Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USB to RCA adapter for AM transmitter?

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I am hoping someone here can either tell me how to do this or direst me to someone who can. I would like to make a USB to RCA plug adapter so that I can plug my AM transmitter into my computer/phone and listen to period music. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mike

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You need strictly analog audio for the transmitter input, they won't take any kind of a digital signal -- which means, if there isn't an analog headphone/speaker jack on the device playing the music, you'll need some kind of converter box. A straight connector-to-connector cable won't work.

Do modern computers not come with analog audio jacks? I'm running my transmitters off a pair of secondhand Mac Minis from about ten years ago, and both of these have headphone jacks putting out analog audio.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Frunobulax, if I can buy one I will I have not check any stores yet as I did not think they were made but apparently they are.

LizzieMaine, my 2009 imac has just USB ports. The transmitter runs off my stereo system and my tv when i had it hooked up to Sirius XM. I will give it a try and see what happens and will report back.

Ingineer that is what I am looking for. I use the transmitter to play FM/CD/satellite music on my AM console radios.

Thanks,

Mike

LizzieMaine

Bartender
LizzieMaine, my 2009 imac has just USB ports. The transmitter runs off my stereo system and my tv when i had it hooked up to Sirius XM. I will give it a try and see what happens and will report back.

One more reason not to buy a new, or recent, computer, I guess. Nuts to Steve Jobs and everything he stood for.

What kind of transmitter do you have? If it's an SSTRANS, it won't take any kind of a digital signal unless it's converted first to analog.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You need a digital-to-analog audio converter box. There are a lot of digital-to-analog converters that take the digital signal from a TOSLINK cable and output analog to RCA jacks, but if you don't have a TOSLINK port on your computer, that isn't going to work for you.

Probably your best bet is to find a USB headphone adapter, which incorporates a digital-to-analog converter. You will then need a cable with a 1/8" stereo mini plug on one end and RCA plugs on the other -- this you can get at any Radio Shack.

Plug the adapter into your USB, and see if the computer recognizes it -- you may need to go to the Sound preferences panel and select it manually. Then run the cord from the headphone jack on the adapter to the transmitter. You will need to mess with your volume controls and the gain control on the transmitter to get the best signal level.

Frunobulax, if I can buy one I will I have not check any stores yet as I did not think they were made but apparently they are.

Thanks,

Mike

And I didn't mean to be flippant, Mike. I hope it didn't come off that way. I don't think i fully understood your challenge, after reading through the other responses. I'm an engineer, and as it was explained to me in my Freshman year in college, we're lazy. Because we're always trying to find easier ways to do things.

ingineer

One Too Many
Ok this is a little clearer, digital to analog, another cheap sound card should work.
i have used these things in the past to run digital fldigi to my 100 watt HF radio, but QRP
dang, the cables are always the most money, and u have to set up the usb as the new sound out put.
This is why i almost always build my computers, Apple not my cup of tea, Linux!!

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=zg_bs_3015427011_1
why did the forum change my link?
here
http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=zg_bs_3015427011_1

Last edited:
I'm still a little unclear on what you're trying to do. If it's to run an analog signal to your computer, there are cables/adaptors that will let you do that. If it's to play a digital signal such as from your computer or iPod or phone through an analog device, you can certainly do that too. It might require special software, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner