Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Tigerlily said:
So, I've been having a couple girls at my beauty school tell me that my eyebrows need waxing and that they need to be thinner. I keep telling them that I don't want thin eyebrows but they keep insisting everyday and honestly, it's getting a bit irritating :( I just don't think thin eyebrows the way they have them would look good on me, and I really like the 50s brow. I've always had problems with my eyebrows because the hair is very light and just plucking one hair makes it look like I took out a bunch, so I use an eyebrow pencil! I admit, they need to be shaped and groomed a little but I don't want to take a lot of hair out. I already had a bad experience with one of the girls. She waxed my eyebrows and I looked sad and as if I had no brows for about a month. Also, it's not like I don't appreciate thin eyebrows on others, but it's just that if my eyebrows are thin, I end up looking like a chola. Don't want that! lol
I just want some advice on what I can do to make them look better, how to achieve a better arch and a 50s brow shape overall. Please help. :)

Colored in a little:
brows2.png

Not colored in:
brows1.png

Some of the hair hasn't fully grown back yet.

It looks like some of your eyebrow hairs point down a bit. Have you tried combing them with a little brow brush (or even a toothbrush)? I think this will help them look cleaner. Then you can always add a TINY bit of Vaseline to help hold them in place.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Thanks MissHannah, your eyebrows look great and are very fitting to your overall look. You always look so well put together, especially with the red hair; I've admired it for a while now!

SweetieStarr, I've never thought of using a brush or vaseline but now that mention it, that is a really good idea. Perhaps that's why it looks like I have some spots with less hair! Thank you. :D

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Tigerlily said:
Thanks MissHannah, your eyebrows look great and are very fitting to your overall look. You always look so well put together, especially with the red hair; I've admired it for a while now!

SweetieStarr, I've never thought of using a brush or vaseline but now that mention it, that is a really good idea. Perhaps that's why it looks like I have some spots with less hair! Thank you. :D

My pleasure; please let me know how it works.

Kadri

Familiar Face
I naturally have very thin and light, incredibly oddly shaped eyebrows.They refuse to stay under control and the hairs grow in different directions.
Naturally they look odd and when I pencil them in,the result is even worse.

I have been trying to pull of the thin 30's style,but I don't really think it flatters my face much.Then again-there's not much else I can do with them as they are so thin.

Any suggestions would be welcome...

In this pic,my brows are very slightly corrected but otherwise natural.

01aprillKadriaprill157.jpg

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Kadri said:
I have been trying to pull of the thin 30's style,but I don't really think it flatters my face much.Then again-there's not much else I can do with them as they are so thin.

Any suggestions would be welcome...

In this pic,my brows are very slightly corrected but otherwise natural.

01aprillKadriaprill157.jpg

I think the thinner brow looks beautiful. Your features are very light and delicate; the smaller brow suits you.

Inky

One Too Many
I agree with Miss Amelina, Kadri. I think your brows suit your face and your style. At the most I might darken up the line a bit, but only because I like darker brows, even on blondes :)

You're lovely!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Kadri, you are so beautiful! Your look is perfect. As for the brows, the are perfect that thin. Perhaps I would draw them more defined and also draw them longer, especially if you are wearing dramatic makeup for a night out. Not necessary for an everyday look.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
SweetieStarr, the vaseline trick works perfectly. It definitely makes them look more groomed. I also tweezed a couple of the unneccessary hairs and they're looking somewhat better. Thanks again. :)

I agree with Laura Chase. Those eyebrows are absolutely perfect on you, Kadri. They make you look like you LITERALLY just came out of the '30s!

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Tigerlily said:
SweetieStarr, the vaseline trick works perfectly. It definitely makes them look more groomed. I also tweezed a couple of the unneccessary hairs and they're looking somewhat better. Thanks again. :)

I'm so glad! :D

DameIniquitous

New in Town
Anastasia makes a lovely series of brow powders and pencils for blondes and they're pretty light so it doesn't look overly artifical.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
DameIniquitous said:
Anastasia makes a lovely series of brow powders and pencils for blondes and they're pretty light so it doesn't look overly artifical.

I agree with you :) I have the brow kit and I LOVE the power! You can customize your own color with the two shades they have :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just went 30s...

and thinned my brows down to about 1/3 their previous size.
No pic, sorry, hubby has the camera on a trip. Pictures to come.

It was fun while it lasted, but now I'm suffering while they grow out and look awful! Consider it wisely before you decide to go thin.

I have heard that if you only grow back the ones next to the existing brow first, then the next line of hairs, and so forth, it doesn't show much. I might test this out if Senor 1929 hates my brows on his return!

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
When I was 11 years old, one of my grandmothers told me that I had her eyebrows and made me promise never to get rid of them. Naturally, at the time, I thought she was nuts. Now I totally get it. :)

I pluck stray hairs that migrate past the ends of my brows or too close to my eyes and I maintain a very slight arch, but pretty much stay true to Grandma Fran's eyebrow shape. My current problem: white eyebrow hairs. I have dark brown eyebrows and cinnamony-red hair. I don't know what the heck to do to prevent white eyebrows.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Don't pluck 'em! I used to do that when the first couple of white ones showed up. Been told most gals do that. Then I had missing brow hairs and it looked odd! In the last year I found out that the gal that I now go to for eyebrow threading also does eyebrow tinting (its NOT done with haircolor products- I tried that once at a hair salon, it looked really awful). I've been getting mine tinted for months (and our very blonde DD's too, but hers just occasionally)- it looks sooo much better... definitely worth it.

HazelSmutCrunch said:
I pluck stray hairs that migrate past the ends of my brows or too close to my eyes and I maintain a very slight arch, but pretty much stay true to Grandma Fran's eyebrow shape. My current problem: white eyebrow hairs. I have dark brown eyebrows and cinnamony-red hair. I don't know what the heck to do to prevent white eyebrows.

Tatum

Practically Family
Tinting eyebrows

Being VERY light, if I don't tint mine, they might as well not exist. I had an aesthetician give me a tip: Just for Men brush-in beard/mustache gel. I've been using it for years now, and it works great.

No eyebrows to speak of (I was traveling extensively earlier this year and didn't bother to do them, this is about 2/3 faded out)....
whateyebrows.jpg

This is with eyebrows...
008.jpg

I'd love to go even darker, but I usually don't, as one is darker than the other to begin with, and the darker I go, the more you can tell.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Hello everyone! I am quite new here; This is my second post.

I was reading the earlier posts in the thread, and somewhere in the middle it was asked if anyone had ever actually shaved off their brows to do the 1920's-30's look. So far, I think I'm the only one!
VintageEyebrowShapes.jpg

Here's me at 17. A black dye mishap left me without eyebrows for roughly a year. I was very into Jean Harlow films and biographies at the time - so it wasn't so bad! (The short, platinum hair came a few months later.)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
redid my 40s brows to be 30s shaped...

I was wearing 30s clothes for the ADSC Gatsby Summer Afternoon last Sunday. So I took the plunge and tweezed them myself to be a 30s look. Here they are with eyebrow pencil elongating them at the ends just the requisite bit.
374295872.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff