Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Everyone looks so cute in their suits! Maybe I'll post mine tonight!

Mine is a 1950's (I think) junior's bikini! It's pale yellow with white kooky rick rack type stuff all over it and has a giant metal zipper up the butt! I don't think I'll be swimming in it anytime soon, but it is pretty cute.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I am so excited, can't wait for summer. I just got my Esther Williams one piece swimsuit. It is so well made, comfortable and just darn cute. I am most impressed that it has enough support for my 36D bust, so the halter tie is purely for looks, not an attempt to hold me up.
I love everyone's vintage suits, you all look great. Doesn't it seem a little silly buying swimsuits when it's freezing outside?
dorky010.jpg
[/IMG]

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Sorry, the photo is a little blurry and dark, but probably better that way - I am a little pasty due to the winter. I love my new hat too, I found it at a local antique store and just couldn't pass it up.

swankysister

New in Town
Otago Museum (Dunedin, New Zealand...that's in the Southern Hemisphere :) ) is currently staging an exhibition about vintage swimwear.

Not much on the museum website I'm afraid, but I received through my workplace, a 2008 calendar with piccies of mostly older one piece swimwear.

If you would like this calendar, the first one to PM me will receive it for the cost of postage (less than $5 Australian, I'd imagine).

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread, so mods, do what you feel is best.

Does anyone have or wear swimsuit cover-ups? What was typically worn? I've given up on finding a bathing suit pattern, so I'm going to make a suit from shorts and a halter top pattern. Normally, I think it would be ok, but our favorite anniversary hotel requires a cover-up from hotel room to pool. Any recommendations or pics of examples?

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Goldwyn girl, it must be so difficult to do!!! Which fabric have you utilized?? I didn't know that vintage bathing suits patterns were available!!! I learn thing everyday lol lol lol lol lol!!!!!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't forget the parasol...

l_9df683a567be4b38cbcbc716582fe1c4.jpg

It's not a vintage suit, but I like it that it has the little side draped modesty panel like a vintage one! And I just can't see putting my vintage ones through saltwater.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I want one of the Revamp suits but I'd have to be able to try it on first. I am afriade that most of the skirted ones will be the most unflatterng length for my thighs.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Anyone know anything about Gabar swimsuits/playsuits? I bought a little cotton skirty playsuit that the seller says is 40s, but I can't find any reference to anything earlier than 50s. Not that I mind, but it'd be nice to know!

LuckyKat

Practically Family
I have two all wool vintage suits that I've worn in the ocean & the pool...& as long as I clean them with tap water when I'm done swimming, there are no issues...just take care of your vintage & it'll make you stand out & look good in the summer, especially for the women...

LuckyKat

Practically Family
Cherry_Bombb said:
For anyone who might be interested...

I found this book by accident on Amazon not too long ago:
1888054778.jpg

I'm in love! It's not a "history of the bathing suit" kind of book, but rather a photographic reference to what the starlets wore. It's super cheap on Amazon right now too!! And you can see some of the inside of the book before ordering.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunkissed-Hol...577665?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174492400&sr=1-19

My buddy Josh wrote/put that book together...I'm sure if you get a copy & want it signed or want to know more info, he could tell you!
Email him on myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=334588

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Hubby has given me the OK to get a suit for our Florida trip next month. Yay! How do the Esther Williams suits fit? According to the sizing chart, my waist and hip fit the size 14 but bust won't even fit the 16. In regular clothes, I wear a size 12.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Hubby has given me the OK to get a suit for our Florida trip next month. Yay! How do the Esther Williams suits fit? According to the sizing chart, my waist and hip fit the size 14 but bust won't even fit the 16. In regular clothes, I wear a size 12.

:eek:fftopic: Not to be a thread-jacker but Where in Florida?

Smantha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo