Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegecow Lewis Leathers quality

Finn Vigorous

One of the Regulars
Yes, you're right, it's not always that rough, and there's also variation in their veg. tan sheep. But they does look and feel different anyways.

This is smoother Rutland:

06.jpg

This is mine in reg. sheep:

iq5Zm7T.jpg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had asked LL regarding the Rutland and got the following answer:
"Personally I like the sheep skin because it shows more grain and has that patina which I like. The Rutland doesn't show as much grain, it's smoother and it's more a cleaner look I would say. Both very nice though and I've attached some further info on the leather choices. (Rutland is only availabe in Black)"

RUTLAND SHEEP LEATHER 1.1 mm - 1.3 mm, source:- UK

Our Rutland sheep leather has a smooth and soft surface with a rich feel to it. Thickness is thick, 70% chrome tanned with a 30% secondary vegetable tanning. Requires no breaking-in, nstantly wearable.

Black only

VEGETABLE TANNED SHEEP LEATHER 1.2mm - 1.4mm, Sourced in France.

Though the sheep leather is on average thicker than our cow and horse, it is softer and does not offer as much protection as cow or horse so is more suited to summer riding and casual wear, and for those who want a vintage look with very little ‘breaking in.’

This leather also requires more looking after if regularly exposed to the elements and can fade and absorb water if used extensively in the sun and rain, hide food will help keep the rain out but for riding we recommend one of the leathers below.

Available in 5 colours.

COWHIDE 1.1mm - 1.3mm, Full Grain, Chrome tanned with semi aniline finish, British supplier.

The cowhide offers high protection and scuff resistance and tends to need less conditioning during the first 4 or 5 years of wear and is remarkably water resistant, however breaking-in time is longer.

The cowhide we use is no thinner or less protective than the hides Lewis Leathers have used throughout its history for jackets and professional racing suits (worn by Giacomo Agostini and Mike Hailwood to name but two), but due to modern tanning techniques it is more supple, will be more comfortable, more water and scuff resistant, and will ultimately last longer.

Available in Black only.

HORSEHIDE 1.1mm - 1.3mm

Full Grain, Chrome tanned, semi aniline finish with a light pigment. Italian

Horse hide has a distinct patina due to its shorter fibres and so develops a finer grain and creases while breaking-in, favoured by riders who demand both protection and a classic look. Regular conditioning is recommended with horse to encourage the desirable traits and increase water resistance.

Available in 9 colours.

VEGETABLE TANNED COW LEATHER (Tea Core) 1.1mm - 1.3mm. Italian

Our most expensive hide, this Italian hand-crafted vegetable tanned leather is produced via a process which tans the hide to its natural ‘biscuit’ or ‘tea’ colour, it is then top stained to the desired colour. This process leaves the original surface of the leather intact, the finished hides are then lightly tumbled at the tannery to gently enhance the natural patina of the leather. This process means that each jacket made from this hide has its own unique character and is truly a one-off piece.

Damon141

Practically Family
They both look great. I’ll have to check on sizing. The site says only sizes up to 42 but I read on the board that they have gone past that.

Aloysius

The regular cow is tempting too, honestly. I think I might wait to try out the leathers in their shop first.

They've also got veg tan horse which is absolutely stunning, and dyed-through. Costs just as much as the veg cow though I'm afraid. It has the most beautiful British Racing Green colour however…

Finn Vigorous

One of the Regulars
Wow, interesting if LL staff describes the Rutland as smoother and cleaner than the veg. tanned sheep. The ones in Rutland I have handled over the years have been way more pebbly than the ones made of regular sheep and the Rutlands had that thicker and more robust chrome-tanned feel to it that I would not describe as smooth.

But I do believe they know their stuff best. There can also be great variation between the patches throughout the years and I have no experience of their latest offerings.

Anyways, it would be best to ask them directly or if possible pay a visit to their London shop. Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong with any of their hides.

Last edited:

Spiney

One of the Regulars
I wish I stumbled across Lewis Leathers earlier, they seem like a tremendous value and surprisingly quick turnaround for a custom fitted jacket.
I can’t decide between a Super Sportsman or Dominator.
There’s always both !

My Dominator is Rutland Sheep, and I like it. Comfortable and not too much striation. I think it works well with the design- I don’t want it too shabby looking as it breaks in over the years. It is my most comfortable modern leather jacket. If I went with a lightning, or a cafe racer style, it would be green veg-tan.

7amza

Familiar Face
Very nice jacket
Thank you, I'm very happy with it, but had I known of the tfl before ordering, I would have probably gone with the sheep for the lightning too as the cow does take extra effort to break-in, can be quite heavy and im not sure it breaks in as nicely as the sheep in terms of grain, drape and body moulding.

Damon141

Practically Family
I would love both but my wallet wouldn’t especially after ordering 2 Fields Leather. I couldn’t resist a custom fit before his wait is like Goodwear

Damon141

Practically Family
Below is my lightning in their regular cow, it is 1 year old and I wear it regularly:

View attachment 415077

For the sheep vs Rutland sheep, I have 2 jackets incoming (1 of each type of leather) and will share a comparison when I can!
I love that fit, and style but inevitably I will go safe with the sportsman or dominator because I don’t think I have the look to pull off the double rider. Looks great. Is that the normal fit or tight fit?

7amza

Familiar Face
I love that fit, and style but inevitably I will go safe with the sportsman or dominator because I don’t think I have the look to pull off the double rider. Looks great. Is that the normal fit or tight fit?
Completely agreed, the jacket definitely needs to fit your body type, I definitely don't think I have the build for a single rider such as @MrProper for instance.

This is their normal fit, which I think came out quite good considering the measurements were done remotely. I was initially interested in their tight fit after seeing all the LL japanese video reviews on youtube, but Rip advised me against going that route unless they can measure me in person as it is a very difficult to dial in.

7amza

Familiar Face
I would love both but my wallet wouldn’t especially after ordering 2 Fields Leather. I couldn’t resist a custom fit before his wait is like Goodwear
Is the lead time you received similar to the one advertised on the field leathers website? (12 Months)

Damon141

Practically Family
Is the lead time you received similar to the one advertised on the field leathers website? (12 Months)
Yes that’s what I was told. I’m sure it could go both ways and end up being longer or shorter, based on demand or the possibility that he hires help which scares me because I really like his stitching quality that drew me to them besides the bespoke option with a fit fabric mock up jacket.

Honestly that fit looks tight, perfectly tight, in the pictures it looks like it was the tight fit. So it’s probably good you went with his advice. It fits you better than his does in the fitting videos but obviously working there he intentionally fit his like that I would assume but it looks loose compared to yours

Last edited:

7amza

Familiar Face
Yes that’s what I was told. I’m sure it could go both ways and end up being longer or shorter, based on demand or the possibility that he hires help which scares me because I really like his stitching quality that drew me to them besides the bespoke option with a fit fabric mock up jacket.

Honestly that fit looks tight, perfectly tight, in the pictures it looks like it was the tight fit. So it’s probably good you went with his advice. It fits you better than his does in the fitting videos but obviously working there he intentionally fit his like that I would assume but it looks loose compared to yours
Thanks, I think the fit is a result of wearing it often including a couple times in the rain and me getting back to my lifting regimen post lockdown as it definitely was much more relaxed of a fit on me when received.

Here are comparison pics below:

First wear after receiving it:

20210629_181906.jpg

20210629_181913.jpg

Latest pic:
20220329_103150.jpg

Aloysius

Thank you, I'm very happy with it, but had I known of the tfl before ordering, I would have probably gone with the sheep for the lightning too as the cow does take extra effort to break-in, can be quite heavy and im not sure it breaks in as nicely as the sheep in terms of grain, drape and body moulding.

This makes it more compelling to me, I think.

MrProper

This is their normal fit, which I think came out quite good considering the measurements were done remotely. I was initially interested in their tight fit after seeing all the LL japanese video reviews on youtube, but Rip advised me against going that route unless they can measure me in person as it is a very difficult to dial in.
I was also interested in the tight fit of the Corsair/Dominator. But the dimensions are somehow too funny. Wide at the bottom, narrow at the top. Shoulders narrower, hem much wider.
1648840179134.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy