Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson USA

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
I thought Vanson made all of their jackets in the United States in Boston Mass. I just bought a Comet model from a motorcycle repair shop in northern NJ. It was a small shop in a semi-remote part of NJ. He said he'd had it a while it was new old stock. The label says "Vanson Boston Mass" "Made in U.S.A." It has a blue cotton plaid lining. In looking at an ebay auction, I see a new Vanson Comet with a black rayon lining and the label says "Vanson Fall River Mass" and under the size tag it looks like a tag that might say "made in El Salvidor" it's hard to see. Are there foreign made versions or could this be a copy?
comet014.jpg

fallriver.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, Vanson has now set up a factory in El Salvador. That facility is in addition to the original factory. They go to great lengths to explain that quality control is just as good down there as it is up here, and that one of their top people is always supervising the operation down there. Evidently that job rotates among the employees.

I got the feeling that this move was necessary in order to be competitive due to the high costs of labor in this country. Where have I heard that before?

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
Yes, Vanson has now set up a factory in El Salvador. That facility is in addition to the original factory. They go to great lengths to explain that quality control is just as good down there as it is up here, and that one of their top people is always supervising the operation down there. Evidently that job rotates among the employees.

I got the feeling that this move was necessary in order to be competitive due to the high costs of labor in this country. Where have I heard that before?
Oh, I hadn't heard that, well, I guess nothing stays the same.

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
rmrdaddy said:
:eek:fftopic:
Man Pushrod, you are on a tear with new jackets, no?
LOL, Se, I'm gonna hafta thin out the herd. I'm gonna move south and I have too much stuff.:)

South

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:

Peacoat,

Do you know if the Enfields are made in El Salvador?

I had assumed their jackets were made in the US when I ordered mine...

theman

Vendor
Vanson does have a plant in El Salvador now, BUT only some of their product is made there... and at that even some of the jackets that are labeled as such only have a portion of the work done there. As in some jackets are completely patterned and cut up here then stitched down there, or certain specialized details are cut up here and sent with pattern down there for assembly. Anyway, there is still quite a bit totally made here, and yes I know the individuals who travel back and forth to oversee things for a month or more at a time. Even the owner travels down there to live part time to help run things the same way he does up here in the states. If it weren't for the label you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the craftsmanship.
I believe the custom Enfields I order for people are done for me in the MA. USA factory and will check with Vanson this week to verify for anyone interested.

It amazes me how hard our Government actually makes it for Clothing manufacturers to do well here in the US.

Peacoat

Bartender
South said:
Peacoat,

Do you know if the Enfields are made in El Salvador?

I had assumed their jackets were made in the US when I ordered mine...

No, I don't, but from the conversation I had with the salesman, I assumed there was a good possibility that the Enfield I ordered three weeks after you ordered yours would be made there. As he didn't exclude the possibility, I presumed it could be included.

Hopefully, you will be getting a call any day now.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Interesting thread. I am finding all this to be a little disconcerting. I have an Ike jacket on order direct from the company. It has been about six weeks now; so I am still awhile away from delivery. I was told 2-4 months. I would not be happy to find that it was made overseas. I wonder how much of the process has to be done here for it to say Made in the USA on it? Supporting American jobs is an important factor to me, as it seems to be with other members here.

mh

Edward

Bartender
I don't know exactly what the minimum standard is, but I have heard it said ni the past in the context both of electric guitars and cars that it's a fairly elastic thing, or can be, this "Made in the USA" business. If memory serves, for instance, that can include "assembled in the USA from components manufactured entirely abroad". I can't say with any honesty that the "made in the USA" label would be at all important to me, as a foreigner to whom both are "imports", though I would probably instinctively expect to pay less for a non-US made product. It does seem to me inevitable the the 'first world' will eventually end up out of the manufacturing sector on any scale; if that is going to be the case, it is encouraging to hear of efforts being made to maintain the quality of the product when manufacturing base moves abroad. Too many companies, in my experience, get lazy and rely on the power of the brand and lifestlye marketing.... fo course, I've seen that happen to a great degree in ome companies which never moved abroad too.

theman

Vendor
As to the Enfield - I got official word today from Vanson... all Enfields are made in the USA factory, the patterns have not even been duplicated at the El Salvador factory.
When the tag on Vanson says "Made in the USA" the garment has been constructed here... BUT when a Vanson piece is labeled "Made in El Salvador" it may have only partially been made there with some or all of the base work done here. I know it can be a little confusing but the USA factory is still ground 0 for the know-how and specialized equipment that make Vanson gear possible.

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
53Effie said:
Interesting thread. I am finding all this to be a little disconcerting. I have an Ike jacket on order direct from the company. It has been about six weeks now; so I am still awhile away from delivery. I was told 2-4 months. I would not be happy to find that it was made overseas. I wonder how much of the process has to be done here for it to say Made in the USA on it? Supporting American jobs is an important factor to me, as it seems to be with other members here.

mh
I received an answer to an email I sent to Vanson inquiring if I ordered a jacket from them would it be made in The United States or in another country. I told them that I had read on the internet that they were making the jackets in another country. This was the reply I received. It appears that you can specify that you want a "Made in the USA" jacket but that it will take longer to recieve than a "Made in El Salvador" jacket. That's the way I read it anyway. Now I did not specify the Enfield model so keep that in mind. I would call and see what they have to say about your order and maybe put your mind at ease.
Here is the answer I recieved from Nicole:

dear jim-

part of that info is true. here's the story:
jan 2009 Vanson Leathers opened up a new factory in el slavador. this factory is owned and operated by Vanson Leathers! right now they are producing textiles and some standard leather styles.
Vanson Leathers is owns and operated a factory and showroom in fall river,MA. custom suits and custom orders are done there.
You can request that a specific jacket is made in Fall River, but your lead time is 4-5 months.
with things being made in el slavador its more like 2-3 months.
your choice....

i have comets in stock and only a few left are made in fall river. do have a 42 but made in el salvador.
please remember that the construction and quality are the same. just labels are different.

thanx
nicole

Atomic

One of the Regulars
With a country like El Salvador I believe the quality of the materials are going to be great. If it were made in China or such I would be worried, especially at the $600+ price tag for jackets. China just flat out doesn't have the quality control among the workers and plants that some other countries do. Having said that I just ran downstairs and double checked that my Vanson was made in the USA. However, I don't think I'd have a problem buying a jacket from El Salvador. It would just take a bit for me to wrap my head around it, Vanson is THE USA leather brand. Perhaps a bit of a price break coming from El Salvador since its cheaper to make the jacket?

piranha

New in Town
The question of what is "Made in USA" etc. and for example "Swiss Made" is discussed ad nauseam on watch websites and such. The definition basically comes down to a percentage of the work on the final piece and "worth" of that item. That being hours of labor and price of the item.

Edward

Bartender
Atomic said:
With a country like El Salvador I believe the quality of the materials are going to be great. If it were made in China or such I would be worried, especially at the $600+ price tag for jackets. China just flat out doesn't have the quality control among the workers and plants that some other countries do. Having said that I just ran downstairs and double checked that my Vanson was made in the USA. However, I don't think I'd have a problem buying a jacket from El Salvador. It would just take a bit for me to wrap my head around it, Vanson is THE USA leather brand. Perhaps a bit of a price break coming from El Salvador since its cheaper to make the jacket?

I've seen some really impressive stuff coming out of China. Also some rubbish, though it should be remembered that wherever manufacture is outsourced to, the ultimate decision will always rest with the owner of the brand as to whether the good meet their spec and whether they are happy for them to go out with their brand attached. The real reason some Made in China stuff is rubbish is because it has been produced down to a price point....

Atomic

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
I've seen some really impressive stuff coming out of China. Also some rubbish, though it should be remembered that wherever manufacture is outsourced to, the ultimate decision will always rest with the owner of the brand as to whether the good meet their spec and whether they are happy for them to go out with their brand attached. The real reason some Made in China stuff is rubbish is because it has been produced down to a price point....

I whole heartedly agree with you. I have some amazing motorcycle stuff from China, but it wasn't cheap. However, it is more than just a price point fault when dealing with the lower quality items. I have a buddy that was a quality control inspector over there for various companies and he tells me that the Chinese people are much more accepting of lower quality products and occasional faults that most of the rest of world. That translates a lot into the effort put into the products being made as well. Quality of materials, fitment of parts, etc are lacking simply because, well, that's how the Chinese do it.

But, despite that, in the right conditions with the right controls very very quality product can be produced there. My point is simply this: with something I want top notch quality out of (like my Vanson jackets), I'm going to buy from a country and manufacturer I know has a reputation for doing top notch quality work.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is "loganscloset" guy a registered vendor here?
I hope never to see that eyesore of a .sig again... Hopefully he
can register and tone it down a bit...

That said, I think the buyer has a right to know where what he or
she is buying is made, for whatever reason. I recently bought
Viberg boots (posted elsewhere) and like their policy: they have
top quality heavy work boots made in Canada and they have a
separate line made in Vietnam. It's very clear. Now I got the
Canadian boots, but some models of the Vietnamese boots do
appeal as well. And for the record a lot of the market for those
Vietnamese boots will be Japan, so it's not just our opinion that
matters and there is a certain practicality.

theman

Vendor
Sorry for being an "eyesore" feltfan, I am very new here and only registered when another member came to me for an Enfield and said I should join, thought I could help answer people's questions... I tried changing the size tags to make it smaller, but nothing seemed to budge it down...I'll keep playing with it to not disturb you so much.

There I think I've got it now... looks like the size attribute does not relate directly to standard font sizing. Let me know if this is still coming up too big in anyone's browser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit