Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegecow Lewis Leathers quality

Damon141

Practically Family
I’m surprised too. Honestly if it wasn’t for the collar being so narrow it would feel roomy

I only brought this up because I saw threads on this where they were mentioning 8-12cm on top of your chest measurements and guys with 40” chest were going with 23-24” p2p. Maybe on a coat but a regular jacket I would be swimming in it.

pit to pit is a difficult thing for me to judge because closer to the arm pit, your upper back muscles make a wider circumference. If I go a little lower down I could be 115cm.

When they contact me back I can’t bring myself to go larger than 61cm because that is what the Himel was and it had room. Plus my chest won’t always be so big, I fluctuate and will get older and not want to carry as much weight.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When they contact me back I can’t bring myself to go larger than 61cm because that is what the Himel was and it had room.
Then a 42 should be your size for the sportsman. Taper as desired (but not every measurement works) and adjust the length of the body and sleeves, done.
Maybe order the shoulder width narrower rather than wider. Maybe LL allows a modification.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
1 inch is extreme. 2 inches is doable depending on softness/pliability of leather and other factors like gussets, arm hole position, etc. 3 is pretty safe and still pretty form fitting. 4 and above starts to look off to me.

If you go less than 3, what I've found is the shoulders need to be a little wider to compensate for comfort, otherwise yeah, it'll fit, but it won't be much fun. My 613sh vs my commando for instance. Both have 22 inch ptp and shoulder gussets. But the 613sh has a 17.5 shoulder vs. 19.5 on the Commando. Huge, huge, huge difference in how it fits, how it feels, and how comfortable overall.

Most my jackets are 2 inches to 3.5. So many factors determine how comfortable they feel though and it's not a given the bigger measurement looks or feels nicer.

Assuming you're going with LL sheepskin, you can probably push down to 2 inches of ease and be ok.

Aloysius

I’m surprised too. Honestly if it wasn’t for the collar being so narrow it would feel roomy

I only brought this up because I saw threads on this where they were mentioning 8-12cm on top of your chest measurements and guys with 40” chest were going with 23-24” p2p. Maybe on a coat but a regular jacket I would be swimming in it.

pit to pit is a difficult thing for me to judge because closer to the arm pit, your upper back muscles make a wider circumference. If I go a little lower down I could be 115cm.

When they contact me back I can’t bring myself to go larger than 61cm because that is what the Himel was and it had room. Plus my chest won’t always be so big, I fluctuate and will get older and not want to carry as much weight.

The same measurements will feel different on different kinds of jackets. Cross zips, for example, are often designed to have a big chest that tapers (V-shaped). The same measurements on another type of jacket might feel too big… or even just right. It all depends on the pattern.

My go-to jacket (posted often here) is 5-6" bigger in the chest than I am but that just makes the V-shape work. I have a much slimmer jacket that is 4-5" bigger, but the reason it is slimmer isn't the pit-to-pit, it's the fact that it quickly nips in to a straight cut instead of a V.

Pattern tells us much more than the measurements.

Damon141

Practically Family
If you noticed my 5 star has 49cm shoulders which make the arm attach at an outward angle. On many what I consider well fitting jackets you see the seam almost vertical.

Like we know Goodwear constantly considered great at pattern making. But then again There are excellent Lewis that have a slight slanted seam.
I might end up switching the Sportsman with the Corsair or Dominator and save my mandarin collar for a J100 if I can eventually find one that fits

If John Chapman had a 1 year wait like he says on his website I really would like his original Buco. He really has a perfect copy by his pictures

Attachments

• 4E02C487-4DBE-4129-948C-26A0B098E000.jpeg
    4E02C487-4DBE-4129-948C-26A0B098E000.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 2ED3D940-2A60-438A-B3BF-0BA771E7D694.jpeg
    2ED3D940-2A60-438A-B3BF-0BA771E7D694.jpeg
    783.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 51661451-E310-4563-AE77-0C59B5F0B9FC.jpeg
    51661451-E310-4563-AE77-0C59B5F0B9FC.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 79
  • EB2B4956-6618-4E2F-BB69-C0341609E7B5.png
    EB2B4956-6618-4E2F-BB69-C0341609E7B5.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 76

Damon141

Practically Family
@Aloysius
I love the look of the cross zips but I know people say just get what you want but I just don’t think I could pull off the look. My wife doesn’t like them for some reason and that doesn’t help with purchasing if you know what I mean. It’s easier if you make them think they are deciding for you.

Aloysius

@Aloysius
I love the look of the cross zips but I know people say just get what you want but I just don’t think I could pull off the look. My wife doesn’t like them for some reason and that doesn’t help with purchasing if you know what I mean. It’s easier if you make them think they are deciding for you.

Oh I'm not telling you to get a cross-zip. I was just giving an example of how a pattern might have a bigger chest without being a poor fit.

You can see the same phenomenon on V-shaped shirt collar jackets.

Take this Schott, for example: The chest is big, but it's a tapered jacket, not a boxy jacket. The chest generates shape, then it gets a straight diagonal down.

200_177.jpg

And boxy jackets can look good, too! All a matter of how the pattern sits.

Aloysius

That has a nice shape kind of similar to the Dominator

I think V-shaped leather jackets basically follow the same principle as structured men's suits– they will generate and enhance shape.

A slim-straight or boxy jacket can be nice but it won't have that effect. It's a bit more like the classic Ivy League straight cut 'sack' jacket in that respect.

Damon141

Practically Family
I’m thinking that the side buckle on the Lewis might help with that Taper, possibly tightening it when I’m slimmer abs loosen if I gain weight.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
The side
I’m thinking that the side buckle on the Lewis might help with that Taper, possibly tightening it when I’m slimmer abs loosen if I gain weight.
Side buckles don't really have that effect as they are placed at the base of the jacket near the hem, unlike halfbelts that have them higher and can cinch in that way. The lower side pulls just pull in at the base rather than giving a true taper - often creating more of a balloon effect above them that is opposite to a taper in that sense - best bet is to go for the closest fit with taper dialled in as needed and use side pulls only for v minor tweaks when layering etc, rather than for changing the underlying shape. LL do the best fitting jackets in my view - been doing it for decades - and if you go with sheep it can fit like a glove without being restrictive. The staff will give you good advice and I would trust them to nail it tbh. Good luck!

MrProper

I might end up switching the Sportsman with the Corsair or Dominator and save my mandarin collar for a J100 if I can eventually find one that fits
Then it could possibly be that you need to go to a size 44.
According to the size chart, the Corsair/Dominator has slightly less P2P than the Sportsman.
I still stayed at 42 and it fits well.
With a big difference P2P/Hem, the V-shape is not perfect. Despite the V-shape, this results in too much material around the belly. However, LL unfortunately does not offer a Y-shape.
To the style, however, it still fits. Only the expectation should be adjusted.

7amza

Familiar Face
Pit to pit. I know this has been discussed to death on this site.

Some say 1” and so many say 3” to 5”

Depending on how high or low or even the tape is I have measured more back/Lat muscles which I can range from 46” to 48”

The five star below was 60cm p2p about 23.6 and the Himel was surprisingly loose at 24” p2p

I guess I’m wondering if I can get away with a tighter chest fit if I have more room in the waist that the 5star
In addition to all the excellent insight you received from everyone else, as small tip, if you haven't already, is to check the measurement videos Rip has on the LL website.

That will give you clarification on how LL wants you to measure chest size, hem, length etc.

Damon141

Practically Family
In addition to all the excellent insight you received from everyone else, as small tip, if you haven't already, is to check the measurement videos Rip has on the LL website.

That will give you clarification on how LL wants you to measure chest size, hem, length etc.
Rip finally contacted me.
Ironically I think they are short of staff because they had an ad on instagram for a job opening for webstore support.
Although I appreciate his videos the way he took the chest measurement so fast it doesn’t really show too much. I’m confident that he will answer all my concerns due to everyone’s positive experience.

So if anyone in London is interested…….

Attachments

• 0EF60D77-0F68-4AF5-BD3E-F9DDE36F3BBD.png
    0EF60D77-0F68-4AF5-BD3E-F9DDE36F3BBD.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 66

7amza

Familiar Face
Rip finally contacted me.
Ironically I think they are short of staff because they had an ad on instagram for a job opening for webstore support.
Although I appreciate his videos the way he took the chest measurement so fast it doesn’t really show too much. I’m confident that he will answer all my concerns due to everyone’s positive experience.

So if anyone in London is interested…….
Yes I did see the job opening advertised with LL - I am hoping it doesn't affect current production time on jackets as well

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Hi Folks - I am planning on another LL but going for a crosszip this time - I was wondering if you had any insights in the amount of front drop (or lack thereof) on the Lightnings, Cyclone and Super Monza? I seem to recall seeing a graphic on FL somewhere actually showing these side by side but cannot recall where? I think the Lightning might have some front drop, but the SM actually seems like it might be longer at the back than front and I have no idea about the Cyclone….any insights gratefully received!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Hi Folks - I am planning on another LL but going for a crosszip this time - I was wondering if you had any insights in the amount of front drop (or lack thereof) on the Lightnings, Cyclone and Super Monza? I seem to recall seeing a graphic on FL somewhere actually showing these side by side but cannot recall where? I think the Lightning might have some front drop, but the SM actually seems like it might be longer at the back than front and I have no idea about the Cyclone….any insights gratefully received!
My lightning Cyclone and Supermonza don't have any front drop at all.

4A0E4EE2-2632-4AEA-BEFE-EFCF0FF979F0.jpeg
99EF4676-60BC-4AEE-B637-37C849BE2ED7.jpeg
7AF18105-9D4E-4FA9-A315-85568E61C5F9.jpeg
4D0FADD8-6863-465D-B35D-27399810A23F.jpeg
C2B90047-A2D5-4399-9826-0F68B750B9E0.jpeg
E2A2AB0D-350F-408E-A128-17BDE3C035F2.jpeg
98854197-A345-4F8D-9F4A-A6CEF3A51442.jpeg

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Thanks Marc - that is incredibly helpful!! Hmmm…decisions, decisions! Just out of interest, which of those three patterns you have is your favourite - what are the key pros and cons of each? Cheers!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Marc - that is incredibly helpful!! Hmmm…decisions, decisions! Just out of interest, which of those three patterns you have is your favourite - what are the key pros and cons of each? Cheers!
The Super Monza was a bit too long for my taste. I'm also not a huge fan of the split back panel. I think I like the Lightning best because of its iconic design. If I had to order one today I would opt for the lightning 402 with the straps on the back. I think that's LL best design.

1E5469CD-EFF8-4E06-A54C-FE1B891755C6.jpeg
0A66ED14-29F8-4774-A3C3-B533404FA446.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ