Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson AR3

Damo

A-List Customer
Hello guys,

I recently came across a new motorcycle store in town. They carry a couple of Vanson leather jackets, I tried on the AR3 in a size 42. For those who don't know it comes with shoulder, forearm/elbow protection.

I'm really on the fence here if I should buy it. It has the classic cafe racer style that I really like and the armour is hidden really well. I'm not a huge fan of how far the shoulder gussets run down the back (side view pick). I prefer a short gusset. Also I have a Schott 141 which looks quite similar. I do think the AR3 fits better and is a better motorcycle jacket with the armour. Ideally I would prefer the jacket to be a touch more fitted around the waist but it is pretty close.

I prefer the look of a single back piece over a split back but I think the back of this AR3 looks quite nice. I'm wearing just a tee shirt under it and I don't think I could get another layer under it but I'm okay with that.

Anyways I was wondering what you guys think of the jacket and the fit. Ultimately I know the decision to buy or not is on me but I thought it would be nice to hear some thoughts on it.

Thanks

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If it were me I'd want an inch added to the sleeves and two to the body length. But this cropped look appeals to some.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Fit looks perfect for riding, as long as the sleeves seemed ok when you reached forward into your preferred riding position. The model A, which this is based on, is a wonderfully designed moto jacket.

My favorite jacket ever! I have an AR2 (same jacket just without the armour) and it fits me very much the same, albeit mine does appear a tiny bit more fitted around the waist, for some reason.
Anyway, what PG said, it's a perfect fit IMO and yeah - as far as I am concerned, it's the best designed riding jacket I've ever had, with every feature serving its purpose perfectly. You may not be a fan of the full action back but it really makes hell of a difference on a bike. This is why the sleeves aren't overly long, as the action back makes sure they stay in place. And also, the sleeves are rotated forward so the length won't get affected by the position in which you ride.
About the waist, don't know if you've noticed but the jacket is a little bit flared around the bottom hem, to prevent stress on the zipper, so maybe that's what's giving you the impression that it's not fitted enough? And make no mistake people, at 27" back length, this is by no means a short jacket. It's shorter at the front for the obvious reasons, but the back is more than sufficiently long. It's just a very dedicated jacket for riding, much more so than any other CR on the market I'd say.

wes-siler1.jpg

But perhaps you'd ought to try the Model B, as well, just to make sure? It's a very similar looking jacket, in general, just a little bit tamer on the riding side. :)

If it were me I'd want an inch added to the sleeves and two to the body length. But this cropped look appeals to some.

I agree. The sleeves would definitely ride up too short for me when reaching for the handle bars. I also prefer a longer body length in a MC jacket or I'd feel like I was wearing my little brothers...although the high fashion runway modelers seem to like them that way....;)
HD

pawineguy

One Too Many
On a more serious note, Damo is clearly wearing fairly low rise jeans, which makes a big difference. Also, since this is an armored jacket I assume he's going to wear it only the bike where that short front is MUCH more comfortable, IMO.

Damo

A-List Customer
Guys, thx for the replies.

I do prefer my jacket length to just cover up my belt and yes I wear low rise jeans. This is about an inch away from doing that. The sleeve length actually is perfect for me. As Monitor mentioned the sleeves don't ride up at all with my arms in a riding position and they are not too long for off the bike wear.

I am looking for something on and off the bike. This AR3 was something that I happened to come across. It's very rare for me to come across a couple of Vanson 's in real life. Of course I had to try them on and I wish this was possible for all jackets. Since the riding season is a few months away I will pass on this jacket for now since it is not perfect.

Right now I really seem to fancy a California Highway Patrol. I'm speaking with Constatine from Vanson about one in dark brown or octagon. It would be a size 40 which is pretty much identical to the measurements of this 42 AR3. Thinking about adding a fur collar to it but I'm trying to keep the cost down so I'm not sure if it's worth it and I also don't know what the collar would look like without the fur on it. Don't know if having the option to wear a fur collar adds extra snaps or not.

I think the CAlifornia highway patrol would be great for on the bike cause when zipped up there is a double layer of leather around the chest area. I also really like the look of it for off the bike as well. Anyways thanks again for everyone's input, much appreciated as you guys really know your shhhh about jackets!

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Hey Damo, was it you I talked about this jacket some time ago via msgs? Anyway, I ordered the AR3 directly from Vanson last summer (about a year and half ago) when it first came up. Liked what I saw mostly, but wasn't sure about the wide, long "batwing" shoulder gussets. Returned it to Vanson saying I would've kept the jacket if it had come with Model-B type smaller shoulder gussets. A lady from Vanson promptly phoned me back and said they could re-work the jacket for such a shoulder if I wanted for a minimal cost (forgot how much). I agreed, but then there were a few hiccups, and Vanson finally made me a new custom jacket with slightly different leather than their regular comp. weight. It's now an AR3 with "America" stripes and smaller shoulder gussets. It's the usual Vanson thick, stiff and heavy and with the armour pads in, makes the jacket feel & look even more stiff & robot-like. So, until I manage to break it in sufficiently, I've decided to ditch the pads and just wear the jacket with my Knox armoured undershirt - I know, if I was gonna do this, I might as well have gotten a regular Model B or America jacket, but when I ordered it I was looking for a traditional Vanson look with the option of armor attached! Options options! So there ya go, my experience with the AR3 as of now :)

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great plan..an..armored shirt, love that AR3 style...looking to have something similar made CR wise that will be fitted but still allow for Knox shirt underneath giving me on and off M-Cycle options :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24