Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Enfield in Cordovan Horsehide - pics!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Hey all -

Last week I was surfing the web, and I came upon a jacket that sorely tempted me. My longsuffering wife rolled her eyes, and reminded me that I already have several very nice (read: expensive) jackets, but I couldn't resist.

I e-mailed the seller a few times, and the meausurements sounded good, so I decided to buy it. It's a horsehide Vanson Enfield, about four years old, and the seller stated it was only worn a handful of times. From the condition, I am inclined to believe him - the jacket looks and feels almost brand new.

The color was described as cordovan, and I haven't got much experience with this color. I am inclined to call it oxlblood - it is a gorgeous reddish brown color, not like russset brown, but more like brown mixed with a red wine color. It's striking, especially in the sunlight. I think it wears pretty much like a brown jacket, but has a unique twist.

The leather is soft and supple, and I can move around quite easily in it. It is nothing like the thin, crinkly Horsehide that I have seen on recent Vansons - in fact it reminds me a lot of their "competition weight" cowhide. The jacket is relatively light in weight, much lighter than my FQHH Aero ACE HAlf Belt.

The fit is very good - it's a size 44, and I would say it's pretty true to size. It is a little more full in cut than my Vanson Model B was. On the other hand, it's significantly trimmer than my Aero Half Belt in size 44. I would prefer a little more room across the shoulders - my own shoulders pretty much fill it all the way across. However, it's not restrictive, so I might think of it as more of a "vintage style" cut. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

The sleeve length is just about 0.5" - 1" shorter than I prefer - I have gorilla arms, so this is almost always my hangup with jackets and shirts. The sleeves measure 26.5" from shoulder seam to cuff, so I think if the shoulders were an inch or so wider, the sleeve length would be perfect. For what it's worth, I can live with the sleeve length (the reason I finally sold my Model B) and by some miracle the sleeves don't ride up much when I drive. I am conidering sending it to Insurrection Leathers to see if they can let out the sleeves a bit (Vanson rolls the cuff under about 1.5" rather than cutting it off, so I am thinking this might be possible.

They say that the third time's the charm, and I think my third Vanson might be the one I actually keep. Enjoy the pics! They really don't do the color justice.

By the way - I know the jeans I'm wearing look like crap - I was doing chores around the house, and didn't think to change them before we took the pics. So sorry beforehand to all the high-end selvedge denim guys out there :)

Unzipped with a heavy flannel shirt
VansonEnfieldCordovanHorsehide01.jpg

Unzipped Front, Back, and Side
VansonEnfieldCordovanHorsehide02.jpg

Zipped Front
VansonEnfieldCordovanHorsehide03.jpg

Zipped Back
VansonEnfieldCordovanHorsehide04.jpg

VansonEnfieldCordovanHorsehide05.jpg

VansonEnfieldCordovanHorsehide06.jpg

VansonEnfieldCordovanHorsehide07.jpg

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi Jimmer, nice jacket!

I had have two Vanson horsehide jackets and the leather was amazing. But same problem too short in the arms and too wide in the shoulders. Mine were Comets and this tyoe of jacket has to fit snug. Your Enfield looks fine from my point of view.

Cheers

Olli

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I love it! The details of the bi-swing back are much nicer than usual and even the side cinches are special. Great color too and I wouldn't mind about the sleeve's length. If they get any longer, the jacket's body might seem too short in proportion.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Great color too and I wouldn't mind about the sleeve's length.

I am with eClairvaux on this matter. The sleeves look perfect to me! They are not even on the shorter side but look ideal in length to me. You should leave them as the are. The cuffs might be simply turned in with no top stitching, but I am sure that there is a certain amount of glue involved that keeps the folded edge flat and sharp. Even if the internal cuff stitching can be opened and the sleeve slightly lengthened you will need a new sleeve lining and the old folded edge WILL show on the outside of the sleeve

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
It looks terrible on you...I will be gald to do you a favor and take off your hands. Just kidding, I have the same exact one it is stout! Ur lucky to get it from what I heard they dont make em in HH anymore.

Peacoat

Bartender
I'll chime in to say it is a good fit and a great color. The arms look just right to me. I also have long arms and am always sensitive to sleeves that are a bit short, but yours do just fine. A good grab.

aball

New in Town
Ah yes, that's the one

I mulled over this one for a couple days before you bought it. If I didn't already have a horsehide Enfield in size 44, I would have bought this one. Mine is black. I love your color though. I don’t consider it Cordovan. Vanson calls it Reddish Tan and to me Cordovan has a bit more purple in it, just like it does at Aero. My 44 fit me perfectly at first but as it broke in, it became a good bit looser. Now I feel it fits best over a sweater so I’m on the prowl for a 42. But my black 44 is not for sale. :)

Also in case you wanted to know, there was a change in the zippers at Vanson and the one you have is new version. They used to use the expensive Swiss Riri zippers that the seller mentioned, but now they’ve switched to the Lenzips they use on all the others. In a way that isn’t a bad thing because the Riri zippers are super stiff and don’t bend much. The first few months I had mine, I had to unzip it so I could sit down without it hitting me in the face!

Anyway, you made a great buy. The best way I’ve found to quickly break them in is to use distilled water in a little spray bottle, lightly spray one part at a time and massage each part with your hands. Oil is very tricky to use and I find water really works just as well without the risks.

Don’t worry about the tightness in the shoulders – it will stretch as you wear it and end up fitting perfectly. I would DEFINITELY NOT get it altered before breaking it in. When the shoulders loosen up, the sleeves will be longer. Mine changed more than my other Vansons. Be patient and let it do its thing first.

Arthur

Last edited:

Mad w/o power

New in Town
That's interesting, I knew Vanson put the breaks on horsehide for a while, due to some legal conflict with Horween, then subsequently had problems sourcing horse hides. I wonder who's supplying them...

Desert Rider

One of the Regulars
CodeRed,

Any chance you could show some pics of your Enfield?? I'm curious as to whether yours is the same color as Jimmer's since I now own Jimmer's.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Color me lucky! This beautiful jacket is mine now- and it's spectacular! Stunning HH and color.

A very rare get in a Vanson Enfield these days as most now are black or brown cow.

Last edited:

morrison2951

Practically Family
Thanks! I spend most of my time now on FL and our Classifieds- I might as well just close out my fleabay account. Ha ha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner