Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE CAPS PHOTO GALLERY

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

The Fedora Lounge has nearly a dozen threads about caps. Most of them overlap. Until now, none has been devoted exclusively to photos of vintage caps.

This thread will serve as a 1-stop photo gallery of authentic vintage ‘Golden Era’ caps. (8-panel and flat ‘newsboys’, of course -- but also other vintage cap types, from hunting to curling). Practically all of the caps shown are from the 1920s and ‘30s.

This thread aims to be a handy, easily-reached visual resource for those who want to know what vintage 1920s and ‘30s caps really look like. It will help us to spot authentic ‘Golden Era’ caps on eBay, in antique shops, etc. ... or at least to pick out the most ‘vintage-looking’ modern caps.

All photos come from Fedora Loungers and their posts over the years. If I’ve missed any photos that should be here, it’s due only to carelessness.

Maybe it should be designated a sticky thread? We'll see.

Courtesy of Marc Chevalier:

SaltLakeCity009.jpg

SaltLakeCity010.jpg

SaltLakeCity023.jpg

SaltLakeCity024.jpg

SaltLakeCity011.jpg

SaltLakeCity012.jpg

SaltLakeCity019.jpg

SaltLakeCity020.jpg

SaltLakeCity013.jpg

SaltLakeCity014.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
WOWWWWWWW.......

Fantastic.

Makes me want them all.

Thanks, Marc. Well done. Hopefully more will add to the gallery. Love looking at these - and wishing I'd find something like them in an antique store around here. No dice, yet. Sigh.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Some interesting history here:

"A 1571 Act of Parliament to stimulate domestic wool consumption and general trade decreed that on Sundays and holidays that all males over 6 years of age, except for the nobility and persons of degree, were to wear caps of wool manufacture on force of a fine (3/4d (pence) per day). The Bill was not repealed until 1597, though by this time, the flat cap had become firmly entrenched in English psyche as a recognized mark of a non-noble subject; be it a burgher, a tradesman, or apprentice. The style survives as the Tudor bonnet in some styles of academic dress.

Flat caps were almost universally worn in the 19th century by working class men throughout Britain and Ireland, and versions in finer cloth were also considered to be suitable casual countryside wear for upper-class English men (hence the contemporary alternative name golf cap). Flat caps were worn by fashionable young men in the 1920s.

The stereotype of the flat cap as purely 'working class' was never correct. They were frequently worn in the country, but not in town, by middle and upper-class males for their practicality. Mather says "A cloth cap is assumed in folk mythology to represent working class, but it also denotes upper class affecting casualness. So it is undoubtedly classless, and there lies its strength. A toff can be a bit of a chap as well without, as it were, losing face."[2] The British workman no longer commonly wears a flat cap, so in the twenty-first century, it has gained an increasingly upper class image."

YETI

A-List Customer
I remember this auction 4-5 years ago. I was going to offer the seller $50 bucks for the sole 7 3/8 cap in the lot. Regretfully, as I recall, the auction only went for around $60. or was it $90?

Courtesy of Mike1973:

ebaycaps4033.jpg

YETI

A-List Customer
I'm hoping the Japanese market can craft something with comparable details. The caps they've produced thus far have only been asi asi. And they've been such sticklers with denim, work wear, and rockabilly gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou