Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Damn, Kamikat!

You look hella fine. Every time I fall off my diet wagon, when I see another picture of you I climb back on!!!
What a cute suit too, and if you can't wear cherries on a bathing suit, what can you wear them on! Bathing suits shouldn't be too serious.

olive bleu

One Too Many
anyone ever bought a suit from revamp vintage?

libby-04-06-1.jpg

I am thinking about a swim dress...........
http://www.revampvintage.com/index1.html

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aw, you ladies all look great in your suits!!

Olive, I have ordered quite a few items from ReVamp over the years, including a swim suit. All of her things are very well made. She will also work with you as far as sizing goes. I'm not sure how she's doing it now, but it used to be that you could just email her and tell her how you want it to fit, rather than ordering just a straight up typical size. She is busier nowadays and I haven't ordered in a while so I'm not sure if it's still the same. Every thing I have from her is awesome, well made, and fits perfectly. She is well worth the money!! I would take a picture of me in the suit, but I was a size 2 when I ordered it, which I'm definitely not any more:(. Guess it's time for me to get a new one!! She also has a lot more options now than when I got mine. Oh, and if you're looking for a great pair of high wasted pants, hers are amazing!! (sorry nothing to do with swim wear but I just had to add that) Hemingway Jones has had a jacket made by her and it's also amazing. It used to be that you could contact her and tell her what you were looking for and she'd make it for you even if it wasn't in her catalog. Also, if you don't like her fabric options, you can send her your own. She won't find fabrics for you, but is, or at least was, willing to do any fabric if you find it on your own.

So, since my suits from a few years ago are all too small and my suits from last summer are all too big, I need new ones. I actually don't because I'm not allowed to go in the water until the surgeon says OK and who knows how long that will be, and I can't go in the sun because one of my meds makes me burn:( But! I can sit on a chaise under an umbrella, so I'll need something for that. Plus, I like to sit on my roof deck and sunbathe. I'll just have to load on the 100 spf!! Gosh, all of a sudden my summer is sounding sad:( I'm sure by then though I'll at least be able to go into the water.

Magpie you're a girl after my own heart!! I'm addicted to JCrew's suits. Did you know that their blue and white polka dot suit is one of their original suit patterns. When I was a kid I got one every summer. They always mixed it up a bit, changing the styles, but I'm so glad they still make them.
I actually got these
This is called the "glamour top", it looks very supportive and has a vintage flare to it
91754_KV4841.jpg

91756_KV4841.jpg

I was only planning on buying one because it's early in the season yet, and they tend to have a bigger selection once the warm weather gets closer. But, I couldn't resist this one. It's blue seersucker pattern and I really like the style.
82741_WP0020_m_SP08.jpg

You ladies are totally making me want to get an EW suit!! They are so cute!!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
daisy, if you can't go in the water and you can't go in the sun....

that makes you the perfect candidate for a fragile vintage bathing suit!! so there's your silver lining! :D

olive bleu

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
Aw, you ladies all look great in your suits!!

Olive, I have ordered quite a few items from ReVamp over the years, including a swim suit. All of her things are very well made. She will also work with you as far as sizing goes. I'm not sure how she's doing it now, but it used to be that you could just email her and tell her how you want it to fit, rather than ordering just a straight up typical size. She is busier nowadays and I haven't ordered in a while so I'm not sure if it's still the same. Every thing I have from her is awesome, well made, and fits perfectly. She is well worth the money!! I would take a picture of me in the suit, but I was a size 2 when I ordered it, which I'm definitely not any more:(. Guess it's time for me to get a new one!! She also has a lot more options now than when I got mine. Oh, and if you're looking for a great pair of high wasted pants, hers are amazing!! (sorry nothing to do with swim wear but I just had to add that) Hemingway Jones has had a jacket made by her and it's also amazing. It used to be that you could contact her and tell her what you were looking for and she'd make it for you even if it wasn't in her catalog. Also, if you don't like her fabric options, you can send her your own. She won't find fabrics for you, but is, or at least was, willing to do any fabric if you find it on your own.

Daisy..thanks so much that really is helpful advice on ReVamp.Workmanship is really what i was wondering about. I don't mind spending money on something well-made.

The swim dresses are cute, and i have been looking at them for a couple of years..there doesn't seem to be a lot out there..there is a fine line sometimes between cute and flirty and old and frumpy.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Hahahaha! (I love when you ladies joke.)
artful dodgette said:
here's my swimsuit, you can't really see much as the picture is so dark! escuse my friends head too!!!! i picked it up for 3pounds in a charity shop, the swimsuit mind, not the head! ha ha!

swimsuit.jpg

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Back from Florida with a review of EW suit. While it looked great, it is not a "performance" suit. I tried to swim a few laps and it kept falling down. This a great suit for lounging next to the pool, but don't try to do any real swimming and for heaven's sake, don't even think about diving!

Naama

Practically Family
Ah! I would love to have the ones from what katie did

swimsuit.tn_1.jpg

or the bikini

swimsuit.bikini.tn.jpg

but unfortunately I'm too messed up to go out in a swimsuit :(

Naama

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Back from Florida with a review of EW suit. While it looked great, it is not a "performance" suit. I tried to swim a few laps and it kept falling down. This a great suit for lounging next to the pool, but don't try to do any real swimming and for heaven's sake, don't even think about diving!

but... but.... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

i have enough dysfunctional vintage suits (and if anyone wants a pink one it's still available in the classifieds ;)) - the EW is supposed to be useable!!

*leaves thread muttering and shaking head*

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
ShooShooBaby said:
but... but.... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

i have enough dysfunctional vintage suits (and if anyone wants a pink one it's still available in the classifieds ;)) - the EW is supposed to be useable!!

*leaves thread muttering and shaking head*

Well, maybe it would work for someone less endowed. I'm not lying. I did a flip turn under the water and one of the "girls" escaped. I'm very disappointed because it's the first suit I've ever felt good in and didn't feel like I had to throw on a shirt as soon as I got out of the water. I'm not giving up on it, just think I need a more practical suit for actual swimming.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
olive bleu said:
swim40.jpg

I just saw this in someone's personal collection online, apparently it once belonged to June Allyson.I want it.That is EXACTLY what i want!!( WHAAA!)

That would be MY collection! Isn't this a peach of a suit? I'm glad it's too small for me so I'm not tempted to wear it.

Lizzie

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
RetroModelSari said:
That´s horrid horrid news!!! I thought "If I can´t find something Vintage inspired in the stores, I might settle for an EW". Goodbye option :(

Was this a strapless suit she's talking about? I have the classic bikini and have done plenty of swimming in it with absolutely no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters