Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage HAIRCUT

C

cherry_bomb

I used to have wonderfully long hair cut in a Betty Page style- short round bangs and reaching the middle of my back. Due to a lovely (ie horrible) joke played on my by my ex boyfriend, my hair was incredibly short (2 inches all over my head). But now it's grown out and is long enough to cut into something.

Problem is, I don't quite know what I want to cut it into. I know how to do all the lovely pincurls, rolls, etc. But I haven't seen any pictures of women w/ their hair down. Does anyone know where I can find pictures to take to my hairdresser?

Thanks so much!!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
so with this horrible joke, I take it this was a haircut while you were sleeping? I'm glad he's an ex-boyfriend now! that's horrible! hair to a girl, well, it's usually our pride and joy, I'm actually interested in the advice you get as well, since my hair is at the 'can't do much with it' point

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The ex sounds like a real, um, winner. Glad you are rid of him!

The good thing is that the styles are based on pretty much the same basic haircut--so what I like to do is find my favorite star (who has hair in my desired length--I usually go with just above or below my shoulders), and print out a number of photographs of her to show my hair dresser. Then he cuts in the basic style, and shows me how to set in the waves, etc., to get that certain look. If he or she trained in the old style, he’ll understand the cut behind the look and won't need to look at a 'down' photo to 'see' the basic cut :)

Do a google image search for particular movie stars and see what you can come up with; also try:

www.nocturne.com/swing/hair (though not all the pics are super cute)
http://www.geocities.com/proxima3a/ (Ann has some good photos)
http://www.geocities.com/ginger_rogers_picture_gallery/ (Ginger had some great short ‘dos)
http://www.geocities.com/proxima3b/ (Priscilla and her sisters had some good styles as well)

annhurrell002b.jpg

ginger_rogers_015.jpg

priscillarosemary100.jpg

C

cherry_bomb

mysterygal said:
so with this horrible joke, I take it this was a haircut while you were sleeping? I'm glad he's an ex-boyfriend now! that's horrible! hair to a girl, well, it's usually our pride and joy, I'm actually interested in the advice you get as well, since my hair is at the 'can't do much with it' point

I wish it were as simple as a new haircut!! No, he bleached my hair. And every time I washed it or brushed it more broke off. But yes, that (with a few other problems tossed in) is exactly why he's an ex. But on the good side of things I got to dress like a movie star in disguise for a few weeks until I could get it fixed! Scarves and sunglasses became my best friends! And luckily I was on Christmas break so I didn't have to confront any of my classmates!

C

cherry_bomb

Jitterbugdoll-

The pictures are amazing! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
cherry_bomb said:
I wish it were as simple as a new haircut!! No, he bleached my hair. And every time I washed it or brushed it more broke off. But yes, that (with a few other problems tossed in) is exactly why he's an ex. But on the good side of things I got to dress like a movie star in disguise for a few weeks until I could get it fixed! Scarves and sunglasses became my best friends! And luckily I was on Christmas break so I didn't have to confront any of my classmates!

That sort of happened to me... I used to have butt length platinum blonde hair, but because I did the bleaching myself and would overlap each time, my hair said, "That is enough!" and gave itself a haircut to just under my chin. :mad: Since then, I started going to a gal who does my hair so no overlap. It still breaks off but not nearly as much. My hair is now just above mid-back and I am wondering if I should get a styled haircut (versus a trim which I really do need) or continue to grow it out. I really LOVED having hair to my butt, but because I have REALLY thick, course, hair (75% cotton candy 25% pipecleaner) I am thinking it is weighing the curls down a bit and within 20 mins they abandon me. Boo!!! So I have a decision to make... stylish curls or long luxurious hair...

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
cherry_bomb--you bet! I still suggest going to someone who trained in the 'old school' while you are trying to grow out your hair; my fave hair dresser learned in the 1960s and could look at any picture and cut it exactly as needed. He was a gem!

Lolita--does your hair have long layers in it? My hair is quite course and porous as well, and does not like to hold curl either (which is one reason I don't grow it out as long as yours--I like it curly, and it gets to a certain point where it makes me mad and I chop it off :)) A good, layered hair cut will take out a lot of the weight and help bring out the curl. You may have to sacrifice some length, like I do, but I can't tell you how many people think I have natural curls :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
bleaching is VERY hard on hair, had an experience of that myself, almost cried at what it did to my hair, I've decided that natural color is a good thing!:eek:

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Lolita--does your hair have long layers in it? My hair is quite course and porous as well, and does not like to hold curl either (which is one reason I don't grow it out as long as yours--I like it curly, and it gets to a certain point where it makes me mad and I chop it off :)) A good, layered hair cut will take out a lot of the weight and help bring out the curl. You may have to sacrifice some length, like I do, but I can't tell you how many people think I have natural curls :)

The only "layers" that are in it are the ones it gave itself. :-/ I have been debating a layered cut as well... something along the lines of Pamela Anderson (no bangs). I figure that way I can have both curly and long and if need be, Marilyn the top (shorter) layers and tuck the underneath (longer) layers up to the nape of my neck. I have done this a couple of times.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have layers throughout--they are just long ones. The front is short and more angled, to give it lift. You don't actually have to lose length; it's just to give the hair more movement. The vintage cuts were designed to be set for the much-desired curly 'dos. Even Veronica Lake's hair had long layers in the back.

This is the last picture I brought in:
annmisc011.jpg

maisie

Practically Family
Wow, i love the hairdo and the outfit and shoes in the above picture, but i suppose it was Hollywood and evreything must be perfect!!:)

maisie

Practically Family
I have my hair layered so it is just about shoulder length, it is also very, very thick and having it layered and quite short is the only way I can have lovely bouncey curls, without them disapearing!!:rolleyes:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I find that my hair will get to a certain point and then that's *it*--it will hold curl no more, loses all its bounce, and looks terrible without a lot of fussing until I can make it to the salon again. It just "dies"!

Does anyone else have the same problem?

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
uhhhh... the pain of having hair bleached... In my case it was spoiled by a "professional" that was supposed to make me light brown highlights... In the end you couldn´t see those at all but my hair was ruined for years. Now it´s all back in natural colour and long again.. But I also need a new cut cause the ends split and my curls just hold with loads of hairspray and a lot of patience... I think I´ll get me a cute 40s page-boy.... And I know about a hairstylist that can do old styles (at least I know the street... now I save my money before me and my 40s book walk up and down the street...). I once went with my hairbook to a "normal" hairstylist and they didn´t understand what the hell I want so I walked out before a hair-desaster could happen ;-)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I once went with my hairbook to a "normal" hairstylist and they didn´t understand what the hell I want so I walked out before a hair-desaster could happen ;-)

Exactly--run away! Modern schools only teach to the trends of the moment, so most new stylists learn what’s current, and that’s it. They no longer have to suffer through hours of pin curl and finger wave practice, so not only do they do not understand the structure behind vintage hairstyles; they don't have the appreciation for the effort that goes into them either!

C

cherry_bomb

jitterbugdoll said:
Exactly--run away! Modern schools only teach to the trends of the moment, so most new stylists learn what’s current, and that’s it. They no longer have to suffer through hours of pin curl and finger wave practice, so not only do they do not understand the structure behind vintage hairstyles; they don't have the appreciation for the effort that goes into them either!

Maybe we could post the barbers/ hairstylists/ hairdressers that we've gone to as reference for someone who comes along later looking for someone dependable? I personally love Jenna @ Blue A Hair Studio in Huntingdon Valley, Pa. She loves vintage styles. Matter of fact the salon she works at is completely refurbished art deco. Everyone else who works there is also very proficient at the old styles. (Jenna's also the one who fixed my hair after the ex-bf fiasco.)

16_sparrows

Vendor
cherry_bomb said:
Maybe we could post the barbers/ hairstylists/ hairdressers that we've gone to as reference for someone who comes along later looking for someone dependable? I personally love Jenna @ Blue A Hair Studio in Huntingdon Valley, Pa. She loves vintage styles. Matter of fact the salon she works at is completely refurbished art deco. Everyone else who works there is also very proficient at the old styles. (Jenna's also the one who fixed my hair after the ex-bf fiasco.)

I second this! Frankly, I'm not even sure how to go about looking for a salon/stylist that is trained in retro sets and styles so a list of ones that FLers already know about would be quite helpful!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My original stylist retired las tyeat :(, but he trained in the 1960s (and once saw Betty Grable perform live!)

I currently go to a guy named Bernie (he trained in the 1970s), and I am drawing a blank on the salon name right now. I'll post it when I can think of it!

I suggest going to someone who trained in the "old school". Ask them how proficient they are at finger waves and pin curls, do they appreciate they old hair styles, have they worked with them before, etc. I’ve gotten good hair cuts from young stylists as well, but in terms of consistency, it’s the old school set that seems to pull through for me. Though really, the actual ‘vintage’ haircut is nothing fancy—the stylist just needs to understand the dynamics behind it and the how-tos for making the finished product look the way it’s supposed to look.

Katydid

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
I find that my hair will get to a certain point and then that's *it*--it will hold curl no more, loses all its bounce, and looks terrible without a lot of fussing until I can make it to the salon again. It just "dies"!

Does anyone else have the same problem?
I have really course hair but somehow it's very fine and yet there's a lot of it. That doesn't make any sense but my hair is heavy so I definitely sympathize with you. My hair's layered right now and about shoulder length. Any longer and *poof* there goes the curl after I take a brush through it too many times. Yuck :mad:

And a list of stylists would be great! I have a hard time finding a stylist for my everyday hair let alone someone versed in vintage styles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW