Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

KittenHasCurves

New in Town
I have med/dark golden blonde hair, and my eyebrows are several shades darker, more of a medium brown. They have always been this way. For some reason all of my body hairs (brows, arm, lashes) are brownish and my head hair golden. Thats one of the reasons I dont highlight my hair too much, because the contrast with my brows look strange. But I dont want to bleach them because I need the framing of darker brows.

Hausfrau

New in Town
I hate my eyebrows! I was born with very light brown/blonde bushes for eyebrows. By the time I was 13 I started over plucking and I had NO idea what I was doing. Now If I don't pluck for a few weeks my eyebrows are very patchy. Oh, and the worst is.. I shaved them for awhile and they grew back nearly black and very THICK..

I envy all you ladies with naturally nice brows!!

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
This might be a little off topic, but I'd like everyone's opinions on this. I dye my hair black (it's naturally a light brown), but my eyebrows are quite dark naturally. They are a dark brown, not quite black though. Every time I go to get them waxed or see a hairdresser, they ask me if I want them dyed black.

Now I've always read that your eyebrows should be a little lighter than your hair color, which mine are (and I don't think the difference is too drastic). I just get the impression that dying my brows to match will just be too harsh. Opinions?

I always thought the rule for eyebrow color was a couple of shades darker (not WAY darker) for light hair, and a couple shades lighter for dark hair, as mentioned before.

I think you're better off leaving them their natural color. I had black hair at one point, and my hair is naturally dark brown. I couldn't imagine having eyebrows that were black too. :eek: I think the hairdresser is nuts.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
My natural hair colour is light-medium brown (it's been so long since I've seen it I can't honestly remember!) and my eyebrows are a really light brown. I have to define them as I feel they add structure to my face. When I had black hair I used a brow pencil in black by Boots No.7 but I think it looked really natural and not harsh. Now that my hair is brown I use a medium brown pencil from Bourjois which has a handy mini brush attached to the lid. I recently bought brow powder from Mac (in shade auburn as my hair has some slight reddish tones) which is more time consuming to apply with a separate brush compared to the pencil. I think I'm going to need to practise more!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Audrey Horne said:
I have naturally light brown/blondish brown hair too. I dye it dark/medium brown but I dyed it black for years. My eyebrows are naturally light which looked awful with the black so I dyed them black too. The dye faded really fast so I also filled them in with an angled brush and eyeshadow. I pretty much had to wear makeup with this look though because otherwise I looked incredibly washed out.

In response to considering dark brown, I love it. I loved the black for the contrast but sometimes I think it came across as a bit to harsh/a little goth because I'm so fair. I found with dark brown I still get the contrast I'm looking for but softened a bit. I started out with dark brown and gradually transitioned to a medium brown.
Here I am with black:
2098467438_1be96b71c7_m.jpg

Here's brown:
2097689635_a87c883db1_m.jpg

The brown suits you better than the black in my opinion, it really warms your complexion up. I love the shade and am looking for something similar myself, is a home brand kit or a professional salon colour?

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Fleur de vanit?© said:
Does anyone know how to get those ever so famous Boomerang eyebrows made popular by Sherilyn Fenn? is there a stencil made to resemble them?

here are a few images

Maybe you could print her picture & use tracing paper to make a stencil, and keep making it larger until it was the size you wanted?

Fleur de vanité

New in Town
Miss Brill said:
Maybe you could print her picture & use tracing paper to make a stencil, and keep making it larger until it was the size you wanted?

I actually thought of using some sort of paper...(not sure what kind,and the tracing paper you mentioned sounds like an excellent idea) to draw them how she has them. I'll definitely give this a try. Thank you very much!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Fleur de vanit?© said:
I actually thought of using some sort of paper...(not sure what kind,and the tracing paper you mentioned sounds like an excellent idea) to draw them how she has them. I'll definitely give this a try. Thank you very much!

I have some vintage 1950s or 1960s eyebrow stencils around here somewhere, and they are made of red plastic & they snap/fold together in the middle & have ribbons that fasten it to your head. Nothing could be as maddening as that. Women seemed to do things the hard way back then. lol

swankysister

New in Town
Kevyn Aucoin recommended using white pencil to draw your preferred shape. You're able to 'preview' what it would look like before committing with a pair of tweezers.

melbournian

New in Town
Fleur de vanit?© said:
Does anyone know how to get those ever so famous Boomerang eyebrows made popular by Sherilyn Fenn? is there a stencil made to resemble them?

here are a few images

Ooh, I like the middle ones.

To be honest I only started plucking my eyebrows last year...I was never that aware of them, until I actually started grooming them. At first it was just getting rid of stray hairs, but slowly I've gotten a bit braver, and recently I started trying to shape them into an arch. I'd love to have that shape where it gets thinner at the outside but I'm a bit scared to do it just yet. My eyebrows and hair are both black naturally, but I have to use black eyebrow pencil (sparingly) to accentuate and get a bit of definition.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OH PLEASE!

Miss Brill said:
I have some vintage 1950s or 1960s eyebrow stencils around here somewhere, and they are made of red plastic & they snap/fold together in the middle & have ribbons that fasten it to your head. Nothing could be as maddening as that. Women seemed to do things the hard way back then. lol

Now I SO want to see of pic of you wearing it! It sounds so funny!
Like they never tried it freehand...

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
Fleur de vanit?© said:

here are a few images

I trained my eyebrows to go like this by plucking and then emphasising the brow with pencil,
the angles are pretty much governed by your eye shape,
you can get a rough idea by laying a pencil from the edge of your nose, to run over your pupil, were the pencil meets your brow is were the 'point' of the brow should be,
then whilst still having the pencil by the nose , move the end to run past the outer edge of your eye, and this is where your brow should stop.

i hope this makes sense!:)

Miss Dexeter

New in Town
artful dodgette said:
I trained my eyebrows to go like this by plucking and then emphasising the brow with pencil,
the angles are pretty much governed by your eye shape,
you can get a rough idea by laying a pencil from the edge of your nose, to run over your pupil, were the pencil meets your brow is were the 'point' of the brow should be,
then whilst still having the pencil by the nose , move the end to run past the outer edge of your eye, and this is where your brow should stop.

i hope this makes sense!:)

Wow! I'm so gonna try this! I've plucked my eybrows quite thin, but only one of them has a nice arch naturally (the other one is quite 'flat'!). It doesn't look odd, I just think that it does. I often say I will shave them off and just draw them on...

P

Paul

Such a long time since I started this thread, so many of you have posted photos of yourself, I thought it's only fair now to post on of my own eyebrow shape.

ey.jpg

I do not know if it's so vintage or not, I may go a little thinner in the future!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner