Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE CAPS PHOTO GALLERY

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Great stuff, Dinerman!

I reckon that this thread doesn't get a lot of new posts because vintage '20s-'40s newsboy caps are much harder to find than their vintage fedora, homburg, straw, and derby cousins. Or maybe Fedora Loungers just prefer new caps. Who knows?

I run across some really nice German made vintage caps but most are in very small sizes like the ones Dinerman posted. I will start saving photos to post.

T Rick

Practically Family
I've looked, so far haven't found even ONE in my size (7 1/8). I may need to refine my auction searches, not sure.

I did see this one at Henry The Hatters a couple of times. It hangs on the wall as a display of their former work, they say it's from the 1920's or so (and not for sale).

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The old caps are definitely harder to find than fedoras, etc. Cheaper originally, got subjected to more abuse so they just didn't make it through the years.Just like old workwear.
I think a problem with the old cap's popularity on here is the lack brand recognition. Lots of Oohs and Aahs over B-Wear and Hat people caps, because they have that brand. Who's ever heard of "Personality Caps"? Who's ever heard of "Eastern" caps? Lots of small companies- lots of store branded items.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I think a problem with the old cap's popularity on here is the lack brand recognition. Lots of Oohs and Aahs over B-Wear and Hat people caps, because they have that brand. Who's ever heard of "Personality Caps"? Who's ever heard of "Eastern" caps? Lots of small companies- lots of store branded items.

Very interesting point! There were no "Whippet", "Stratoliner", and "Open Road" caps, either. ;)

Mug

New in Town
A few vintage newsboys on ebay right now, size 7 1/4. Search "1950's Eight Panel Cap" if anybody is interested.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I recently ran across a large grouping of NOS vintage caps, unfortunately all size 6 7/8 or smaller. Wish they'd been larger and priced better. Most with tags still attached.

The old caps are definitely harder to find than fedoras, etc. Cheaper originally, got subjected to more abuse so they just didn't make it through the years.Just like old workwear.

It all depends the age, type and make of the Fedora you are looking to find. For example I have been looking for a pre 1940 P. & C. Habig Fedora of any size / style for 5 years.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BUMP

I know a lot of pictures are missing but quite a few are still there. Yeah!
Quite the inspiration for our in-house cap makers ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou