Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USS Spearfish auction haul

dit dah

One of the Regulars
I've taken to frequenting the small rural weekly auction near my home and it has already thrown up some interesting finds. A few days ago I successfully bid on a huge quantity of personal items once belonging to a Submariner who served aboard USS Spearfish during WW2, Ralph Lansing Ward. Ralph must have been sentimental, a collector, and this is a first glance inventory of what the lot contained:

Cigarettes (Double Ace & Klapa)
Matches
Boxed soap
Safety razor & blade box
Pebbles, shells & crab leg (pres. collected on travels)
Australian boomerang & other souvenirs (Spearfish was in AUS in '42)
Luggage labels: Honolulu
Pacific Fleet tickets etc
Diving mask & anti fog liguid
Pencils & pens
3 Leather wallets full of adresses (mostly girls!!)
Record catalogues
Atlas
Poetry book
Ships laundry wrapper: Pearl Harbour
US Navy tickets & receipts
Clothes, shirts/ tie/ socks & belt (all soiled)
Tin of childhood treasures:
Photo booth photos
Lipsticks
Jewellery
Badges
Diary 1934
Framed pictures of “Mary”
“Stand Easy” magazine
“Prendegast” silent service magazine
Humorous drinking certificate Honolulu
Australian newspapers & magazines from '42
USS Spearfish radio log, Press News, typed (many sheets) with Japanese & international war news
Leave papers
Humorous summons for onboard “court” hearing
Uniform cloth badges
Navy training manual
Photos
Greetings cards
Song books
Bible (metal heart shield type)
Notebooks
USS Spearfish stationary
Hand painted Spearfish cigarette tin

1000 letters, including telegrams, hand painted cards, all sent to Ralph whilst on service and during his time in the Navy hospital.

I'm quite aghast at the sheer quantity of items, especially the letters. I'm not entirely what to do with it. I may try and trace the family and give them the chance of having it back (It was bought by the English seller at an auction in the US). I am wondering if it may be of interest to a museum. There's possibly a book in the letters given the quantity.

It's a staggering collection and always an emotional experience to handle the artifacts of another's life. Many of the letters are bundled in very well tied string which I'm loathed to cut.

I'm only at the start of researching Ralph and his travels, but thought it might capture the interest and imagination of others on here.

I will try and photograph the haul soon.

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
In the 1960's, my father served aboard USS Fulton, a submarine tender that was stationed in Australia during WWII. Given Spearfish's postings, she was almost certainly assigned to Fulton's for service. I'm sure you've had no opportunity to read through that collection yet, but I'm curious to see if there's any mention of the Fulton in there?

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the responses chaps, great to see the boat on those links. The letters are to Ralph of course so do not really mention the boat or it's missions. There are a lot from other serviceman to Ralph during his stay in the Navy hospital but it's mostly gossip.

No sign of Ann in there, or the USS Fulton I'm afraid, although it (Fulton not Ann) might be mentioned in those News sheets.

Foolishly I'm still at a bit of a loss as to how to post photos on here, if anyone can offer a idiot's guide I'll try and get these great stuff snapped.

mrmustach

New in Town
Dit Dah,

Would you still have anything from the USS Spearfish? My grandfather CB (Cova Burt) Smith served on the Spearfish from 1942-1945. He is celebrating his 90th birthday in January and we are trying to collect things about his life. Please let me know.

Here is an article about my grandfather which mentions his time in the service, along with his time as a iconic croquet player.

http://www.croquetworld.com/People/cbsmith.asp

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
WWII SubVets disbanded this year. They merged with United States Sub Vetrans Inc (USSVI). There are still a few WWII subvets that can share inside details of the symbolism in some of the items that were kept and a lot of the old traditions of the Silent Service still live on today so I have cold war versions of some of the paperwork you mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran