Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Chopper Fit Pics

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! I'm surprised by the amount of movement I have in it, given the tightness. With everything I'd read about the comp weight leather, it's more supple than anticipated. It feels less stiff than a CXL Steerhide Schott I have. Looking forward to breaking it in fully.

I read a post on here from Carrie @ Thurston Bros about the comp weight leather and how it can change noticeably from batch to batch. I haven't handled another one for comparison, but I feel like I lucked out with this one. I'm curious what characteristics yours has that you find less desirable than older batches of comp weight you've handled?

Comp weight for sure is much more pliable than CXL Horse or Steer. The Chopper just has so much material (padding on shoulders and elbows; massive reinforcement at the Kidney panel) that this renders it pretty massive. This is exactly what you want with this model, of course.

Different batches of Comp weight... An issue many times discussed here, and I cannot really comment on how the older stuff handles (never saw it in the flesh), but “my” batch doesn’t really age at all. The whole look and feel is rather “plasticky” or resembles vinyl, while pictures of older batches indicate a nice development into a dull, rich optic.
The way the leather ages (or refuses to) reminds me of the horsehide that is used by Lewis Leathers. There are better and worse batches, but overall the horsehide is the only think I don’t really like with LL.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
Ah yes, I know what you mean about all the material on the Chopper. It's definitely massive in that regard. It's solid, but unrefined. I noticed the leather really builds up on sections where it's folded over on itself, as if they didn't shave down the edges to make it thinner where folded (I forget what the term is for this process). Somehow this adds to the overall appeal for me though. It's utilitarian. A beast.

I hear what you're saying about the aging and overall plastic feel. It doesn't exactly have a great handfeel. Time will tell how mine ages (if at all), but I have plenty of other jackets that are developing nicely, so I'm not too worried about it with this one.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
This is from Carrie at Thurston Bros, regarding the difference in comp weight hides:

Carrie said:
The "new" Vanson Comp Weight people are talking about isn't all that new in the context of Vanson's leather history. Vanson's old tannery closed and they found a new tannery that could make their Comp Weight recipe (tanning, finishing, thickness, etc.). Some customers may not like the current version of this leather, but this is something we've experienced multiple times in the 13 years we've been selling Vanson jackets. Even with the same tannery, we saw variety in the grain, texture and finish of Comp Weight. The leather would change a little almost every year...some years we liked better than others, but the actual quality of the leather was always consistent with Vanson's specs. The "new" leather is different from the last batch that came out of the old tannery, but it is quite similar to some Comp Weight batches from from the old tannery about 7-8 years ago. In short, if you've had a number of Vanson jackets made in the last 30-40 years, the Comp Weight leather on each one will feel and look a little different!

Actually, the entire thread where I sourced that from may be a good read. This thread, a year later in 2019, was also helpful reading when I bought my CHP2 secondhand. In general, people have experienced both good and bad batches, but the good experiences seem to far outweigh the bad. Vanson has also had recent struggles with their tanneries that are outside of their control (one shut down due to a fire, another was unable to stay in business after lockdowns, I think), so that likely has increased the difference in hides, although their leather isn't expected to be identical anyway.

Also, fit looks really good!

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
This is from Carrie at Thurston Bros, regarding the difference in comp weight hides:

Actually, the entire thread where I sourced that from may be a good read. This thread, a year later in 2019, was also helpful reading when I bought my CHP2 secondhand. In general, people have experienced both good and bad batches, but the good experiences seem to far outweigh the bad. Vanson has also had recent struggles with their tanneries that are outside of their control (one shut down due to a fire, another was unable to stay in business after lockdowns, I think), so that likely has increased the difference in hides, although their leather isn't expected to be identical anyway.

Also, fit looks really good!
Thanks! I have read through the first thread you linked and it was indeed helpful. The one from 2019 is new to me though. I'll check it out. Much appreciated.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Wonder why the Competition weight leather seems to be the only one affected by the change of tanneries. The X and Z the Badallasi and Bainbridge seem to remain the Same..
Chopper looks great ....

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
Wonder why the Competition weight leather seems to be the only one affected by the change of tanneries. The X and Z the Badallasi and Bainbridge seem to remain the Same..
Chopper looks great ....
The bainbridge and badalassi are not Vanson house leathers. I believe they are sourced by Thurston and then Vanson makes them. Vanson’s other leathers like x and z are sourced directly by them. I don’t know though if they source them all from different tanneries or the same one? The fire and then Covid closure may have affected one leather, all the leathers, that part I’m not sure about.

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I am sure it´s obvious, but just to be on the safe side: I am by no means intending to badmouth Vanson or the Chopper (let alone the specific jacket in this thread). It´s a beast of a jacket, and I have put mine to much use and abuse. In terms of leather, I am talking strictly personal preferences. (Like: A Chopper in Horween CXL Steerhide...;)).

Edward

Bartender
Very nice. Of the more modern styles Vanson offer, the Chopper is the one that really catches my eye. It has something of a "Lewis SuperMonza on Steroids" look to it imo. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a little of the Lewis inspiration there; they have another model that is very clearly influenced by the Bronx.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
I am sure it´s obvious, but just to be on the safe side: I am by no means intending to badmouth Vanson or the Chopper (let alone the specific jacket in this thread). It´s a beast of a jacket, and I have put mine to much use and abuse. In terms of leather, I am talking strictly personal preferences. (Like: A Chopper in Horween CXL Steerhide...;)).
Oh man, I’d trade it in for a Chopper in CXL Steerhide in a heartbeat. Then again, I don’t think I’d be able to move in it after that. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot