Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Urban B-3

normanf

One of the Regulars
This seems to be an interesting variant on the B-3 in Japan, using tough goatskin leather with a faux sheepskin backing. Making the jacket as warm if not lighter than a traditional B-3.

rm-0210-2.jpg

normanf

One of the Regulars
I doubt it'll win many fans among traditionalists, but it does seem a practical option.

A traditional B-3 can be won be worn only a few times of the year and if you sit in it at temperatures above 30F, you start sweating. And while the traditionalists have a point, the reality is its heavy to move about in and it really isn't suited for any but the coldest winter climates. A lighter jacket would be useful for warmth in more temperate winters - and be more versatile.

Edward

Bartender
....or B-6s of much better quality..with no need of faux shearling...but lighter weight than B-3s.

I've always fancied the idea of a B6 with added horsehide panels, not unlike the arm panels on a B3.

Can't tell how warm the jqcket in OP is by looking at it, though I spend most of December and January (as well as part of November and February) in either a B3 or an Irvin; it's be hard, IMO, to find another jacket that is a prasctical outer coat for a longer period of the year. Of course, that's likely to vary based on the climate local to the wearer. My only regret about the so-called "bad" English Weather is that it's nowhere near as "bad" as people like to believe it is.

Well, I get enough use from a B3 here in California that it's worth owning. It doesn't have to be 30°f either. 40°s and even low 50°s I enjoy it.
But I'd love to get a D1 some day. Also with the HH arms, etc. Sheeps do rip easily. Like on my wife's rose bushes (trees) :eeek:

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Probably it's something that has to do with individual perception of cold.

Many times I've read of people, here, living in colder climates than mine, that "don't get use" from things I normally wear in the italian winter: without sweating, and with consistent layering underneath...

one of my israeli friends living here, e.g., has a very nice B3: he bought it in the USA; but I couldn't make him remember the brand (I guess Eastmann, but who knows).
He uses it here regularly, with the only problem of me being envious... and starting to wanting one badly!.

At the same time, in February or March, when we italians are all clad in parkas (or overcoats, if you are like me ;) ), you can see the occasional young tourist from northern Europe in shorts, so... :)

Anyway, if I need something lighter of a B3 but in the same style, I'd opt for a B6, too.

ciao!!

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This seems to be an interesting variant on the B-3 in Japan, using tough goatskin leather with a faux sheepskin backing. Making the jacket as warm if not lighter than a traditional B-3.

rm-0210-2.jpg

Interesting certainly, but it's not something I will be buying. An accurate B-3 repro or a B-6 would be the way to go IMO.

Yeah, nothing gets my goat (sorry) more than fashion jackets based on classic jackets like the WWII A2, B3, etc.
Just me. There are so many lovely designs that you can almost wear something year 'round even in Cali.

Edward

Bartender
Well, I get enough use from a B3 here in California that it's worth owning. It doesn't have to be 30°f either. 40°s and even low 50°s I enjoy it.
But I'd love to get a D1 some day. Also with the HH arms, etc. Sheeps do rip easily. Like on my wife's rose bushes (trees) :eeek:

After two years of wearing my LW B3, I picked up an ELC 42 pattern Irvin last year, and I did find myself being that much more wary with it, at least initially anyhow. It's significantly softer (which of course makes it lighter to wear - it's almost like wearing a nylon B15 in that respect), which did worry me about ripping it, especially on the elbows where it lacks the horsehide that the B3 usefully has. That said, I stopped being precious about it and just wore it, and while it feels "fragile" to me, I've never had a mishap in ordinary wearing.

Yeah, nothing gets my goat (sorry) more than fashion jackets based on classic jackets like the WWII A2, B3, etc.
Just me.

It's something I like to see, actually. Sure, it's not something I'd be likely to buy for myself, but if it means more of a classic look in the High Street I'm all for it. Also, there's always just a chance that someone who starts off with one of these will eventually get the bug and become interested in the repro market, much like most of us here who enjoy an A2 started out with something "inspired by" the design, like a Schott or whatever.

I'm not thinking of the Schott as much as D&G, Polo, etc. just me. Enjoy away :). If someone will pay $2k for a phony fashion "A2" then well, um, OK.

Edward

Bartender
Oh, well, when cost comes into it that's another matter. Personal taste in jacket style s personal taste; I'm more dumbfounded at the low quality some designer labels get away with selling for two fortunes. I'm in the wrong racket, I think - Barnum Clothing has a nice ring to it.... ;)

Oh, well, when cost comes into it that's another matter. Personal taste in jacket style s personal taste; I'm more dumbfounded at the low quality some designer labels get away with selling for two fortunes. I'm in the wrong racket, I think - Barnum Clothing has a nice ring to it.... ;)

lol that's more to the point. Junk made in China replicating a classic A2 for $2k. But that fashion world is full o' fools.

normanf

One of the Regulars
lol that's more to the point. Junk made in China replicating a classic A2 for $2k. But that fashion world is full o' fools.

For 2K Buzz Ricksons' makes accurate repro classic jackets. Not everything made in China is junk. There are some very nice Schott Jackets made in China on the Japan Internet.

For 2K Buzz Ricksons' makes accurate repro classic jackets. Not everything made in China is junk. There are some very nice Schott Jackets made in China on the Japan Internet.

Counter-point. Nowhere in my post did I state all jackets made in China are junk. Please don't look for something offensive in my statement. That's not the intent. Thank you.

Gene

Practically Family
normanf, don't know if you have checked out WPG's B-3, but it is accurate enough and lighter than originals. If they have one your size (and for around $300) it's a good option for you!

Here's mine!

SANY5215.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy