Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

texasgirl

One Too Many
I was scanning some pictures for a quilt I'm making and I thought of this thread. Here are a couple pictures of my grandma. The first one is about 1936, we think her senior picture- so she's about 18. Looks like she completely shaved them off. The second one is about 1949-1950 I think. My dad is the little boy on the bottom left. But it looks like her brows grew back, but they were pretty thin.

grandma1936-1.jpg

1949-1950
carter50s.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
I was scanning some pictures for a quilt I'm making and I thought of this thread. Here are a couple pictures of my grandma. The first one is about 1936, we think her senior picture- so she's about 18. Looks like she completely shaved them off. The second one is about 1949-1950 I think. My dad is the little boy on the bottom left. But it looks like her brows grew back, but they were pretty thin.

What lovely photos, texasgirl! I think those photo quilts are cool, would love to see the finished product when you're done.

As for grandma's eyebrows - looks like she did draw those in for sure. Did she keep them thin throughout her life, do you recall?

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks! I'll post a photo of the quilt when I'm done. My parents 40th anniversary is Feb 1 and I am making it for them.

Yes, her brows were always thin. Not sure if it was because they never grew in much or she just kept them that way.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Texasgirl.. those photos are wonderful.. i sure do love her eyebrows!

In highschool I went through my very thin eyebrow phase.. and now that i look back.. it didnt look bad..but it just wasnt right on my face.. hmmmm....

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
ohairas said:
As a redhead, I usually keep my brows pretty dark, but not black. But my red isn't as nice and bright as Hannah's, or I'd do them black as well!

In this pic, I had just lightened my hair to look more like Rose. I felt so washed out tho, and darkened my eyebrows like I normally do. Well, that just looked rediculous to be "Rose", so I penciled over top with auburn. I'm not found of this look on me, but for this it had to be done.
620799997_6cada9cd89_b.jpg

I had just come in from outside and didn't realize my bangs were messed up from the wind here!
620799537_da0bda91c0_b.jpg

What period is your dress from in these pics? It is simply lovely.
Sarah

Grant Fan

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I wear my brows in a 1940s shape. It suits me well and is a very flattering look (I'm lucky though--my brows are very light blonde, so I can pencil them in in any shape I like :)).
I agree mine are usually done in the 1940s shape and it suits me wonderfully. The only time the really aren't is when I have been lazy and let them grow out or when I have let them grow out and haven't had the time to get them waxed back into shape, and at that point I just think the bushy things down and get them fixed ASAP.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
newtovintage said:
ohairas said:
As a redhead, I usually keep my brows pretty dark, but not black. But my red isn't as nice and bright as Hannah's, or I'd do them black as well!

In this pic, I had just lightened my hair to look more like Rose. I felt so washed out tho, and darkened my eyebrows like I normally do. Well, that just looked rediculous to be "Rose", so I penciled over top with auburn. I'm not found of this look on me, but for this it had to be done.
620799997_6cada9cd89_b.jpg

I had just come in from outside and didn't realize my bangs were messed up from the wind here!
620799537_da0bda91c0_b.jpg

What period is your dress from in these pics? It is simply lovely.
Sarah
i am going way off topic here but wow I love your costume. I have never seen a Rose costume that actually looked like what she had on in the movie, where on earth did you find that?

Goldfish

A-List Customer
A cosmetic company in Europe has released some 50s eye brow stencils in a limited edition. What do you think, do they resemble the shape of the 50s?

(sorry I know they are kind of hard to see...!)

nzitg5.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Grant Fan said:
newtovintage said:
i am going way off topic here but wow I love your costume. I have never seen a Rose costume that actually looked like what she had on in the movie, where on earth did you find that?

:eek:fftopic: Thank you so much! This was one gown I wanted to be made as close to the original as possible... and I think we pretty much nailed it, possibley more so than the J. Peterman version.

I did a lot of research and went all out on silk charmeuse and velvet. My seamstress is awesome, I just draw out what I want. She's working on a Gone With the Wind gown right now, the green xmas dinner dress. It'll be pretty darn screen accurate too~
Hunting down the fabrics and notions is the hardest part sometimes. And they're not cheap either. Perhaps I should find a hobby that does't cost so much!
Ah well, I don't spend much on normal every day clothing, so I'm calling it even, lol!

Sarah, the flying dress is a movie repro from Titanic. I chose this dress because it was fashioned after an original gown from the era. The vintage gown had been black, and belonged to a rich politician's wife. I saw a pic of it ONCE, years ago before I knew how to save pics on the net. I have never found it again since. :(

If anyone is interested, there's more on my blog. The flying dress is all the way at the bottom of this page,
http://rosescarlett.blogspot.com/search/label/titanic

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Texasgirl, what a beautiful family!!!
It was so poplular to shave the brows entirely at that time but I just cannot imagine!! I'd look like a muppet!

Thanks for sharing these great photos!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks ohairas! I know, I keep thinking about really thinning mine out more for the 30s reenacting, but I'm too scared! My mom's are really thin from plucking so much and I don't want that to happen permanently!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Goldfish said:
A cosmetic company in Europe has released some 50s eye brow stencils in a limited edition. What do you think, do they resemble the shape of the 50s?

(sorry I know they are kind of hard to see...!)

nzitg5.jpg

They actually started remaking these stencils (I forget the brand), in the states too. I tried them and didn't like them. I use eyebrow wax/cream with a tiny brush and when I used the stencil, the wax went right through it. I could have tried a pencil, but with what little eyebrows I have (white/pale blonde), the pencil doesn't stick to the actual eyebrow hair.
I found the stencils to be more of a pain, then doing without. I was hoping they'd be great because my eyebrows are very sparse(always have been). What I wouldn't give to have thicker eyebrows to work with.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lareesie, have you ever dyed your brows? I do this for clients all the time and they love the results.
Many think they don't have much hair, but after dying and waxing they have these great, perfect brows!

On true blonds I usually dye them a very dark blonde to light brown shade. Could go even darker, afterall... I love Marilyn's brows and can't imagine her with lighter ones.

Lareesie Ladavi said:
They actually started remaking these stencils (I forget the brand), in the states too. I tried them and didn't like them. I use eyebrow wax/cream with a tiny brush and when I used the stencil, the wax went right through it. I could have tried a pencil, but with what little eyebrows I have (white/pale blonde), the pencil doesn't stick to the actual eyebrow hair.
I found the stencils to be more of a pain, then doing without. I was hoping they'd be great because my eyebrows are very sparse(always have been). What I wouldn't give to have thicker eyebrows to work with.

Esme

One of the Regulars
I have my brows shaped and dyed (and my eyelashes) every two weeks. It cost me about $15. Eyelash dyeing is illegal in the US but not here in Australia. I really like it as I don't have to use nearly as much mascara, just a bit to lengthen. I could live without the eyelash dyeing but I will never stop having my brows done, even if I have to do it myself. I love it.

Charbeau

New in Town
Esme said:
I have my brows shaped and dyed (and my eyelashes) every two weeks. It cost me about $15. Eyelash dyeing is illegal in the US but not here in Australia. I really like it as I don't have to use nearly as much mascara, just a bit to lengthen. I could live without the eyelash dyeing but I will never stop having my brows done, even if I have to do it myself. I love it.

I think it depends on the state in the US. I received my cosmetology license in 1997 and I had to learn eyelash dyeing to pass state boards in VA then. I have a few hairstylist friends in VA who still do eyelash extensions and dyeing in their salons.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
ohairas said:
Lareesie, have you ever dyed your brows? I do this for clients all the time and they love the results.
Many think they don't have much hair, but after dying and waxing they have these great, perfect brows!

On true blonds I usually dye them a very dark blonde to light brown shade. Could go even darker, afterall... I love Marilyn's brows and can't imagine her with lighter ones.

Sorry, just caught this...

Haven't dyed my brows. It seems all I have are these strays that come way down the brow bone. The couple that I have , where the arch should be, grow straight down and no amount of coxing will make them brush to the side. It's frustrating. It takes me a looong time to get my brows even, I guess my astigmatism makes it hard to stare into the mirror for too long. I like my arches slightly high, but what little brows I have, go straight across...ugly. Kind of angry looking hehe

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I plucked my brows thinner. I was aiming at 20's brows, but I think they still arch too much, so maybe the shape is more 30-32 eyebrows, even though they aren't quite thin enough. What do you think? Better before or after? Before and after photos:

Before
3309251541_0ff44ebedd.jpg

2851490464_ddb661c7fb.jpg

After
3386395473_9c1ac29740.jpg

3386395733_f1f33745ee.jpg

3386395295_8cdf83780b.jpg

3386395185_f484b81748.jpg

Kadri

Familiar Face
Wonderful,Laura Chase :eusa_clap
I wish I had such lovely brows!Alas,mine are quite light,thin and all round...odd.If I were to pluck them into right form,I'd have nothing left of them.And I'm certainly no good at drawing them on.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Laura, obviously you can't help but be beautiful no matter what you do. Having said that, I personally prefer the after eyebrow for your face shape and features, it's softer.

3386395733_f1f33745ee.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran