Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unusual stains on my new Aero leather jacket

Moodles

New in Town
Hi all,

A few days ago I got my new Aero leather jacket. It's great and I love it, except after a day or so I noticed weird blue stains on the inside collar, and even a little red stain near the zipper.

Now I have no idea if I somehow caused this, or whether it came with the jacket. Any ideas what it could do or how to remove it? It does seem like the blue is worse sometimes. I emailed Aero and Denny suggested it could be aftershave or something, but I don't wear anything. I literally have no idea. Maybe sweat? I did go to the gym and wear it back home before a shower, Gross, I don't think I sweat that much, and even if I did, surely it wouldn't stain blue like that.

Any thoughts? And how to get rid of it?

https://ibb.co/in5wG5
https://ibb.co/eCZZ3k (small red stain on the far right)
https://ibb.co/jmLVb5
https://ibb.co/emeqb5

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I get marks like that on my jackets from the make-up of all the chicks who keep throwing themselves at me. Usually buffs out.
I think it might be the waxy pencils they use to mark the hides so they know where to cut- like a tailor uses chalk.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mild soapy water, damp cloth, wipe clean. You can't hurt a jacket with water. I wipe stains off my jackets every week - mainly food.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I cannot recognize anything on the first two, but on the last one, that big blueish area, that's not from sweat. I wear my jackets a lot, sweating in them, especially in the collar area and have never seen such a thing. That looks like it got in contact with something blue, possibly rubbed against it.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
can be metal reaction, do you wear somekind of metal neck chain or something, or maybe hang it on metal door knob or something? copper, brass, bronze would make red and blue stain

or if you dye your hair recently, with sweat the dye can do some reaction too since it contains ammonia and stuff.

Last edited:

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I would talk to Holly or Ken,
they are great people and will sort it out with you.
Would not worry too much.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I get marks like that on my jackets from the make-up of all the chicks who keep throwing themselves at me. Usually buffs out.
I think it might be the waxy pencils they use to mark the hides so they know where to cut- like a tailor uses chalk.
I am with you Big J, plus stains from my blood and from the iron thrown .

No clue about the red stain but CXL can get this odd, foggy looking film appear on the surface. Like when you fog a mirror. I've had it happen on one jacket. Wasn't as pronounced as on your jacket but I'd say it's the same thing. Could easily wipe it off. I think it's the oil in the hide coming out or something.

It does look like wax or something leaching to the surface.
This sometimes happens when someone uses too much conditioner on a jacket. I've taken a clean soft cloth and rubbed/buffed it off. If that doesn't work, try a little Lexol or leather cleaner.
The red I'm not sure about, but if the cleaner doesn't remove it I'd use black polish on it or cover it with sharpie.
Luckily they appear to be on the inside.
Good luck!
Please report back.

Moodles

New in Town
Thank for the advice everyone.

I've tried washing it out with hot, soapy water just now and then a thoroughly buffing with a dry cloth. If anything, the blueness seems to be a lot more prominent when the collar is wet. I could upload photos where it's entirely normal and black, but then afterwards easily take a photo when it's quite clearly stained blue. It's quite unusual.

I think it might be the waxy pencils they use to mark the hides s.o they know where to cut- like a tailor uses chalk.

Haha, could easily be all the women

Mild soapy water, damp cloth, wipe clean. You can't hurt a jacket with water. I wipe stains off my jackets every week - mainly food.

Yeah, just tried now. If anything, when it is wet, the blueness is more apparent. I thoroughly soaked it and then buffed it dry and it looks black now, but we'll see how it goes as the blueness seems to appear when it's wetter.

The blue parts I could see almost looked like it had been scraped against a blue wall?

Like I say, I only got it a few days ago. No blue walls. It would also be quite hard to do that since the blueness is prominently on the inside of the collar.

can be metal reaction, do you wear somekind of metal neck chain or something, or maybe hang it on metal door knob or something? copper, brass, bronze would make red and blue stain

or if you dye your hair recently, with sweat the dye can do some reaction too since it contains ammonia and stuff.

haha nope, no bling chains or hair dye here. I always through the jacket on the floor or sometimes hang it on the chair of my chair, but never on a door knob as I read that because the jacket is quite heavy, this will make it sag?

In last photo, it's more likely whitening, which is bad.

I think the white you see is just a reflection as the photo was taken near a window.

I would talk to Holly or Ken,
they are great people and will sort it out with you.
Would not worry too much.

They are great. I emailed Holly and she referred me to Denny and Denny isn't sure what it is.
It does look like wax or something leaching to the surface.
This sometimes happens when someone uses too much conditioner on a jacket. I've taken a clean soft cloth and rubbed/buffed it off. If that doesn't work, try a little Lexol or leather cleaner.
The red I'm not sure about, but if the cleaner doesn't remove it I'd use black polish on it or cover it with sharpie.
Luckily they appear to be on the inside.
Good luck!
Please report back.

Maybe this is right because the blueness seems more prominent when the jacket is wet. I havn't touched the jacket with conditioner or anything like that as it is literally brand new. Do they do that at Aero with new jackets?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Avoid any conditioner. It won't need this for another 20 years. If the stains return what will you do? For the photos they look pretty minor; do they spoil the jacket or are you just curious what caused them?

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Thank for the advice everyone.

I've tried washing it out with hot, soapy water just now and then a thoroughly buffing with a dry cloth. If anything, the blueness seems to be a lot more prominent when the collar is wet. I could upload photos where it's entirely normal and black, but then afterwards easily take a photo when it's quite clearly stained blue. It's quite unusual.

Haha, could easily be all the women

Yeah, just tried now. If anything, when it is wet, the blueness is more apparent. I thoroughly soaked it and then buffed it dry and it looks black now, but we'll see how it goes as the blueness seems to appear when it's wetter.

Like I say, I only got it a few days ago. No blue walls. It would also be quite hard to do that since the blueness is prominently on the inside of the collar.

haha nope, no bling chains or hair dye here. I always through the jacket on the floor or sometimes hang it on the chair of my chair, but never on a door knob as I read that because the jacket is quite heavy, this will make it sag?

I think the white you see is just a reflection as the photo was taken near a window.

They are great. I emailed Holly and she referred me to Denny and Denny isn't sure what it is.

Maybe this is right because the blueness seems more prominent when the jacket is wet. I havn't touched the jacket with conditioner or anything like that as it is literally brand new. Do they do that at Aero with new jackets?
Ask for Ken and or Holly, Denny ...maybe new... surely not as experienced as Ken an Holly.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
^^^ +1

I doubt that anyone other than the op would even notice what appear to be minimal blemishes although might try to apply a small amount of matching shoe cream and wipe into the surface until no residue remains. Maybe the result of some glitch in the dyeing process but who knows? Personally if it were me I would ignore it and enjoy the jacket.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Denny is very experienced, he's Ken's son/Holly's brother.

Yes, they both grew up around the factory with Ken running it, and have both been working there full time since 2012. Holly handles the admin / contact side of things, while Denny manages the factory production.

Dunno, I can barely if at all see anything in those pics, and being leather, it's going to get good and beat up by wearing it.
But then, it's not mine, so you need to do what you think is right...

Just so I'm clear: I've seen these marks from too much conditioner. I'm recommending using leather cleaner once your jacket has dried out. The marks could be wax from the tanning. Warm the jacket (in sun or warm room) then buff with a cloth. Keep doing it as needed for a few months. It should stop. The cleaner (lexol/ saddle soap) will remove the wax while water will not. While your jacket is damp, I'd take the opportunity to start the break-in process by wearing it and shaping the collar ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy