Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Kamikat, if you're still looking for cover-up ideas, I found this pattern for possible inspiration:

146k.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
swingtimegal said:
Kamikat, if you're still looking for cover-up ideas, I found this pattern for possible inspiration:

146k.jpg

That's cute! I like the suit, too, but I'm not ready for a 2 piece, yet.

Gigi

New in Town
I tried looking on ebay for a vintage bathing suit, but I have a hard time finding ones I like and that fit at the same time. Last year I found a new suit that was very retro-inspired and I'm quite happy with it. I found it by chance. When I search now all I get is "rockabilly" suits that are very skimpy and not quite what I'd consider classic. Does anyone know where to find any vintage (specifically 50s) inspired one pieces that won't break the bank?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
It depends on what you mean by "break the bank". Any nice suit will break the bank, retro or not. The Esther Williams suits run $79. I found some nice suits that look very similar to the Esther Williams one piece suit at Land's End for nearly $90. The cheapest retro suit I've found is what looks like either the Esther Williams suit or a direct copy at mybabyjo.com for $69.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
kamikat said:
It depends on what you mean by "break the bank". Any nice suit will break the bank, retro or not. The Esther Williams suits run $79. I found some nice suits that look very similar to the Esther Williams one piece suit at Land's End for nearly $90. The cheapest retro suit I've found is what looks like either the Esther Williams suit or a direct copy at mybabyjo.com for $69.

I just ordered the my baby jo one for my honeymoon I will give ya'll a picture and report when I get back.

Samantha

scarlett

One of the Regulars
KamiKat - I got my Esther Williams suit from My Baby Jo and went with the smaller size and it fits great. The suits are made very well, lots of support (it is an actual Esther Williams suit) You could call MyBabyJo and ask about the exchange policy on the suits, I shop there all the time and they are very helpful. Good luck and have loads of fun on your trip.
dorky013.jpg
[/IMG]

Shearer

Practically Family
Gigi - the Esther Williams suits are worth the price. You can order directly from the website or from mybabyjo.com (it IS the same suit.)

I have both the black and the red sheaths and as you can see from my photo, it works well for blindingly white, flat-chested people! lol

2295621510_9a5661aa61_o.jpg

(Doing my Heather Mills impression, apparently!)

Personally, I think they're worth the price considering how high vintage can go on eBay and how pricey suits are at stores.

I am pretty sure that My Baby Jo will let you exchange the suit if it doesn't fit. If I recall correctly, the bathing suit has a sticker in the crotch that you remove if the fit is right and you decide to keep it. But they won't take returns if the sticker is missing. But I've bought stuff from them and they are always timely with their shipping and very helpful if you have questions or problems.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I ended up ordering directly from Esther Williams because mybabyjo had limited colors in my size. I ordered a 14, which is up a size in the waist and hip, but down a size in the bust. I hope it fits!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
ladies, please post pics of the esther williams suits (and thanks for doing so, shearer)! i'm vowing to get myself one before summer hits so i can avoid the whole last-minute bathing-suit panic, which usually results in me not getting a swimsuit and hating my body for a week. :rolleyes:

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
ladies, please post pics of the esther williams suits (and thanks for doing so, shearer)! i'm vowing to get myself one before summer hits so i can avoid the whole last-minute bathing-suit panic, which usually results in me not getting a swimsuit and hating my body for a week. :rolleyes:

You will not hate your body in an esther williams suit. I used to hate the way I looked in bikinis but when I slipped on my new esther williams one I love it! It will hit you in the right spot to make you look your best. Thats worth the money right there.

Samantha

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
retrogirl1941 said:
You will not hate your body in an esther williams suit. I used to hate the way I looked in bikinis but when I slipped on my new esther williams one I love it! It will hit you in the right spot to make you look your best. Thats worth the money right there.

Samantha

the thing i'm concerned about is getting a size that will fit *all* my measurements. no two are in the same size category! my top is a 16, my waist is a little over a 16, and my hips are between a 10 and 12! i'm not curvy in a vintage way, i guess... or a modern way since more modern suits don't fit either! :p

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
the thing i'm concerned about is getting a size that will fit *all* my measurements. no two are in the same size category! my top is a 16, my waist is a little over a 16, and my hips are between a 10 and 12! i'm not curvy in a vintage way, i guess... or a modern way since more modern suits don't fit either! :p

Well does the esther williams site have mix and match bottoms? Maybe you check that out.

Samantha

Shearer

Practically Family
No problem, ShooShoo!

I totally agree with Samantha, too. The EW suits are really flattering... they're made out of a good blend of materials. It's almost like putting on a light girdle or something :D But they won't flatten out your boobs or give you any weird lines.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
have any pear shaped gals tried the EW suits? I want one but I don't think it will help where I need help and I don't really like the skirted halter suit for some reason.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I normally hate posing for photos, but I was so thrilled with my first Esther Williams suit, I couldn't resist doing a Betty Grable impression. The suit is still in great condition, even though it gets a lot of use. I would guess this photo to be c. 1995. I ordered a suit from the website in more recent years, and went by the size chart. It fits okay, but I think it would be more flattering if I had gone one size down, if not two. They do stretch a lot, as others have mentioned. The one in the photo is the same as my normal dress size; the online sizing chart had me going up two sizes.
47b8dc06b3127cceb5f47a4d8e6500000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters