Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage custom-tailored heavy wool English jacket - Dated 1948

BTJepson

New in Town
An old, heavy 'scratchy' wool with full heavy silk(?) lining tailored for a 'Capt. L.E. Mann October 1948.' made by Golding & Son Ltd., Sporting Tailors, Newmarket. I bought this a few years ago but have never really worn it. Judging by its excellent condition, no one has really worn it. There are no stains or tears, and I've only found two small moth holes. It's from a smoke-free home. I wear a 40R and this jacket seems to be just that, maybe a 39R. See the photos for details, etc.

Asking $100 (or best offer) + shipping. I live in Austin, TX

66e0d3de.jpg

a9d8e914.jpg

48e20104.jpg

6e104104.jpg

3d51a9b9.jpg

The two moth holes (photo above)

6f4340c0.jpg

908eb1e6.jpg

6acd28fb.jpg

ef573fc5.jpg

d51d34a3.jpg

Last edited:

BTJepson

New in Town
How about $75? $50? It should go to a good home and be worn by someone who can really appreciate it. It's style and weight don't match the climate in which I live or my love of mid-century suits.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I looked at this jacket and wondered how such a good condition British jacket from the late 1940s ends up in Texas. My guess is this:

Captain Mann was a US Air Force officer, serving at either Mildenhall or Lakenhall airbases, both of which are close to Newmarket (where the jacket was tailored). Then he got posted to Texas where he no longer needed to wear a heavy woolen jacket and it hung unworn in his wardrobe for many years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran