Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
PolkaDotMeggie said:
I have GOT to get one. What are everyone's thoughts on patterns? Is it just me, or are they limited to black/red/polkadot and animal print????

Only if you get it from mybabyjo.com. If you order directly from Esther Williams Swimwear, they have alot more prints. It does cost a bit more, but if you're gonna spend that much on a suit, you might as well get something you love.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
Here's me in my EW suit. It's a bit too tight on the bum though, but it would have been big on the waist if I went up a size :(

You look smashing! Oh, dear! Now I'm beginning to worry about how mine will fit!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
thanks everyone, for posting the pics. i just wish i could try one on first! i'm worried about the fact that anything i get will be both too small for my waist AND too big for my hips. i'm going to go post in the nutrition-and-exercise thread now :eek:

PDM, they have prints on their website, but IMHO they look pretty grandma. or like suits that were popular in 1992! except the cherries, i will proudly admit to liking the cherries!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Lauren said:
A friend pointed me to Ester Williams Swimwear. A lot of the cuts, if not fabrics, look very similar to those of the late 40's/1950's.

Lauren, thank you so much for this link! Those suits are adorable. Now if only I could do a coming out of the water smiling with hair and makeup still intact routine, like Esther did in all her movies...

Magpie Annie

Familiar Face
I just ordered this from jcrew, I love the retro style straps, and I am a sucker for polka dots!!!
91754_KV4841.jpg
http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod91754191&catId=cat300230
91756_KV4841.jpg

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod91756191&catId=cat300230

I just love Pri-Marche (as you may have guessed by now) they have some of the cutest bikinis in now, kinda 50s inspired I would say.

So I got one. a 6 squid bargain! I now have to pluck up the courage to actually wear it so I can go swimming and work on my wobbles.

It's kinda like the polkadot bikini up there. But red & blue with anchors on it (I think - it's not here at the moment!!).

My mum said I should get it because there's always people that look worse. I do like my mummy, she always knows what to say lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I can't believe I'm gonna show bathing suit pictures of myself to the whole world :D My EW suit arrived today. Yeah, I know the cherries are cliche, but I love 'em. The fit is ok, but I guess it's the best I'll get without having one custom made. The top is a little small and it's a little baggy in the seat, but it looks ok. As for being supportive, well, I don't think I'll be doing any jumping jacks, but it's ok. I wear a 36G and it's probably the most supportive suit I could have without getting an underwire.
2325133468_0b78868f34.jpg

2325133396_835cdc236d.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Guys, I hate to ask, but I want to get an EW and I was also wondering about the size. Could you post your measurements and what size you got from EW, and how it fit? If that's too much to ask could you PM me?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Guys, I hate to ask, but I want to get an EW and I was also wondering about the size. Could you post your measurements and what size you got from EW, and how it fit? If that's too much to ask could you PM me?

I bought the size 14. On their chart, my waist and hips are size 12 (31, 41) and my bust is size 16 (42). I would say that the chart is right on. The size 14 is a little tight in the bust and baggy in the seat. I wear size 12 Levi's.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Looks like I'm an inconvenient mix of 3 sizes.:mad:

Well, it is a bathing suit, meaning the fabric is super stretchy. Even though mine is snug through the bust, it's not like I'm falling out. The seat is a little baggy, but doesn't look too bad. I bought the size that was in between the 2 sizes they recommended. It's not perfect, but still looks great. This is the most flattering suit I've ever owned. I say, double check the return policy, then buy the size that fits your "problem area", or maybe the size thats in the middle of the ones they recommend.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Well, it is a bathing suit, meaning the fabric is super stretchy. Even though mine is snug through the bust, it's not like I'm falling out. The seat is a little baggy, but doesn't look too bad. I bought the size that was in between the 2 sizes they recommended. It's not perfect, but still looks great. This is the most flattering suit I've ever owned. I say, double check the return policy, then buy the size that fits your "problem area", or maybe the size thats in the middle of the ones they recommend.

first off kami, you look fantastic!! second, how is the waist? do you think if someone got one that's too SMALL in the waist (but fits elsewhere) it would stretch nicely, or dig in and look horrid? i'm just wondering what kind of shaping is going on inside, if any...

bella, i'm 3 sizes too!

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Miss Bella - I got a size 10 sheath. Measurements are 36D bust, 27w, 36hip. The top is very supportive and the suit does have alot of stretch. There is no boning or other hardware inside, just a soft cup "bra" and a powernet lining across the entire front of the suit. It is a well made suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred