Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage clothing patterns

renor27

One of the Regulars
Ok once we find vinttage clothing patterns for men then what'
Over the last few years I have been luck found a few vintage patterns for men both on e-bay and in my travels. Also Folkways makes a few that are not vintage but do seem to be ok for what I like.
Now the problem who to get to sew them?
Am happy ot pay for this but have not found any one who will or can?
Any ideas, any lounger who might be able to help me?

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
I would first find a method of photographing and copying the patterns completely before giving them out to anyone. In fact i would only give out the copies. There are a few vintage pattern companies out there that may be able to help you out. They offer newly printed patterns of older styles. Perhaps they can copy yours.

As well, I think magnoli can make things for you from patterns. ALso there are a few people on here that make vintage clothing, but i have been away from the forum for a while and i don't remember who all they are.

I am learning to create cloths myself, but I am a long way off from creating a suit.

renor27

One of the Regulars
wintage patterns

Very good point about making copies of the patterns
I am not looking for suits: but an looking to have shirts, pants and shorts made. Have seen the companies that reproduce patterns most are for women but there are a few are made for men.
Folkwear for one, they have a pants-short pattern that is very close to a pre-war British desert pattern. Pants and shorts in the right cloth made from that pattern will go so well with clarks desrt boots or riding boots even sandals for that "gone native" look.

Find a good seamstress. In America i found it particularly fruitful to go to Korean or Vietnamese seamstresses: their work was invariably top-notch. They would not be good for a suit (generally they don't have the menswear background to do the jacket construction properly), but shirts and trousers they'd be great.

Ask in your dry cleaner's shop for who does their alterations. That person would probably be capable of producing clothes from a pattern.

bk

patrick1987 said:
Incredibly racist.
To mention any ethnic group noted for a tradition of quality in a specific area is racist?:eek:

If you wanted a samurai sword made I suppose it would be racist to say that Japanese makers would be a first choice?:eek:

If I wanted real Lederhosen, I shouldn't consider the Germans?:eek:

For Danish Ham, don't seek out the Danes?:eek:

I actually have taken a suit to a Vietnamese seamstrss for a small fix and they actually did good work, so my experience does seem to confirm the statement.:eek:

I have been to Vietnamese bakeries and restaurants and they were pretty darn good too,but I suppose to reccomend them might be considered racist.:eek:

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
No, but American seamstresses, Black and White, are being discriminated against even as we speak because of that very attitude. Anyone can cook Vietnamese food.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
"Good" versus "Bad" rules of thumb

I wouldn't say it's racist, but it is stereotyping.
Truthfully it comes down to the individual- I sent stuff to a reweaver and she did AMAZING work; I can't even say it's because she's black/white/asian/Martian b/c I've never met her!
I say, if you have a recommendation, make it a PERSON, not a ethnicity.

Moving right along, guys, you can find vintage men's patterns. Typically they come from the late 40's up to late 50's, but recently I scored a COPY of a mid 30's pants pattern. It has to be resized- wish me luck.
I also bought a pattern of German WWII pants, all three of the major styles. Can't wait to try out a pair of Panzerhosen....;)

Ryan

Familiar Face
There is a tailor in Auburn CA, hour drive from Reno, that is pretty sharp. He's not cheap but he's one of those rare tailors that can cut and sew. I've seen some of his custom shirts that he's made for clients and they looked good. I asked if he can make a pair of late 40's pants and as long as I give him the pattern, it can be done. Looking in the phone book he's listed under G.D. Fashion Italian clothing 530-888-9096.
You'll need to bring the fabric that you want it made out of. The Tin Thimble in Newcastle (the next town heading west on I-80 from Auburn) might be able to help you. A small fabric shop that actually sells fabric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart