Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson time frame

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
I guy I work with asked me about my cycle jacket last week and where he could buy one. I said he would probably need to order it from Vanson. This guy doesn't use a computer much so I emailed them and asked if they would make their CHP jacket in black horsehide (thats what he wants) and about how long of a wait for delivery. I also asked if it would be made in the US or El Salivador for my own curiosity
I got a reply the very next day from Bryan at Vanson:

The Chp is still available and it will be made in Mass. We are no longer
producing in El Salvador.
We aren't doing any horsehide anymore and wait time would be 5-7 months-we are extremely back logged right now.

Anyway I have always liked Vanson's Jackets and It seems like they must be doing well if their back logged. I had, at one time several of their jackets including a Horsehide Enfield, the nicest jacket I ever owned. The guy at work really wants horsehide so I told him about the Aero Indian Ranger although I think the price scared him a little bit.

This is the Horsehide Enfield that I let get away:

vh2t.jpg

Agreed - beautiful jacket and that was one of life's mistakes for sure. You look like HoosierDaddy's brother! You already got two guys - just a couple shy of a gang, er, club!
That is one nice jacket...

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Beautiful jacket Pushrod. Sorry to hear you don't have it any longer. From what I hear, the Enfield in horse was kinda rare.

What did Vanson call that color?

Regards,
coffee

Ya know, I used to know but it escapes me now. I remember at the time they had three color options, black with a polished finish and two shades of brown oil pressed finish one dark brown and the other this shade. It was like a suit of armor, weighted a ton and much thicker hide than the Areo horsehide jackets I had at the time

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Agreed - beautiful jacket and that was one of life's mistakes for sure. You look like HoosierDaddy's brother! You already got two guys - just a couple shy of a gang, er, club!

Yeah it was good one all right. but I'm happy with the CHP I now have and don't plan on letting it slip through my fingers like that one.

Yeah it was good one all right. but I'm happy with the CHP I now have and don't plan on letting it slip through my fingers like that one.
My wife and some here give me grief for being indecisive and letting a few things get away...Now, I overcompensate by buying everything lol

too much coffee

Practically Family

Totaly agree about the look a like with HD.....even the stance for the pic, same as HD. Both of 'em look like they're ready to open up a can of whoop butte, sorry I meant butt.

And they both had Enfield Horsehides!

coffee

IXL

One Too Many
I just checked the Vanson website and it still states that products are made both domestically and in El Salvador.
Last Oct., before I found Insurrection Leather, I ordered a jacket directly from Vanson and it only arrived this past April. I was quite surprised to find that it actually WAS made in the U.S. In late Oct. or early Nov. of last year I purchased a Vanson jacket from Insurrection. This particular jacket was made in El Salvador but I do believe that if one examined both jackets, no difference in the quality could be found. The only indication is the label itself. Both jackets are terrific.
My next Vanson purchase will be through Insurrection. It is just much easier to let them deal with Vanson.

Not made in El Salvador any longer??!! I find that hard to believe. Vanson seems to have put a lot of work into getting the site up and running..and, for lack of a better word, "defending" their decision to open a plant outside of the US>

Re; time frame:
I will never purchase another Vanson that is not "off the shelf" that I can't actually hold in my hands and walk to the check out.

About a year and a half ago I ordered one of their standard Cafe Racer designs directly from Vanson during their "VanBucks" promotional. Standard fit. Asked for Walnut Brown, which was recommended to me by the person I was in contact with at Vanson, and which they offered.
I believe they said it would be done in approx 3-4 months.
I received it over a year later after many emails/phone calls.
Turns out between having to wait for them to fill large Japanese orders, their running into shortages of leather, finding out they were not offering that color any longer (and neglecting to contact me to tell me that and see what other color I wanted in it's place), finally being told the jacket was "1/3rd done"...but with still no delivery for several months thereafter... my order basically got lost in their system.

Last edited:

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I really don't know about the El Salvador deal. I'm only going by by the email responce from Bryan Povar of Vanson. Phone
508-678-2000 x126

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Good lord: that Enfield is magnificent. Talk about letting a good one get away. I think that jacket is the quintessential example. It looked great on you, as well. Bravo to the smart man who snagged it.

Oh well. I would pay quite a bit for a Vanson horsehide used, either in black or russet. I have heard that Vanson quit making them due to very light bleeding, which is fairly standard. In fact, I've heard that the Horsehide Vanson bled less than the Aeros of today.

The rumor in the grapevine has it that a very famous Italian car manufacturer sued Vanson due to bleeding on a large order that manufacturer placed, and the headache of an international law suit was the last straw for Vanson. The company cancelled all leather production.

If that rumor is true. . . . then all I can say to that overly litigious Italian car manufacturer is: "Go suck on a tailpipe. Inhale monoxide and choke on it."

We want our horsehide Vansons back!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot