Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Model F

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
I have several Vanson and find they’re very functional ( riding)
As for style / cut I think pretty much 5/10. This is a made for purpose brand imo. The Langlitz for example compared to the Vanson hardcore or other Vanson looks much sharper. Just my experience.
( the back of Vanson always let them down somehow?)

Is standard Chopper made of X? I tried one on and it was insanely stiff!

I believe it is but would confirm with Vanson. But yes. It molds like crazy and it’s break in from a visual standpoint...I like.

So are you saying that x is a heavy one and z is lighter, is that right? If z 150 is midweight I'd lbe interested to know more about it

I would confirm with Vanson but I believe z is a lighter (still heavy though) comp weight. Same feel etc. Never seen it in person. My bet, lighter than comp weight but heavier than their Firenze stuff.

The x is lighter than comp weight and different.

I have several Vanson and find they’re very functional ( riding)
As for style / cut I think pretty much 5/10. This is a made for purpose brand imo. The Langlitz for example compared to the Vanson hardcore or other Vanson looks much sharper. Just my experience.
( the back of Vanson always let them down somehow?)

While I disagree I get where you are coming from on jackets like the Hardcore. Made for riding. Have you checked out the back of a Vanson Commando or Chopper? May be more your all-around style (mine too).

Colin G

One Too Many
This thread kind of deviated fast away from the Model F. I have a brown competition weight Vanson Model F showing up today so I guess I'll see if I like it or if it goes back and I buy a Thedi shawl collar instead for an everyday type jacket.

I can report back with any comments.

Hh121

Banned
This thread kind of deviated fast away from the Model F. I have a brown competition weight Vanson Model F showing up today so I guess I'll see if I like it or if it goes back and I buy a Thedi shawl collar instead for an everyday type jacket.

I can report back with any comments.

Thanks, is it from Vanson or Thurston bros?

Colin G

One Too Many
Thurston Bros. Will be a test fit jacket that I have to send back.

I want Model J sleeves, remove a chest pocket maybe and switch the lining to blue plaid.

We'll see how it fits and if I will like it to finalize the order and get the mods I want.

Colin G

One Too Many
The jacket arrived yesterday and as soon as I tried it on and lifted my arms up, I knew immediately this jacket is not for me.

Arm holes are too low and the jacket is a bit wide across the pit t- pit area. I lifted my arms slightly, how they would be if I was riding my motorcycle and the shoulders pull right up near my ears. If you hold your arms out straight same thing. basically this jacket was designed for someone who never moves or raises their arms.

Not cool. This is the reason I sold a Schott 689H. I am a mobile guy and actually do things wearing a leather jacket like ride a motorcycle, lift things, move around and raise my arms over my head to reach something ect. You know, every day type things. I need a jacket to move with me, not fight every move.

I did notice what many of you mentioned. The chest pockets are way too low. The competition weight leather also feels thinner than on my 12-year-old Model A which feels thicker and heavier.

This jacket is going back today. Hopefully that Thedi shawl collar will fit right or I do this dance all over again. Under arm fit and ease of movement are crucial for me.

Hh121

Banned
The jacket arrived yesterday and as soon as I tried it on and lifted my arms up, I knew immediately this jacket is not for me.

Arm holes are too low and the jacket is a bit wide across the pit t- pit area. I lifted my arms slightly, how they would be if I was riding my motorcycle and the shoulders pull right up near my ears. If you hold your arms out straight same thing. basically this jacket was designed for someone who never moves or raises their arms.

Not cool. This is the reason I sold a Schott 689H. I am a mobile guy and actually do things wearing a leather jacket like ride a motorcycle, lift things, move around and raise my arms over my head to reach something ect. You know, every day type things. I need a jacket to move with me, not fight every move.

I did notice what many of you mentioned. The chest pockets are way too low. The competition weight leather also feels thinner than on my 12-year-old Model A which feels thicker and heavier.

This jacket is going back today. Hopefully that Thedi shawl collar will fit right or I do this dance all over again. Under arm fit and ease of movement are crucial for me.

Well, I hope you could at least post a picture to show the leather

The brown CW leather is not the black CW. They are very different leathers.

Colin G

One Too Many
I did not snap pictures. It came off soon after trying it on so I immediately boxed it back up and took it back to the post office.

The brown leather is nice and felt pretty soft right out of the box. It took months of wearing to make my Model A feel somewhat close to that way. The Model F was actually softer and felt more broken in than my older Model A. The brown must be softer and maybe thinner than the black competition weight.

I had a new, black Model J show up last week that I sent back because it was too large. That leather felt thick and stiffer than the brown for sure. More like my Model A, which I just sold last night on ebay.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Interesting observations you made on the model F, exact opposite of my experience with all my Vansons, especially the Model A which is the same pattern as the Model F. I guess the jacket was just way too large for you?

Colin G

One Too Many
The Model F and A are not the same pattern and fit differently. I could tell immediately the two jackets do not share the same pattern.

To confirm, I called just called Vanson about 3 minutes ago, spoke to a pattern maker and I asked whether or not the A and F share the same pattern and she immediately said no.

Model A is its own thing she said. The Model F however, shares the same pattern as the Model B and D. Which is too bad, since I was eying up the Model D but it is now off the list.

I'd love something that fit like the A but with a normal shirt style collar. I am buying another model A in a size 40 for riding my motorcycle, but right now I am after an every day jacket.

Last edited:

Colin G

One Too Many
Look at the Aero Sheene, or Vanson Enfield.

The Enfield is a boxier cut I think going off of Vanson's description on their site but I should call and ask. I have looked at it but figured it may be too boxy for me.

The Sheene also has no bi-swing back which I really want although that Thedi I just ordered has no bi-swing but there is something about those shawl collar jackets I really like so I have to try one.

I guess with Aero, anything is possible. I could probably order a Sheen with a bi-swing back.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
The Enfield is a boxier cut I think going off of Vanson's description on their site but I should call and ask. I have looked at it but figured it may be too boxy for me.

The Sheene also has no bi-swing back which I really want although that Thedi I just ordered has no bi-swing but there is something about those shawl collar jackets I really like so I have to try one.

I guess with Aero, anything is possible. I could probably order a Sheen with a bi-swing back.

I thought the Enfield was based on the Model A body, but with a dress collar...

And yes, Aero can do an action back/bi-swing back/shoulder gussets for the Sheene.

Colin G

One Too Many
I called Vanson to inquire about Enfield vs Model A being based upon the same pattern. One of the pattern makers said it is based off a model B so not the same.

Once again, they told me the Model A is unique. They did say they could add a shirt style collar to the A so that maybe the route I will take.

IXL

One Too Many
I guess I'm lucky that the Model B style fits me well. I've had no problems, other than the usual stiff-as-all-git-out leather that needs breaking in. I do think a Thedi shawl collar would be a great jacket to have, though.
Good luck!

Colin G

One Too Many
Thanks. I need luck right now. Finding a leather jacket that fits properly is starting to be a pain but it will sort it's self out.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
There seems to be some variation with Vanson’s sizing. I had a Model A in 44 that fitted me well, a Model B in in 42 that was slightly too tight and an Enfield in 42 that fits me well (I’m keeping that one).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ