The Lounge but I just need some quick advice, please.
I'd like an A-2 that looks "kinda WW2-ish".
I can't afford one of the top notch repros at the moment because Mrs Fogey UK is remodelling the kitchen. So, I'm thrown back to secondhand stuff on eBay.
The ones that turn up most seem to be the old military spec Coopers.
I'm 5 feet 8 inches, 42 inch chest and 33 inch waist but rather broad-shouldered for my height (I'd be better proportioned if I was 2 inches taller !). I want a jacket for summer wear that that's not too blousy but will occasionally accomodate me in a sweatshirt underneath it - because of our crummy English summer weather.
In looking for a suitable old spec Cooper that will meet my requirements, should I look for a 42 Regular or go up a size to 44 Regular ?
Alternatively, has anyone out there got a Cooper or similar WW2-ish goatskin A-2 jacket that they don't want anymore that would fit me and they'd be prepared to sell for the sort of price they fetch on eBay ?

Pyrogun

New in Town
Definitely go up to a 44 on a Cooper.
They are cut to a slim "military fit"
I am of similar proportions as you but with a 40 in. chest. I had a 40R Cooper that was uncomfortably snug on me.
A size 42R fits me fine

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
size uP

good advice, the cooper's are a bit tight, so a 44 would be in order

but cooper's are not all that ww2...the worst thing about them is the overly large neck hole, and then of course they have a rather large pointy collar, and they are short, 25" for regular size

i've got a 44 reg in near mint shape if you want it for ebay prices...got it while i was buying everything post ww2 a-2...i have a milspec schott, very hard to find...built to mil contract, as written in the label...i think i have one that has the milspec allowed 90s side pockets next to the patch pockets, but i do have a very rare one that is ww2 spec, that meets all ww2 specs including top patch pocket entry only...most schotts you will get anywhere, especially on ebay, are the 184sm or variant model, that is not milspec, and is a cross with a g-1

i think i have a size 44 on the schott that should fit...don't know if it's the side pocket milspec (90s milspec) or the ww2 milspec, but it's quite rare, i'd probably want $200 for that, which is less than the three bills it is worth...both schotts are minty, but they run short, about 24.5" from collar seam in the back to bottom

the coopers can go for $125 plus shipping...super nice shape in and out

i do have a spiewak and sons, very nice condition, size 44, probably would work for you...that's a total ww2 milspec, a class act everyone would agree in post ww2 a-2s...that would need to be $200...everything's plus shipping

lemme know...but as per the original question, these, and most milspec, post ww2 a-2s (made before 2000) run about a size too small

good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace