Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage fqhh

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Hello!

I know there is the search function but could someone please summarize for me the main differences between Horween's regular fqhh and the their vintage fqhh.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards,

Johannes

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Wondered that myself.
These are my questions:

Is 'Vintage' leather, old stock?
New hides that have had a worn in look applied
Or old jackets taken apart and re modelled.

I have seen jackets that have a worn in look about the seams etc, some creasing and other fake wear for those that cannot wait for that worn in look, is that the sort of thing?
JTeeeee

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think the vintage FQHH is a bit thinner, more flexible and more easily broken in than the regular FQHH. My black vintage FQHH Highwayman is breaking in nicely. HoosierDaddy has perhaps more experience than most, and hopefully he will comment again on this subject.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Wondered that myself.
These are my questions:

Is 'Vintage' leather, old stock?
New hides that have had a worn in look applied
Or old jackets taken apart and re modelled.

I have seen jackets that have a worn in look about the seams etc, some creasing and other fake wear for those that cannot wait for that worn in look, is that the sort of thing?
JTeeeee

My vintage FQHH Highwayman leather definitely looked new on arrival. My sample of tumbled FQHH looked used, whereas my sample of vintage was thinner and looked new. Maybe Holly will see this thread and comment.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Horween's vintage FQHH is tumbled in a large machine that looks similar to an industrial sized drier. The tumbling softens the leather like extended wear would do. The primary difference is the tumbling makes the entire leather more supple when normal wear will result in creasing and some sections of the leather won't flex at all with normal wear.

- Tumbling will lighten the leather for the vintage FQHH but because there are various shades of brown from the tanning process you can find some vintage FQHH that is darker than some standard FQHH. If you want the absolutely darkest shade of brown possible it will likely not be a vintage FQHH.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
It's a bit confusing since Aero list tumbled and vintage FQHH. They don't seem to have all their leathers listed either. No mention of oil pull FQHH in the new leather section on the main civilian page even though they still stock it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My sample of tumbled FQHH was thicker and had a broken in feel and appearance, whereas the vintage was thinner and looked new. In any case, the two samples were different. I'm not sure how the vintage is processed and would be interested in knowing.

JanSolo

Practically Family
From my experience tumbled and vintage are the same. The hides are given an extra tumbling after being processed. That slightly loosens up the fibres which leads to a more pliable leather right from the start.

After that tumbling the skins are given a slight roll with a warm rod which levels and renews the finish by heating up the tallow and wax that's inside the leather (same as if you remove a scratch on your FQ jacket with a hairdryer and gentle pressure with your thumb). Therefore it's not easy to tell which is regular FQHH and which is vintage FQHH. But the latter is more flexible right from the start.

Edward

Bartender
Back in early 2010 when I ordered my Bootlegger, I received samples of vintage and regular fqhh in all three colours. The vintage samples were noticeably softer, as you say, with a very pronounced grain. The black looked almost like photos I've seen of Aero's buffalo hide of yore. I wonder if the hot-rod-rolling of the tumbled hide is the difference between tumbled and FQHH? Seems to me there is a market both for a fqhh jacket that looks a bit broken in - hence the vintage, but I presume there must also be those who want a jacket which feels softer, but looks new from the off, hence the tumbled?

My experiences with Vintage FQHH.
Grainy..somewhat lighterweight..more relaxed(softer)..flatter less waxy finish.
Vintage Brown Half Belt...
100_0412.jpg

Regular heavy FQHH
Waxy finish. Heavier..stiffer when new..but eventually developes a marbled grain that 'Vintage' FQHH does not.
Reg FQHH brown Highwayman...
100_0411.jpg

HD

Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
here's my experiences with regular FQHH and Vintage FQHH - the same as HD already mentioned....

Regular FQHH - bit stiffer marbling effects - as you can see, its almost impossible to eat my icecream ;)
regularFQHH.jpg

Vintage FQHH - bit softer and very grainy - hope that helps. As you can see here I am able to eat more icecream ... :D
VintageFQQ.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Appears that the regular FQHH might have more of a tendency than the vintage to "crease" in the sleeves too. Correct?

Windward

Practically Family
Appears that the regular FQHH might have more of a tendency than the vintage to "crease" in the sleeves too. Correct?

I would like to say that the vintage appears more creases because of the lot more grain compared to the regular.
But the tendency to crease and the "number of creases" are very similiar for both.
The pic of the regular was taken straight out of the box - just to mentioned.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
That is vintage and not tumbled? Because the pictures on Aero's site of tumbled look just like that and the vintage pics don't. They tend a little bit more to old fashioned distressed.

I am expecting a couple of samples soon. But there is a limit to what you can tell from a small piece of leather about how it will look made up.

That is vintage and not tumbled? Because the pictures on Aero's site of tumbled look just like that and the vintage pics don't. They tend a little bit more to old fashioned distressed.

I am expecting a couple of samples soon. But there is a limit to what you can tell from a small piece of leather about how it will look made up.

I have a feeling That Aero has changed their names and discriptions of some of their hides. Seems Aero's Vintage brown HH is now called 'Tumbled'..and only the black is called 'Vintage'. In fact Aero's oil pull hide has changed considerably in the past few years. Nothing like the semi suedy hide of my older Aero oil pull HH Half Belt..but closer to smoother HH finish now.( I don't even see it listed now)..!
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1295

My Stuart (Year old)is of the newer black Vintage. It is as heavy as the normal Aero FQHH...but 'somewhat' softer and grainier..with a flatter(less shiny)finish. However not so soft(as the older Vintage) and will develope the marbling grain of regular FQHH. I quite like it...

IMG_0743.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have a feeling That Aero has changed their names and discriptions of some of their hides. Seems Aero's Vintage brown HH is now called 'Tumbled'..and only the black is called 'Vintage'. In fact Aero's oil pull hide has changed considerably in the past few years. Nothing like the semi suedy hide of my older Aero oil pull HH Half Belt..but closer to smoother HH finish now.
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1295

My Stuart (Year old)is of the newer black Vintage. It is as heavy as the normal Aero FQHH...but 'somewhat' softer and grainier..with a flatter(less shiny)finish. However not so soft(as the older Vintage) that it won't develope the marbling grain of regular FQHH. I quite like it...

I think this calls for some pictures! :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm guessing by the stewart's excellent posture, that pic was taken shortly after you received it. My brown FQHH is a bit over a month old and reclines nicely now. And just to throw this into the mix: does anyone know exactly how 'butter-soft' the Black Mid-Weight "Buttersoft" Horsehide is? Or is that a bit of Aero humour? (The FQHH can stop a bullet; the mid-weight, well, you're fine for protection from throwing stars, but that's all) :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
HD, you could be correct about a new Aero nomenclature. However, my recent samples of HH labeled as "brown tumbled" and "brown vintage" are different. The tumbled sample is softer, thicker, and more pliable than the vintage sample. The tumbled sample seems "broken in" whereas the vintage sample does not. Anyhow, it is confusing, and only someone at Aero would be able to clarify the situation. Holly do you see this thread? Methinks that maybe the rest of us are blind and only feeling different parts of the elephant (or horse).:D

HD, you could be correct about a new Aero nomenclature. However, my recent samples of HH labeled as "brown tumbled" and "brown vintage" are different. The tumbled sample is softer, thicker, and more pliable than the vintage sample. The tumbled sample seems "broken in" whereas the vintage sample does not. Anyhow, it is confusing, and only someone at Aero would be able to clarify the situation. Holly do you see this thread? Methinks that maybe the rest of us are blind and only feeling different parts of the elephant (or horse).:D

Wonder why both 'Vintage' brown HH..and 'Tumbled' brown aren't listed on the link I provided in my post then? All I see is 'Tumbled' brown.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy