Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage 1950's Christmas Festivities

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I adore Christmas, especially traditional ones. My favourite part is the huge old fashioned dinner: The big turkey, the homemade stuffing, pâté, and a nice cake for dessert. My mum and I usually make candy cake cookies, too.
We have as many family members as possible, and therefore, as much wine as possible. ;) Husbands and children especially enjoy the food, and don't forget the big tree!

bill+davids+1955+christmas.jpg

ETA: I found this link of a child's account of 1950's Christmas, theres even a fudge recipe. Yum!

Last edited:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Christmas is my favorite time of year. There are many great threads on the Lounge, from Christmas music to vintage decorating. Happy searching!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Okay C-Dot you talked me into it. I suppose I just start driving north eh? :D
My wife and I do dinner ourselves, because my sister and her family go one direction, while my father and his wife go another...Works out nice though, we can watch OUR favorite movies, cook something we want to eat, and take it easy.
I love Christmas too Flat-Top.
I'm going to check these threads out. Shoot, I might even put up my vintage Aluminum tree up this year.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I usually start doing Christmas stuff waaay too early. Especially listening to the music. I work in retail, so it stinks that the I'm almost never home during the most wonderful time of the year. And the whole thing goes by entirely too quickly for me.
I'm actually challenging myself this year to at least wait until November to start listening to Christmas music.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm going to check these threads out. Shoot, I might even put up my vintage Aluminum tree up this year.

Get the biggest aluminum tree you can find, and maybe paint it pink! lol

I usually start doing Christmas stuff waaay too early. Especially listening to the music. I work in retail, so it stinks that the I'm almost never home during the most wonderful time of the year. And the whole thing goes by entirely too quickly for me.
I'm actually challenging myself this year to at least wait until November to start listening to Christmas music.

Oh yes, the mall gets a flying jump ahead of everyone on the holiday season. I make myself wait until November first, then I play Andy Williams in the car :D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Wait, you're in retail? You'll never make it. I'm betting by Nov 4-5th the music will be on, to join the items already on some shelves.
C-Dot my tree is a 5ft "pom-pom", Peco brand.
I've seen some larger ones, and now there are reproduced trees that come as high as 7-8ft AND in pink.
One other thing since you asked...I saw a "snow" machine for trees. Apparently the tree sits in a large round collapsable tub, and the fake snow is drawn up into the circumference of the tree, shoots it over the tree, falling down like real snow, and then the loose stuff is collected for another cycle, at the base.

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
One other thing since you asked...I saw a "snow" machine for trees. Apparently the tree sits in a large round collapsable tub, and the fake snow is drawn up into the circumference of the tree, shoots it over the tree, falling down like real snow, and then the loose stuff is collected for another cycle, at the base.

Those sound similar to the big things people put on their lawns, but they usually have snowmen or Santa Claus inside lol

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
http://www.christmastreesgalore.com/specialty-christmas-trees/colored-trees/bubbletreesilver.cfmC-Dot, you've got me in trouble now.
Stupid me, I went to Christmastreesgalore.com, and then blurted out to my wife "oh you've got to see this one..." I can see this coming to my doorstep in the next week or so. The trunk has LED lighting, that swithes between colors. Also you fill the trunk with water, and it "bubbles." You can also control the size and speed of the bubbles.
I swear I should just keep my mouth shut.
They have large pink trees too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran